Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Topic: This **** drives me INSANE >:O :: database/rating doesnt work :: whats up devs???

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

So we were promised a NON database but ID3 tag rating system.. Well that didnt happen. Its buggy, unreliable and flawed and above all: the star rating system is STILL database related for some files. (regardless of writing / tag reloading etc.)

so here's what happens: multiple laptops. my main DJ laptop is where I do my star ratings etc. (write em all in ID3 tags)

when I copy the files to another laptop and open the folder and select batch reload tags: half of my star ratings simply aren't there.

so SOME get written in the ID3 tag and SOME simply get written in the database. (like V7 etc)

proof that it gets written in the database: even on my main DJ laptop where I do my star ratings (write to ID3 tag), after I delete the local folder database XML, I lose half of my star ratings. And when I put the local database XML back -- the ratings come back.
All of this regardless of reloading tags etc.

Please fix this asap has been reported months ago by myself and several others. This is not a minor thing. Or else remove ID3 tag writing from your feature list. Like this its unusable.

post from october I found somewhat related
www.virtualdj.com/forums/194821/VirtualDJ_8_bug-report_Forum/getRatingFromTags_Doesn_t_Work.html

thanks

Posted Sun 25 Jan 15 @ 1:06 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
And the files you are trying to write the rating to are mp3 files?

Posted Sun 25 Jan 15 @ 1:16 pm
like duh :-) all mp3. checked before posting

Posted Sun 25 Jan 15 @ 1:18 pm
Timm, what software do you use to add the star rating?

Also do the ratings import correctly if you write them before importing them to VDJ? In other words, is it only reloading that causes it?

What about adding the ratings from with VDJ? Do those files then import to another computer OK?

Personally, I don't see why you're rating them using some other software, after you've already added them to VDJ, which requires you to reload stuff.

I'd either use VDJ to do it, or rate them before adding to VDJ. :-)

Posted Sun 25 Jan 15 @ 1:28 pm
Is it possible to send me one of the files for which writing the tag from within vdj does not work?

Posted Sun 25 Jan 15 @ 9:54 pm
@ groovindj: hey man. I did ALL my ratings from within VDJ reload tags is just to see if there are any ratings present before I do my rating or afterwards to check. AND when I copy to another laptop, I wanted to check if it read the ratings so of course I had to batch reload tags. Well this doesnt work, only if you copy database.xml (which is v7 behaviour - database dependant and not file dependant)

Posted Mon 26 Jan 15 @ 6:45 am
Adion wrote :
Is it possible to send me one of the files for which writing the tag from within vdj does not work?

hey adion sure, but how do I send it. email? or where to host it?

please take a look at the following killer suggestions too: ( I will post as a feature request later but since you are CTO I thought I'd take a chance)::

** POI editor should edit multiple files if you select several instances of the same file (if they're the same file but on different locations) (((a bit like TAG editor))))
i.e.: I store my files in many folders. a track can be [peak hour folder] and in [wedding stuff] etc etc. Now if I find that the beatgrid is not correct. I want to type the name in the search field, select all instances of the same file, open POI editor (for all of them at once) edit, store and voila::: the beatgrid is updated in all files! Of course this will only apply to THE exact same file (but stored in various folders) Now I would have to edit POI and re copy (from within vdj etc to all my folders which is a hassle) or edit 5 times which is even more hassle

** wave touch quantize::: this would even be better than the Remix Mode! ::: please add an option if you touch the wave (not the Top moving waves but the smaller representing the track) that it will be in sync (as it is now) but quantized to 4 beats, 8 beats, 16 beats, 32 and 64 beats. So the phase stays correct! Now when you touch it ( i.e. mouse or touchscreen) it will be in sync, but usually the beatphase will not be correct.. If you add this option. It would be better than remix mode because A. no editing remix points and B. easy visual representation, ( quantized to 32 / 64beats, touch and Boom! perfect easy remix mode for on the fly use!

please take a look at this, Im a pro DJ playing every weekend and really need this. have no time to edit remix points, need something a bit more on the fly. Besides: remix mode takes up space from my sampler, which I heavily use for loops etc.

Posted Mon 26 Jan 15 @ 6:59 am
Timm United wrote :
edit 5 times which is even more hassle

....but why are you storing five copies of the same file? You could just have the one file and use virtual folders / filter folders / playlists to link to it from different places (wedding, peak hour etc). Then you only have one file to edit.

Posted Mon 26 Jan 15 @ 7:19 am
@groovindj virtual folder system isnt perfect - in the past I had files being added to it randomly : screwed up. Then I decided to never use it again and use Solid real folders to organize. And what about when you ever think about moving to another platform? Even temporarily, you want to play on someone else's system with your harddrive. Im loyal to VDJ but still.

believe me valid reasons to work with real folders.

Posted Tue 27 Jan 15 @ 3:19 am
Timm United wrote :
I had files being added to it randomly

Are you sure that wasn't filter folders (which are supposed to do that)? I've never had tracks appearing in Virtual folders of their own accord.

Timm United wrote :
what about when you ever think about moving to another platform?

Playlists (M3U) are universal. iTunes import is universal.

Seriously, I can't think of one valid reason why anyone would need to have multiple duplicates of tracks on their drive. That's one advantage of digital - unlike CD or vinyl, you don't need duplicate copies.

I've been using digital files since the MP2 days. I have multiple drives, but only one copy of each track. Never had a problem finding tracks.

I used my hard drive on an alien system (Serato DJ) over 3 days at the BPM show last year, without a hitch. Other DJs at the show used it too - no duplicates, no problems.

Posted Tue 27 Jan 15 @ 4:03 am
groovindj wrote :
Timm United wrote :
I had files being added to it randomly

Are you sure that wasn't filter folders (which are supposed to do that)? I've never had tracks appearing in Virtual folders of their own accord.

Timm United wrote :
what about when you ever think about moving to another platform?

Playlists (M3U) are universal. iTunes import is universal.

Seriously, I can't think of one valid reason why anyone would need to have multiple duplicates of tracks on their drive. That's one advantage of digital - unlike CD or vinyl, you don't need duplicate copies.

I've been using digital files since the MP2 days. I have multiple drives, but only one copy of each track. Never had a problem finding tracks.

I used my hard drive on an alien system (Serato DJ) over 3 days at the BPM show last year, without a hitch. Other DJs at the show used it too - no duplicates, no problems.

hmmz... need to meditate and smoke indian pipe now while staring in the fire and touching my beard...

no seriously Ill give it some thought... p.s. groovin: where are these virtual folders stored, so I can edit their file attribute to read-only after im done with them? Im really frantic about my folders changing

thanks anyway for replying. Much appreciated

Posted Tue 27 Jan 15 @ 7:08 am
ok found it local drive: folders folder and it works (below) hehe. interesting...

"so I can edit their file attribute to read-only after im done with them? Im really frantic about my folders changing"

Posted Tue 27 Jan 15 @ 7:12 am
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
Yep you can make it read only, virtual folders are actually just xml files in disguise.

You'll find these .vdjfolder files in the folders folder in mydocs\VDJ, also on the root of any other drive in the VDJ folder

Posted Tue 27 Jan 15 @ 7:20 am
cool but why are there 2 places where the virtual folder is saved? at\documents\virtualdj\folders and one in local drive\virtualdj\folders which one do I make read-only in order to keep them from accidentally changing?

Posted Tue 27 Jan 15 @ 7:23 am
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
VDJ keeps this info at these two locations to cater for removable drives. Justlike you have a C database and a database for any other drive.

Posted Tue 27 Jan 15 @ 10:27 am
PachNPRO InfinityMember since 2009
Timm United wrote :
cool but why are there 2 places where the virtual folder is saved? at\documents\virtualdj\folders and one in local drive\virtualdj\folders which one do I make read-only in order to keep them from accidentally changing?

Both.
As Loco said, it's for removable devices. Each virtual folder file just holds files which are on the same drive as folder file itself.
Just imagine you created a folder that holds tracks of 2 or more drives. If you ever are just playing wiht 1 drive, the vFolder would give you all tracks, but a huge amount would end in "error" because its source could not be found.

The way it is now, it only shows you the tracks, that are really available.

Posted Tue 27 Jan 15 @ 1:20 pm
Timm United wrote :
Adion wrote :

hey adion sure, but how do I send it. email? or where to host it?

I sent you a private message with my email. Thanks

Posted Wed 28 Jan 15 @ 1:20 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)