Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Topic: Version 7.0.3 sounds better than v8 (music videos on a hercules dj mk4 asio drivers)

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I've been experiencing really bad sound quality ever since upgrading to version8. Also the version 7.4 on this website gives me the same bad audio.

Just out of curiosity I downloaded an old version of virtual dj (version 7.0.3 pro) and it sounds marvellous with full bass response. Whereas when I use the "paid for" versions of 7.4 and 8 I get tinny nasty sound out of my hercules asio mk4. So... I went and purchased another midi controller (Hercules DJ Control instinct) and it sounded just as bad in the "paid for" versions. I suppose, what I am asking here is... has anyone else out there tried regressing that far back to see if the audio engine is superior in the old 7.0.3 version? I only ever load music videos (mp4 and avi) and the majority of my library is "paid for" music videos from both extendamix and promo-only so they should be good quality sound and video.

I am really angry that my clients have had to endure this extraordinarily bad audio for the last few months, although to be fair they have not picked up on the audio weirdness as much as I have!!! perhaps they are used to listening to horrible quality audio where the treble is too shrill and the midrange and bass are almost non existent.!!!

Posted Fri 02 Jan 15 @ 10:45 am
PachNPRO InfinityMember since 2009
Possible that the limiter is uhm... limiting all the time?

If that's the case (small red dot flashing on the top right side of the default VDJ 8 skin) try to adjust your gain and/ or set zeroDB setting to a value like 0.75

Posted Fri 02 Jan 15 @ 10:52 am
Not the limiter! - I had already looked into that possibility - by hovering the mouse over the tiny red dot it tells me how much percentage is being limited and I ensure that no limiting ever occurs whilst experiencing this nasty audio issue. Strangely the audio output to the earphones on channels 3-4 appear to sound OK on the headphones but the output on channels 1-2 can be shockingly bad. Annoyingly, sometimes it sounds OK (usually around the time we are doing sound checks before a gig) and sounds horrible throughout the gig!!!. Like I say, both the paid for versions available to download on this site appear to suffer the same issue. I have tried connecting the speakers directly to the phono outputs on the hercules (bypassing the mixer and the BBE sonic maximiser) but the bad sound appears to emanate from the software. I have proven this by regressing to an unsupported version of virtual DJ and the magic sound that impressed me is once more alive again!!!

Posted Fri 02 Jan 15 @ 11:24 am
Could just be the audio on your videos as well.

You can't always trust the pools an sometimes I'll go back and just replace the audio all together........not saying it couldn't be VDJ but on my system 8 blows any old version away.

Posted Fri 02 Jan 15 @ 11:32 am
I use the mk4 with Vdj8 and it sounds ok. I also used it with every version of 7 that was released. I think 8 sounds better. Have you upgraded the firmware on the mk4 to the latest version? Is it plugged into a USB 3 port?

J

Posted Fri 02 Jan 15 @ 12:27 pm
just uninstalled all versions of virtual dj, and uninstalled the hercules drivers - in the process somehow I lost some of my USb ports! so I had to uninstall and find them again using device manager, then installed the hercules driver (didn't need to update any firmware as already up to date) then reinstall virtual dj8 and it seems to be OK now!!! very strange!!!!!! I think i'll keep a copy of the unsupported 7.0.3 just in case of any glitches further on down the line! a pain having to faff around with two databases though!.

Posted Fri 02 Jan 15 @ 1:11 pm
it is very odd that the old 7.0.3 version manages to correct the issue that my laptop has sometimes with the newer versions! I think it might be something to do with the native laptop sound drivers (it has two stereo outputs). The two outputs on my laptop might be confusing the new versions of virtual dj? I also connect a USB soundcard/controller and this is what I would prefer virtual dj to use (which it says it is using according to the config). Perhaps I should go into device manager and manually disable the onboard sound outputs so that there is less confusion? It's like the AC/3 encoded videos (avi files) are having their bass diverted elsewhere (but works perfectly OK with the old 7.0.3 version which is very confusing!!!)

Posted Mon 05 Jan 15 @ 3:51 pm
Unfortunately the sound quality is bad. Last weekend I tried to use 7.4.2 Pro version for music video mixing with my Native Instruments Audio 8 Dj sound card on my macbook pro but the sound was horrible. Before 7.4.2 i had crashes. Also the screen design has a cheap looking and it's not looking professional. Alternative skins are more bad than the original. I hope Atomix can do something for it. Until they do i don't wan't to spend more money for new updates. I don't care how many user they have in the world, it's not industry standard. Then i solved my problem with Cross dj software. It's sounds OK with the same sound card and it has a simple and cool looking.

Posted Mon 02 Mar 15 @ 6:06 am
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
@dv disco Have you tried knocking the sample rate upto 48kHz?

@CanHatipoglu "Spend more money on updates" Why do you need to spend money? You get updated for free.

Posted Mon 02 Mar 15 @ 7:03 am
blckjckPRO InfinityMember since 2008
Design issues are definitely more on individual taste. I actually think another major competitors look is much worse then the default VDJ skin.

As far as sound quality, maybe it's something as simple as gain structure, limiting, configuration, or another issue that can be worked out if you give more information.

Posted Mon 02 Mar 15 @ 9:54 am
Check your filter knob.

Posted Tue 03 Mar 15 @ 7:45 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)