Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Topic: Default Mix Points not always correct

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Good morning,
I know that Virtual DJ can't always be perfect when loading new songs to the deck but it does error when loading 1 out of every 20 or so new songs on exit points. This is most crucial since if I load a batch of songs and leave the deck on AutoMix.

Problem 1) 1 of 20 songs are cut too short because the mixnow point is sometimes set too away from the real end of a song. The old version I can drag the automix point right from the main screen. Now I have to right click on the song playing to open the POI editor and figure out which point to drag over. The old version it was too easy to miss clicking that point to slide and sometimes clicking on that point on the main deck made the song jump to that point so I love the idea of right clicking on the deck and opening the POI to change the mix_now automix point. (But should be 1 step)

Problem 2) It saves EVERY change I make to a song in the POI permanently. No "Reset to original button" or no "Save for this mix only option" which means if I make a mistake on a mix and next week I play the same song, it can mix at a bad point because it automatically saved that mix point permanently on that song and every future time I play that song it will use the same point(s) I created which might not what I wanted when I made the POI change(s).

Problem 3) Most important no quick and easy access to a permananent SINGLE automix mix_now action button in the POI to immediately drag the mix_now point over. As it stands I have to create an action from the right menu. Does every DJ that use this fiddle creating with a couple mix points during a live gig? How long does it take them? A couple seconds to make a quick change to the exit point of a song or 20 seconds a quarter of a song which is way too long when you're busy doing a few things at once at a live gig.

Problem 4) There should also be a TRASH can for clearing all EXIT points as well as the above mentioned automix_now icon.

Thanks for all the work!

Posted Mon 30 Mar 15 @ 6:22 am
Hi nassausky, you made some nice points there, sounds like we use a similar method in AM, so here's what I picked up so far;
1. when you say mixnow do you mean the cut mix poi that gets used in smart mode, cos I can't seem to find a mixnow AM poi.
2. yup I agree there, check here; http://de.virtualdj.com/forums/199590/Wishes_and_new_features/AM_Editor__playlist_specific_instead_of_global_please_.html
3. if you are in smart mode it uses the fade, cut, and tempo poi', if in remove intro/outro it uses the fade poi', try lettin some tracks play, open up the poi editor for the track currently playing( it's easier with some pretty long tracks), then move the poi around until you see the white area on the waveform movin with it, hey presto after some time you' get the corrolation between the poi names and the AM modes.
4. Where is this AM_now icon?

check this one out as well if you want;
http://de.virtualdj.com/forums/194320/Wishes_and_new_features/Can_we_have_a_dedicated_thread_for_automix_please_.html?search=dedicated&page=1

And yes I agree that the placement of poi' could be better, but were dj's and have do somethings ourselves ... lol

regards
ray

Posted Mon 30 Mar 15 @ 8:02 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
3. Unless I misunderstood, just double-click on the next track to instantly mix to that track.

Posted Mon 30 Mar 15 @ 2:27 pm
Sorry I have been busy I will read this later and give a better reply but Problem #3 isn't that I can't setup a hotkey or mix something when I walk up to the laptop but I wanted to make sure the automix is setup properly with correct mixing points before I step away from the laptop/booth and am busy with audience participation. This way as I am busy helping the audience, songs A,B,C,D,E will play til nearly the end of the song and mix into the next song without me standing there and having to initiate it.

I haven't been on the forums enough to know what the AM editor is and was just referring to the POI editor which pops up when I right click on a deck waveform. If that popup POI editor dialog also has an extra icon on the toolbar with it's action event set to start the automix at a point we drag on the editor, it will be much quicker. (it probably also needs to clear out existing exit points first so it doesn't have too many exit points if that's possible) I will read this later when I get back and see if I can correct my terminology.

Thanks again for looking at it and responding.

Posted Wed 01 Apr 15 @ 7:43 am
OK so I got some time to look over this again. So AM must mean automix. If you want to skip this whole recap you can go to the end.

Re 1) Yes in Smart Mode when I open the automix window pain and slide a few songs to automix. Right click the songs waveform that is playing to open the POI. I would like a button that sets a point in the song that works exactly like you pressing ALT-SPACE which is the automix now hotkey. I didn't try the other 3 modes and it can fix some of my issues at times but Virtual DJ just adds an icon button to the POI which creates a MIXNOW point in the song so I can do that quickly as I'm looking for more songs to play or if I get up and busy with the audience.

Re 2) Thanks yes even if it's setup for the current playlist rather than permanently change the mix points of a song. It's very very scary for me to play with it (or test the POI for now) until they make it not permanent. I would like to try a few songs out but then I would have to go back and erase all the mix points I played with. Basically as I play and test the POI (and others probably do the same), I set some mix points early into the song just to test out how a mix goes. Yes I can set the test mixpoints later in the song but then it would be an extra step now to have the song jump to that point by left clicking on the waveform as it's playing to jump to the point I set to mix. I just want to know that exiting out of Virtual DJ resets my mixpoints to default or a radio group choice to make permanent the points I'm sure I like. Well not truely permanent but editable in the future if I desire to change it down the line, with another radio group option to make it temporary for the playlist or a one-time option to just play it as I set it up to mix in the POI.

Re 3) Yep I will play with the modes again and I didn't notice that the points change in the different modes. It's still a good idea to add 3 icons for (1) scrap points (2) reset to default depending on smartmode/introoutro mode/fade remove silence etc. and (3) automix NOW which I can set the smart type automix point on the timeline.

Re 4) Yeah I wish there was one. Right now it's a longer process inside POI, from the TYPE dropdown i choose Action and then type in "mix_now" into the action field which gives me a handle to drag in the POI waveform.

LOL @ having to do things ourselves. Between cushioning the restless kids crashing into your equipment, diverting the drunks spilling their drinks over your precious equipment, I even had to deal with restaurant workers who swapped a couple hoola hoops to bring back in the kitchen and play on a day I had a low quantity whom I asked to have them back for a little and threatened to never have me in the place again after than and playing 2 minutes over the time allotted.

To be a DJ or not to be a DJ that is the real question haha

Summary: I would like a simple mode POI. Just shows the start and end point of the song without all these cut and extra points to play with. One handle to adjust where the song fades in and one handle for where it starts fading out. :)

Posted Wed 01 Apr 15 @ 8:01 pm
ok, I can get my head around most of that, here's a couple of suggestions;
1. ask the Mods to move the post, 'cos I don't really think that these are bugs and we could continue it better elswhere, or PM me.
2. try using remove intro/outro mode 'cos then you only have to move Mix "Fade" start and exit poi', and you can jump straight too them in the Poi editor. This also has the advantage of being able to control the length of the Fade whereas Mix_Now is an action that will also happen when AM is not being used and is hardcoded to 3 seconds.
3.If you really wanna go down the Action line maybe you could ask one of the guys to write a script for you that would set the Action Mix _Now poi and then delete it after use, or move it to the end of the track so it's out of harms way.
4. when was the last time you analyzed your tracks? what build number?
hope it helps, and yes I do much the same sort of work as you.

Posted Thu 02 Apr 15 @ 7:55 am
gbedardPRO InfinityMember since 2009
I made one of the custom buttons into a Mix Now button.

Posted Sat 04 Apr 15 @ 2:43 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)