Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Topic: Issues while using automix and visualizations

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

blckjckPRO InfinityMember since 2008
I've been trying to narrow down crashing with build 2162.945. I have not had issues like this in the past. However, I do use this laptop for other things. There is the possibility I have introduced a problem in the last few months without being aware. I do know that Jan 1st I ran the same plugins and equipment with no issues. I am using the Toshiba C855 listed in my profile with a NI Audio 6 and timecode. At the time of failure, timecode is calibrated, but not enable as I am running an automix playlist. I created a support ticket and the response was to open a thread.

After roughly 2 hours of playing, the system crashes. I am using Milkdrop, TellyMedia, and TellyVisuals plugins. I have purchased and introduced IMU the past few days. I was testing with the demo IMU and iWall in the past without issue. The playlist has a mix of video and audio. In the past I had videoForceFullscreen set to 1 because my video card seemed to perfome better, however, if video output was stopped, a restart of VDJ would be required to reenable it. I have now changed videoForceFullscreen to 0, I can disable and enable video at will. I experience more tearing, but it is usable. My main issue is that VDJ completely crashes. I do see a dump file in the user temp folder along with crashlog.exe. The dmp file is 0kb, I assume there is a debug level to set for more info.

Last night I had something new since I set fullscreen to 0.

While typing this, TellyMedia dropped off the display after running for about 1.5 hours. I recieved the same VDJ Streaming alert. It is possible I have narrowed in on the issue. Would the plugin crashing in videoforcedfull 1 bring down the whole program vs having just it crash and the alert?

Posted Fri 27 Feb 15 @ 9:15 am
PachNPRO InfinityMember since 2009
Is it possible that your Toshiba has an AMD video Card?
If so, there was a problem with video memory in V7.
Possible that is the same kind of problem in v8 too.

You can try to use this tool to fix it (but I don't know if it will work with V8 or affect v8).

http://www.virtualdj.com/addons/15871/Fix_Ati_Amd_graphics.html

Posted Fri 27 Feb 15 @ 9:55 am
No sir, it is an Intel HD chipset. I have been using this laptop with both VDJ7 and VDJ8 without any major issues like this.

TM (TellyMedia) was still showing as active after I typed the initial post even though it had crashed (VDJ stayed open and playing along with Milkdrop and TV (TellyVisuals)). I deactivated it and then reactivated it. It started up fine. It then ran for another hour or so and crashed again (VDJ, TV, and Milkdrop still running). I deactivated it and am now running just Milkdrop and TV. If that does okay I will try just TM.
TM is doing a carousel of JPG's, and the camera plugin is displaying my laptop's webcam. Nothing has changed in the picture folder for almost a year.

Posted Fri 27 Feb 15 @ 12:16 pm
Okay, so I got the streaming error again without TM active.
I have fully restarted the laptop. I did not start up IMU. I have VDJ running a mixed playlist in automix. Milkdrop is on as videoAudioOnlyVisualization
I will let that run and see how it does.

Posted Fri 27 Feb 15 @ 12:48 pm
PachNPRO InfinityMember since 2009
There is a fix tool for Intel too. Just search in v7 plugin other section.
And could you provide a screenshot of your task manager showing vdj memory usage when this occurs?
I guess it's near the maximum of RAM your pc is capable of.

Posted Fri 27 Feb 15 @ 1:29 pm
I ran the tool in the past. I will download it again and run it. I have 8 gig of RAM installed. I know it's a shared memory setup. I believe the gfx chipset has 64mb dedicated. I will pull up task manager when I get back home.

It does seem like some sort of memory leak. I have specified 2 gig of video ram. I'll have to find the utility that was showing me that the system was showing a difference when I changed that value.

Posted Fri 27 Feb 15 @ 1:55 pm
This time VDJ froze playing an MP3 2 hours into the list. I am using different lists and these issues are happing with different songs that have played in the past. I do not believe this to be a file issue.

I could not close VDJ even with the task manager and taskkill at a prompt. My PC would not shut down fully. I had to force power off.
I was able to use other aspects of the computer before that time. I did get a screen shot of the memory usage at the time, but not right when it locked up.

I now have a playlist running with no video turned on. Milkdrop was removed from the audio only selection (selection was set to none). Then I restarted VDJ, put in a new list, and I am running it with video disabled. I'll start at this step and progress from there.

EDIT: VDJ is running at 460,472kb with no video or plugins running.

Posted Fri 27 Feb 15 @ 6:57 pm
After six hours of no issue, I enabled video. No extra plugins, just video.
After another 6 hours I have enabled TV. We will see how it goes.

Posted Sat 28 Feb 15 @ 10:29 am
Passed that test. I've now enabled TM with the web cam and a picture show. TM, TV, Automix playlist with video and audio. I have left milkdrop and IMU off still.

Posted Sat 28 Feb 15 @ 4:27 pm
An hour and a half in and TM crashed. Resource monitor showed the memory used by VDJ climbing over 3 gig and my available memory going down. I failed to save the screen shot of the resource monitor before shutting VDJ down and rebooting.
I re-ran the Intel fix tool as mentioned above. I will try running with just Milkdrop and see what happens.

EDIT: When a video is playing, VDJ uses around 1.5Gig. It drops after a transition and then climbs to there again, as I would expect. I have 2 Gig allocated for video memory in the options.

Posted Sat 28 Feb 15 @ 5:56 pm
Milkdrop ran without issue for 3.5 hrs. I stopped milkdrop and the automix. I then started just TM. The memory started creeping up and I was showing 20 hard faults per second. I stopped TM and the hardfaults also stopped. The memory used by VDJ has not released though.
Next I will try a fresh boot. I will have TM only running with no camera or photo slide show.

Posted Sat 28 Feb 15 @ 10:09 pm
With just TM running and no options turned on, memory usage was stable. With just the webcam, the memory usage went up a little and then stabilized. With just the carousel running, hard faults and memory creeping up.
I copied the pictures folder out from where is was on the system drive to a different partition on the same physical drive. The page faults stopped but the memory creep continued. It creeps up with every picture loaded. The pictures average 7mb in size with a rotation of 8 seconds. Roughly an hour and a half run time would use up about 4g of ram if it just kept adding with each picture load.

I have done a full restart, mixed video/audio Automix playlist, Milkdrop, TV, and TM running only the web cam. Memory usage sits at 500-600k depending on which milkdrop effect is running. It climbs up to almost 2gb when a video is play, a video is next, and the above plugins are running. When audio is up next or playing again, memory usage goes back down.

I will let this run all night. I believe I have narrowed down the problem to TM not releasing the memory between pictures on the carousel. We shall see how the night goes.

Posted Sat 28 Feb 15 @ 11:02 pm
This ran for 10hrs and was still running when I awoke.
I have set videoforcefullsxreen to 1 to stop my video tearing. I have started IMU.
I will now let everything run except for the carousel of pictures.

Posted Sun 01 Mar 15 @ 9:15 am
8 hours without issue so far.
I'm pretty sure the carousel part of the TellyMedia plugin is not releasing the memory when loading and unloading the jpg still images I am using.

Posted Sun 01 Mar 15 @ 4:55 pm
Max, large jpeg images are scaled down to be a better fit for the GPU. When this occured the images were being freed but something called a context was not being freed correctly down in some library code.

Before I update I have sent you a test case.

Posted Sun 01 Mar 15 @ 9:45 pm
Thank you for your quick response Don.
I am testing it now.

Posted Sun 01 Mar 15 @ 10:26 pm
It looks like that was it. The memory has been going up and down as I would expect. I will run it over night and report back.

Posted Sun 01 Mar 15 @ 10:42 pm
It has now run for 11 hours without issue with all of the plugins and features running that I was initially having issue with. Thank you.

Posted Mon 02 Mar 15 @ 9:58 am
All versions of TellyMedia have been updated to version 1.48. This includes the plus versions and addon versions for VDJ 7 and 8.

Posted Mon 02 Mar 15 @ 11:55 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)