Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.1 Technical Support

Topic: Will VDJ 8.1 work ok on 2.1ghz intel core 2 duo?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Anyone have any hands on knowledge of using VDJ 8 (or 8.1) on intel core 2 duo processors? I have a laptop with a 2.1ghz (T8100) processor, 3gb of ram and running on windows 7. I would be using it only for playing music and not video dj-ing. Thanks in advance.

Posted Tue 01 Dec 15 @ 7:03 pm
PachNPRO InfinityMember since 2009
Loading tracks would probably be a bit slower, but if you are going to use it only for audio files... I see no problem.

Posted Tue 01 Dec 15 @ 7:43 pm
Thanks for the quick reply and that's just the answer I was hoping for! My main concern was that the processor might run too hot and potentially cause the laptop to shut down. I suppose I'll only find out when I give it a try!

Posted Tue 01 Dec 15 @ 8:03 pm
I have a machine with a similar processor, runs no problem at all.

Posted Tue 01 Dec 15 @ 8:09 pm
Well I'm going to take the plunge and see how it goes!

Posted Tue 01 Dec 15 @ 8:21 pm
Watch the Skin redrawing though for heat on such a machine. You might want to drop the skin redrawing down to 15 FPS or lower to improve performance and reduce heat. I will assume you have the laptop cooled with a special fan as I think many of you do.

My old similar laptop had excessive heat problems and turned the skin redrawing down to 1 FPS :) to prevent over heating but that machine just had problems with heat and had to watch that. I wonder if they ever turned down the Skin FPS to 1 to see how that effects things. Kind of funny when the user interfaces creep out and take a long time. 10 to 15 skin FPS should be adequate though. You can also test this case by minimizing the VDJ user interface to see how it might effect CPU usage and heat.

EDIT: Was not trying to push you out from the machine but my real thinking was I don't think you would want to use a marginal machine unless you know about the nuances it may create for you.

Posted Tue 01 Dec 15 @ 8:26 pm
Yes Don Moir the skin redrawing is my main concern. If I have to drop the FPS down to 10 or 15 then I doubt I'd want to use it as it will feel sluggish and unresponsive. I don't have a laptop cooler either so I do believe the laptop would run very warm to say the least. Thanks for the input guys.

Posted Tue 01 Dec 15 @ 8:35 pm
As you've said, you will only know if you try. What are your other options? Make sure you have blown out the dust from the cooling vents.

Posted Wed 02 Dec 15 @ 6:00 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
If your laptop's cooling is functioning properly you should be fine even at the default 30 fps.

Posted Wed 02 Dec 15 @ 9:28 am
TVD UKPRO InfinityMember since 2007
I always run mine with a Lap Chill, just connect to a spare usb port and get extra fan assisted cooling, allows it to breath

Posted Wed 02 Dec 15 @ 2:28 pm
Just thought I'd post an update. I installed VDJ 8.1 on my laptop and I had no problem at all. I left the FPS at the standard setting of 30 and it was fine. The cpu usage averaged at about 40% and the core temperatures were between 40 and 45 degrees Celcius. I did notice that sometimes the fan was running at higher speed for longer periods of time so this week I intend to remove the cpu heat sink, blow out any dust and re-apply new thermal paste. I also want to invest in a laptop cooler and see if I notice any difference.

Posted Mon 07 Dec 15 @ 5:00 pm
blckjckPRO InfinityMember since 2008
I run a duo core 2.3ghz with 8gb ram, Windows 10 64bit, and VDJ 8.1
It's an Intel chipset with the onboard Intel HD graphics.
I use timecode through an Audio 6 interface, Milkdrop, TellyMedia, TellyVisuals, Freestyer DMX with it's plugin, and iCloud is still running to update a photo album slideshow at events. I output video from either my VGA or HDMI ports at 1080p. I mix 780p videos also. With all of this running I can still add songs to the library, download from Content Unlimited, update FB or Twitter, and even use Google to find "That song that goes bump, bump, bump, with the words "I can"".

I have taken the time to pull out some of the more processor intensive Milkdrop shows. I use the VDJ8 by Fruit skin with a refresh of 30FPS. I do not use a laptop cooler, I just clean my laptop inside every year.
Hope this helps.

Posted Wed 09 Dec 15 @ 9:46 pm
Thanks for your input blckjck, that information helps a lot. I've been using VDJ 7.4 on my laptop for all my dj bookings for quite a few years. I installed VDJ 8 on my desktop computer as soon as it was released and I've been using it at home ever since to familiarise myself with it. However I was a little apprehensive about installing it on my laptop as I thought the processor might struggle, and the thought of it crashing during a live dj-ing session always put me off. 7.4 has proven to be incredibly reliable over the years so I was reluctant to install its successor. However I am glad that I finally have, and so far so good. It's nowhere near as processor intensive as I thought it would be and because I've been using it at home since its release the changeover has been a smooth one.

Posted Thu 10 Dec 15 @ 2:55 pm

Posted Fri 11 Dec 15 @ 12:15 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)