Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Topic: Can' edit history playlists

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

i don't know if it's a case of "it's not a bug, it's a feature" but today I sat down to do a bit of tidying up in my history playlists. Deleting the ones that were created at home, renaming ones from some of better gigs for easy access, etc. While browsing I've noticed that few of the files were missing (I've done a little files moving so no big surprise). I usually use a tool called listFix() (awesome soft btw.) but I figured that I would try to do it from VDJ using relocate missing file. I relocated the files no problem but when I started browsing different history playlist and went back to edited one, the changes were gone. Relocated files were missing.

So which one is it? Bug or feature?

P.S. I also noticed that i can't delete entries form history playlist. Are they completely read-only?

Posted Sat 03 Jan 15 @ 7:51 am
the files aren't read only but it appears that VDJ8 doesn't allow editing of them tried myself and a no go
kinda odd i think and something that needs looking into

Posted Sat 03 Jan 15 @ 8:26 am
Well I understand the thought behind not being able to edit history files (as they are "history") but relocating missing files should work so I designate not being able to fix entries a bug.

Btw. I advice against editing the playlist files outside VDJ as they have additional infos written to them and external software will screw them up. Speaking from experience I just broke one of history playlist files and have about 10 tracks without playtime. Not so big problem but watch out.

Posted Sat 03 Jan 15 @ 8:43 am
From here -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M3U

"If an m3u file is edited with a text editor, it must be saved in the Windows-1252 format, which is a superset of ASCII."

Posted Sat 03 Jan 15 @ 8:58 am
Thanks but it's not the coding. history m3u files have additional line of XML code between the track locations lines that contain addition info such as "playTime". listFix() scrambled those (no reason it should know what those lines were). It's understandable, clearly a user (my) error and I had backup so let's not dwell.

Important thing is that you can't fix your history playlists when you move the files or change their names from Virtual DJ because even thou option "relocate missing file" is accessible it doesn't work as VDJ doesn't save the changes you made.

Posted Sat 03 Jan 15 @ 9:10 am
blckjckPRO InfinityMember since 2008
After relocating the files, can you save it as a new playlist?

Posted Sat 03 Jan 15 @ 9:15 am
i edited a bunch of mine in notepad++ and all was ok.

work around
if you want to use the history playlist load it to side list and from there you can relocate missing files or whatever

Info:
the lines that start with #EXTVDJ are just comments i believe used by VDJ don't remove them or edit them
the file path line can be edited without issue

Posted Sat 03 Jan 15 @ 9:22 am
Ditto. Just tried messing around with some here*, and VDJ 8 can still see/read them.

*Notepad++

Posted Sat 03 Jan 15 @ 9:39 am
PachNPRO InfinityMember since 2009
AFAIK, relocate missing files just fixes the path in the database.xml, not in your history files.

But you can try my tool to fix your playlists/ history files.
Just select the Tab "Relocate Playlist / Tracklist" (Tracklist is the same as history file, that's what it was called in v7),
select the file you want to edit, and choose a drive/ folder so search for the missing files.

http://www.virtualdj.com/addons/12859/ReFile_-_Relocate_your_lost_music_files.html

Posted Mon 05 Jan 15 @ 8:35 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
Relocate on playlists was automatically updating the playlist as well, but this was indeed not working on history folders.
This will be fixed next update.

Posted Mon 05 Jan 15 @ 8:41 am
PachNPRO InfinityMember since 2009
So that was a bug? I thought that was by desing. LOL.

What happens if you're moving files/ folders within the VDJ browser?
Will playlists and history files be updated too?

Posted Mon 05 Jan 15 @ 9:21 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
You will still not be able to modify history files, but if you modify playlists in the browser the changes are indeed stored as well.

Posted Mon 05 Jan 15 @ 9:51 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)