Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Topic: Native Mapping difference btwn vdj7 and 8

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

When using my American Audio VMS2 with vdj8 I noticed that the vu meter on the software does not respond when adjusting the gain dial, the meters are usually pegged at 100%. This is different from the function of vdj7 where when turning the gain down, the levels are reduced. I noticed a difference in the factory mapping where in vdj8 ONINIT is set to fake_mixer on & fake_hp on & fake_gain on & fake_master on & fake_eq on. In vdj 7 it appears that the GAIN key actually controls the software gain, where the other functions reflect the fake setting. I removed the 'fake_gain on &' command from ONINIT in vdj8 and now the vu meter levels are reduced/increased with gain knob.

So the purpose for this post is to figure out if I corrected this setting properly or if I'm misunderstanding the purpose of the vu meter display and function, I'd appreciate some feedback from whoever is familiar with this. Thanks guys!!

Posted Thu 15 Jan 15 @ 2:16 pm
PachNPRO InfinityMember since 2009
You should not use the Gain knob of the controller to control the software gain.
Better use the fake_gain command.

Reason is: The VMS has an analog mixer. Meaning, every EQ and Gain and VOL operation is handled internal by the device on the hardware.
If you map the Gain to controll software gain aswell, you might end up doubling the gain and get distortions very soon.

Posted Fri 16 Jan 15 @ 1:56 am
RobRoyPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2012
@soprimedj
Software´s VU Meters are not directly related to the "real" gain Level as long as VMS is used in Pre-EQ Mode. In this mode Soundoutput is done by the hardwaremixer of the VMS.

Posted Fri 16 Jan 15 @ 4:09 am
Awesome, thanks for your help guys, just wanted to make sure i wasn't sending a hot signal right off the bat!

Posted Tue 20 Jan 15 @ 9:09 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)