Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Topic: LFE bass sound (It's in K-Lite Mega Codec) where is it in VDJ8???

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hi, I've just installed the Mega Codec (K-Lite) and have noticed an improvement in my windows7 music video files. However this improvement doesn't seem to be there when VDJ8 is running. Is there any way of getting the sound engine in VDJ8 to take notice of the LFE bass channel in the music files (might be an AC3 codec issue???) I have some example screen saves so you can see that the ffdshow/LAV in the mega codec is running with their classic media player but is ignored when virtual DJ is running...

and is the next image you can clearly see that these icons are missing when VDJ8 is running (and so is the LFE Bass).

Posted Sun 28 Dec 14 @ 5:47 am
As far as I am aware, VDJ8 doesn't allow use of external codecs any more.

Keith

Posted Sun 28 Dec 14 @ 6:01 am
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
Correct, all codecs are internal to VDJ8.

Posted Sun 28 Dec 14 @ 6:24 am
If what you're looking for is some sort of artificial bass enhancement, you could run a "sub harmonic enhancer" plugin on the master FX - or just buy better speakers! :-)

Posted Sun 28 Dec 14 @ 6:52 am
The LFE channel is just that, another channel. Many software implementations drop this channel when converting to stereo. Long ago I considered dropping this channel to be a bad idea. Normally a bass channel, but can contain any sound at all, so the main reason with TellyMedia you will hear all the channels when it converts surround to stereo. So after looking at this a very long time, when software does not include the LFE channel in the the conversion, I consider it to be a bug in the software. Note that TM does not use external codecs either.

This is a 7.1 surround sound that will simply count 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8. If you do not hear the number 4, it means the LFE channel has been dropped. With TM you will hear all the numbers.

http://www.tellyvisuals.com/7_1_24_bit_48000.zip

Posted Sun 28 Dec 14 @ 7:23 am
Don Moir wrote :
The LFE channel is just that, another channel. Many software implementations drop this channel when converting to stereo. Long ago I considered dropping this channel to be a bad idea. Normally a bass channel, but can contain any sound at all, so the main reason with TellyMedia you will hear all the channels when it converts surround to stereo. So after looking at this a very long time, when software does not include the LFE channel in the the conversion, I consider it to be a bug in the software. Note that TM does not use external codecs either.

This is a 7.1 surround sound that will simply count 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8. If you do not hear the number 4, it means the LFE channel has been dropped. With TM you will hear all the numbers.

http://www.tellyvisuals.com/7_1_24_bit_48000.zip

I have played this wav file in vdj8 and the "four" is missing, so vdj8 definitely ignores the LFE bass channel. The "four" is present in both windows media player and the classic media player that comes with the k-lite mega codec. I am worried that quite a few of my avi files were coded using ac3 encodes and may include a bass channel that vdj8 is ignoring (hence some of my video files sound too tinny and my speakers lose bass).

Posted Mon 29 Dec 14 @ 11:02 am
wav files only have 2 channels :-)

Posted Mon 29 Dec 14 @ 2:05 pm
There is no restriction that says wav files have only 2 channels. The above file has 8 channels and it would not matter if the extension was xyz. If you had examined the file you would know that it has 8 channels of audio in it.

More samples and information on surround wav files:

http://www.jensign.com/bdp95/7dot1voiced/

If you have a surround sound system, you can use TellyMedia to play them back in full surround sound. Normally though, I think you guys work only with stereo so you may not even know your audio or video files could have surround sound unless an issue like this comes up. I think many of you know your music for sure as well.

I think for a DJ, the restriction to stereo is imposed by the software you use and your speaker setup which I guess is normally stereo. Since I am not a DJ, I can only guess that a stereo setup is the most practical for you in many cases and the one that works best and most reliable.

Posted Mon 29 Dec 14 @ 2:26 pm
i can understand why a person wouldn't want to loose low frequencies but why use these multichannel files to DJ with nobody will ever know you have used them and they take up more HD space. No club or venue will have surround sound.

only use for it i can see is if you will be recording a video mix for replay on a DVD player with surround sound but i don't believe VDJ can output multichannel audio so that's out.

for these reasons i can understand why vdj lacks support for these files

best solution could be to just re-encode the files and mix down the ac3 or multichannel audio to stereo that way u can control how the channels are mixed together and loose no audio elements.

good luck

PS most large sound systems are in Mono

Posted Mon 29 Dec 14 @ 5:41 pm
I don't disagree with what you are saying wicked and I feel the same way about that. Knowing your music is how I have heard it said best.

VDJ does support the multichannel audio but the conversion to stereo is dropping the LFE channel. In the 7.1 example you hear 7 of the 8 channels but not LFE. It is a different argument whether you should be using these files or not and not the topic of this thread.

Probably the easiest way for these to sneak in would be with 5.1 video files. I assume most DJs will have their audio files down pat but maybe with video files not so much.

Posted Mon 29 Dec 14 @ 6:29 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)