Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Topic: Redirect VirtualDJ Folder?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

sonicgtPRO InfinityMember since 2013
So I have a onedrive account and the local folder is say c:\users\me\onedrive\

I redirected my standard my documents folder from c:\users\me\documents to c:\users\me\onedrive\documents and it moved all my folders and files including the virtual dj folder.
Since windows is redirecting the folder I figured vdj would just be aware of the change but then I opened vdj and it recreated c:\users\me\documents\virtualdj just as if I had just installed it.
Is there any way to make vdj look at the documents folder that windows has as its normal my docs? vs what appears to be a hard coded path?
I copied all the files back over to the old folder manually so I had my stuff, but I want to make sure that I am backing these files up and thus the reason for my onedrive account.

Posted Sat 28 Mar 15 @ 3:57 pm
PachNPRO InfinityMember since 2009
Have a look at your registry with the path
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\VirtualDJ

There is a key named "homeFolder". Just change it to your onedrive path.

Posted Sun 29 Mar 15 @ 6:46 am
sonicgtPRO InfinityMember since 2013
Thanks that worked. Had to change a few values in the registry. The MP3EncoderPlugin was another I saw that I'm sure could affect playing mp3 files.
Feature request would be for it to not hard code it into the registry but to use the windows variables of wherever my documents is :)

Posted Sun 29 Mar 15 @ 1:37 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\VirtualDJ\HomeFolder is the only one used by vdj 8. If you delete it, or if it is not available, vdj will use the documents folder as set by windows.

Posted Sun 29 Mar 15 @ 11:29 pm
Adion wrote :
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\VirtualDJ\HomeFolder is the only one used by vdj 8. If you delete it, or if it is not available, vdj will use the documents folder as set by windows.

I keep all my music on an external drive and have also been copying the 'My Documents/VirtualDj' folder from my Desktop computer to the external drive and replacing the 'My Documents/VirtualDj' folder on my laptop to go back and forth from my desktop to my laptop. Are there any potential consequences of changing the Registry entry to my external drive on both computers and having VirtualDj use that on both computers so I don't have to copy back and forth? Hope that makes sense it was hard to explain :)

Posted Thu 02 Apr 15 @ 1:32 pm
@gpministry. I have my vdj folder on my exernal drive as you have described, you have to make sure that your external HD always gets the right drive letter though. I have mine always set as drive 'M', and make sure your drive is connected before running vdj..

works well for me.

I plan playlists and setup sample banks on my home pc. then everything is there on my gig pc without having to copy the folder backwards and forwards lol

hope this helps you.

pete

Posted Fri 03 Apr 15 @ 5:53 am
MallMuzik wrote :
@gpministry. I have my vdj folder on my exernal drive as you have described, you have to make sure that your external HD always gets the right drive letter though. I have mine always set as drive 'M', and make sure your drive is connected before running vdj..

works well for me.

I plan playlists and setup sample banks on my home pc. then everything is there on my gig pc without having to copy the folder backwards and forwards lol

hope this helps you.

pete

Yes very helpful and encouraging. I don't like surprises, now I feel more confident things will be there when I get there. Thank you very much!

Posted Fri 03 Apr 15 @ 5:46 pm
one thing to keep in mind is your 'license.dat' file will not always be valid, and vdj will want you to sign in. so keep a backup of your license files, just in case your at a venue with no internet connection.

Posted Sat 04 Apr 15 @ 5:31 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)