Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Topic: Placement of new beat grid anchors is poor

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

It seems to me that there is an issue with the gray shaded "beat count indicators" when placing new beat grid anchors on a variable tempo track.

The shades are intended to indicate the 1/2/3/4 beat count, but when placing an anchor the new 'post-anchor' shades seem to vary.

Ideally the shades should go from light to dark after the new anchor (assuming the anchor is "on the one"), indicating 1/2/3/4 but the results are very random.

It may also be sometimes necessary to place an anchor on beats other than 1, so it would be preferable if the application of the gray shades was smarter.

Posted Mon 01 Dec 14 @ 9:35 am
Thanks Groovin for confirming this for me. This has been plaguing me since 8 first came out.

I hope this gets looked at soon cause it's causing me nothing but a major headache.

Posted Mon 01 Dec 14 @ 9:51 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
It is not random at all, it just continues counting.
If the previous beat was at 4, the anchor will be 1.
If the new bpm is slower than the previous (and beats are longer) then it may indeed happen that you place the new anchor only slightly after the previous anchor, so that actually 2 beats pass in a very short time.
In this case it should be no problem to move the anchor right on the previous beat (move it left until you see the beatgrid colors in the correct order)

I agree that it doesn't seem that intuitive when the new anchor is close to the start/end of the previous beat though.

Posted Mon 01 Dec 14 @ 10:07 am
So is something that will change?? Cause as of right now I still don't understand how it works.

In some cases I've had to add 3 different anchors on top of each other before everything was aligned the right way.

Also for me I'm not talking about tracks with a live drummer, I'm talking about a transition where it goes from 128 down to 90 in a few bars.

Something just doesn't seem right here. The count should start over when I set an anchor and it clearly doesn't do that with VDJ.

Posted Mon 01 Dec 14 @ 10:12 am
Adion wrote :
If the previous beat was at 4, the anchor will be 1

So why doesn't the gray shading reflect/confirm that?

If the anchor is 1, then the gray shade after the anchor should be the lightest - but that doesn't always happen.

You can even hear it confirmed by the metronome beep. It doesn't count "BEEP beep beep beep".

Posted Mon 01 Dec 14 @ 11:29 am
Cause it's broken even Adams video shows that it doesn't work right.........

For simple little tweaks sure it'll work great but you put some pressure on it and snap! As you've seen already 😡

Posted Mon 01 Dec 14 @ 12:00 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
Yeah you see in the vid there's a moment were Adam pauses and goes "erm..." and then continues, cause he's a pro and he only ever does one take.

Posted Mon 01 Dec 14 @ 1:08 pm
Zoom in closer and check if it's really not just after the previous beat. (If it's even a millisecond later, there will be one millisecond of beat 1 and then beat 2 would be your marker)
It should be easy to see that this is the case by moving the marker, either you move it to the right and you see that the previous beat was indeed at that position, or you move it left and you see that as you cross the boundary the shading changes.

Posted Mon 01 Dec 14 @ 1:51 pm
Adion wrote :
Zoom in closer and check if it's really not just after the previous beat. (If it's even a millisecond later, there will be one millisecond of beat 1 and then beat 2 would be your marker)

So what your saying is, EVEN though we've gotten used to the big block or fatter line (CDG Grid Squares along the bottom on the wave) being the "one" or "down beat" that when this happens that logic is no longer valid??

Why not just make it so that when an anchor is set that it's the lightest shade of grey (the one or down beat) cause I'm sure that's what 99% of us are excepting it to be.

I guess in the meantime I'll just zoom in and keep adding anchors every millimeter until I get the fat square/thicker line the adjust my grid from there........

Posted Mon 01 Dec 14 @ 8:25 pm
That logic is valid as long as you take care to keep it that way when adding new beatgrid anchors.
Except for when it's actually not just a tempo change but also the rhythm being discontinuous I think moving the beat-grid anchor to the previous beat should be enough to fix it, I don't think you need to add additional points in-between.

Posted Tue 02 Dec 14 @ 1:13 am
PachNPRO InfinityMember since 2009
how about a "snap" feature so that you don't have to set the anchor 100% to the right millisecond?
Instead it will snap to the next 1st beat.

Posted Tue 02 Dec 14 @ 5:07 am
Think I've figured it out. I went back and redid a bunch of transition track that I have and had no problems!!

I'll try to make a video tonight and post it up.

And yes all the anchors were on a downbeat so the grid remains correct, no starting on the 2nd or third beat.

I still think we need the ability to stretch a beat marker cause it's not always the downbeat. Kinda like Serato can.......

Posted Wed 03 Dec 14 @ 3:48 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)