Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Topic: Volume Sliders for decks float

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

ElteckPRO InfinityMember since 2009
When playing a song, the sliders for the volume on the decks float up and down increasing and decreasing the volume, any ideas why?

Posted Fri 09 Jan 15 @ 1:58 pm
No need to post the same question twice.

Are you saying that the on-screen channel faders are moving up and down on their own? Are you using a controller?

Posted Fri 09 Jan 15 @ 2:39 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
Sounds like a HW soldering issue, likely a open circuit to earth on the sliders.

Posted Fri 09 Jan 15 @ 3:04 pm
I am using a American Audio VMS 4. and yes the the volume controls on screen move up and down on their own. I have to keep touching the slider to make it stop

Posted Fri 09 Jan 15 @ 6:44 pm
Almost certainly your VMS4 is unwell.

Posted Fri 09 Jan 15 @ 6:56 pm
Elteck wrote :
I have to keep touching the slider to make it stop

You have a bad earth/ground connection to your sliders, you need to solder.

Floating is a good choice of words by you as it is the same term used in electronics (not tied to earth/ground), due to the inconsistent output you get.

Posted Sat 10 Jan 15 @ 6:01 am
Thanks Locldog, so I guess I have to do Surgery. lol Or can It be grounded from the 2 phono grounds on the back of the unit?

Posted Sat 10 Jan 15 @ 12:04 pm
Is it all four channel faders that are doing this?

Posted Sat 10 Jan 15 @ 12:19 pm
No just 2. I took it apart, looks like all the solder connections are good, I put a little alcohol in the sliders moved them up and down then blew it out with air, putting it back together now , Thanks

Posted Sat 10 Jan 15 @ 12:45 pm
Google shows me that replacements are $8 each and plug in, so it would be simple to replace those two (or even swap them for the other two).

Posted Sat 10 Jan 15 @ 12:52 pm
Elteck wrote :
Thanks Locldog, so I guess I have to do Surgery. lol Or can It be grounded from the 2 phono grounds on the back of the unit?

Ground is more often then not common all round, the problem with the simple way of adding a wire is ground loop interference, with is not good.
I can't say what to do for certain, but if it was on my workbench the first thing I would do is, open up, get the multimeter out and poke and probe to see what type of pressure solves the problem.
Is it a dry join on the slider to the board (is it only 1 slider)
Is it a dry join for a common board to board jumper (several sliders)
Is it a cracked PCB ?

Respect to you for DIY

Posted Sat 10 Jan 15 @ 12:54 pm
Thanks for the help, its seems the alcohol worked, the sliders were dirty, i blew them out good with canned air, and the floating stopped.

Thanks

Posted Sat 10 Jan 15 @ 1:07 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)