Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.1 Technical Support

Topic: Freeze on *BRAND NEW* MacBook Pro 15"

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

c18ccPRO InfinityMember since 2014
MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015)
2.5 GHz Intel Core i7
16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Graphics: Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB
OS X Yosemite 10.10.5

VDJ 8.1 (mac build 2587.1086)

After 5 - 45 minutes, music will continue to play, but the *entire screen* will turn grey or black, and there is no way out except to do a hard reboot. This has happened over 5 times this week, and ONLY while using VirtualDJ.

-I have disabled all internet options (Content Unlimited, etc) and anything that would cause system strain (how I could be straining this computer...I do not know)
-Audio only (no video)
-No outside controllers, devices, or skins. This computer is less than 2 weeks old, no other software is installed besides VirtualDJ 8.1
-I have tried a thorough uninstall and reinstallation

I am wondering if there is an issue with the 2880 x 1800 display? Any help is appreciated, as I'm feeling very underwhelmed. I left a 2007 Sony VAIO and VDJ7 for this "better" system.

Posted Wed 02 Dec 15 @ 9:29 am
Im running the same Macbook Pro just a little olde but same build. Just updated to 8.1. Will give it a test tonight as I have a gig on Friday. Will let you know how I get on.

Posted Wed 02 Dec 15 @ 6:25 pm
Okay, just tested it with no issues. My Macbook Pro is a late 2013 model. So we may have slightly different hardware. Fingers crossed that I get no issues on Friday. Are you running any other software on your Mac?

Posted Wed 02 Dec 15 @ 7:11 pm
Hmph.

No other software. It's a brand new, out of the box MBP with only the most recent version of VDJ 8.1 installed.

One thing to note- before it hangs up, the screen gets a little "glitchy". The last two times it happened, I was adjusting the column size in the browser and dragging songs into the automix pane.

I don't see how I can go on using VDJ at this point, after spending a fortune to upgrade to a new computer. Shame.

Posted Wed 02 Dec 15 @ 7:50 pm
If there was a crash log created you need it to be online so the log can be uploaded to the Atomix dev team.

There seem to be more crashing issues on the Mac side rather than with Windows. Was there any specific reason you bought a mac for VDJ instead of another Windows laptop as they are super expensive?

Posted Wed 02 Dec 15 @ 7:58 pm
I bought a Macbook Pro because I use Macs at both of my jobs- a record label and professional recording studio. I was tired of hauling around an 8 year old PC laptop just to DJ on.

With a MacBook, I can now easily integrate with the computers at both offices, my phone, my iPad, etc. I have no interest on going back to a PC laptop.

I suppose I could try Bootcamp on the Mac, but it is excessive, expensive, and inconvenient to have to purchase a Windows OS and partition my drive just to demo $300 DJ software. Correct?

Posted Wed 02 Dec 15 @ 8:22 pm
Well it must be something isolated or specific to your machine as many others are using Macbooks with no issues.

Try raising a support ticket and one of the guys will remote in to your machine and have a look to see if there is anything obvious causing a problem. From what you have said it looks like an issue with the graphics driver perhaps?

Keith

Posted Wed 02 Dec 15 @ 8:48 pm
Also if you don't use any incompatible hardware, I would advise you to upgrade to El Capitan.
The thing is that on MAC's you can't update just the drivers of your graphics card for instance... So, a newer version / update of MAC OS X may have fixed such issues if it's because of graphics.

Posted Wed 02 Dec 15 @ 11:26 pm
PhantomDeejay wrote :
Also if you don't use any incompatible hardware, I would advise you to upgrade to El Capitan.
The thing is that on MAC's you can't update just the drivers of your graphics card for instance... So, a newer version / update of MAC OS X may have fixed such issues if it's because of graphics.

Thanks, I will try that. No hardware to worry about.

Posted Thu 03 Dec 15 @ 2:01 am
Updated to El Capitan 10.11.1 and reinstalled VDJ 8.1.......same results. Help!

Posted Thu 03 Dec 15 @ 5:40 am
I am not a mac user but noticed a couple things.

c18cc wrote :
After 5 - 45 minutes, music will continue to play, but the *entire screen* will turn grey or black, and there is no way out except to do a hard reboot. This has happened over 5 times this week, and ONLY while using VirtualDJ.

I can get this grey screen condition every time on a PC but it is not just from playing audio and takes a number of steps. On a PC it has to do with video effects which you say you are not using and videoForceFullscreen set to 1 and one more step after that. I don't know if videoForceFullscreen is an option on a mac and should not be relevant for you anyway because it is for the video display which you are not using. So just a little correlation here but the end result is the same. Grey VDJ user interface and only way out is to end process for VDJ.

c18cc wrote :
I am wondering if there is an issue with the 2880 x 1800 display? Any help is appreciated, as I'm feeling very underwhelmed. I left a 2007 Sony VAIO and VDJ7 for this "better" system.

You might try changing skins and see if that helps. If you can change to a lower resolution display you might try that for a test case to see if that helps. As another test case, try to minimize the VDJ display so it is not visible and I think I would try this first. Since VDJ is redrawing the skin at default of 30 times per second it may have something to do with it. You might want to show a screen shot of your video settings from config here too as it may be helpful. These test are to try and isolate the problem and not meant to be permanent. You will need to refine the problem so that someone can deal with it better. Others with similar machines apparently do not have the problem which makes it more difficult. The fact that it is consistent for you helps though to try and isolate the problem. You might also try to correlate your exact machine setup specs, skin, etc. with others that have the same machine

Posted Thu 03 Dec 15 @ 4:01 pm
Did my Gig which lasted 4 hours with no issues last night. It was a karaoke night so was a good test. Was playing MP3's, Music videos and Karaoke files. May be worth going back to apple and trying a new Mac. I run with the standard default skin and my controller is a Denon MC6000 Mk2 and all my audio and video files where on a external HDD which was connected via lightning port.

Posted Sat 05 Dec 15 @ 8:39 am
AndyJay17 wrote :
Did my Gig which lasted 4 hours with no issues last night. It was a karaoke night so was a good test. Was playing MP3's, Music videos and Karaoke files. May be worth going back to apple and trying a new Mac. I run with the standard default skin and my controller is a Denon MC6000 Mk2 and all my audio and video files where on a external HDD which was connected via lightning port.

Thanks Andy. I'm well within the return terms, so I will exchange it today.

Posted Sat 05 Dec 15 @ 10:51 pm
Fingers crossed. For your information my Macbook was the entry level 15" version. Did you get the one with the graphics card upgrade?

Posted Sun 06 Dec 15 @ 8:12 am
AndyJay17 wrote :
Fingers crossed. For your information my Macbook was the entry level 15" version. Did you get the one with the graphics card upgrade?

I got the 512gig model w/ no graphics upgrade. Writing from the exchange I got today, and downloading VDJ now. Fingers crossed for sure!

Posted Mon 07 Dec 15 @ 3:19 am
Just a follow up: I have used VDJ 8.1 for several 4+ hour gigs on my replacement MacBook Pro (using the Dennyo skin), and everything has been great. Chalking this one up to a defective computer. Thanks for all of the help!

Posted Fri 18 Dec 15 @ 7:46 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)