Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Topic: Auto Gain

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Guys can I raise this again, previously highlighted by others but still no real resolution.

Auto gain just doesn't work. I'm getting some serious sound level discrepancies, going from majorly driven into the red to outputs down to almost 30-40% of peak.

Skin - VD8 by FRUiT
Zero Db set to 0.8
Gain set to Auto
Entire catalogue of music re-analyzed

Is there something I'm missing? or is auto gain just not working properly yet?

Posted Sun 23 Nov 14 @ 1:07 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
try Auto & remember

auto gain will never be perfect (too many variables) the correct practice is to use Auto&remember when preparing tracks (not live) so you can correct the machines best guess and for live performance switch to just autogain.

Posted Sun 23 Nov 14 @ 1:27 pm
Originally had it set to auto remember pre 8 and it was spot on. I'd read a couple of posts advising to change to just auto, either way it's not even hitting the dart board!

Posted Sun 23 Nov 14 @ 2:24 pm
i have noticed some tunes with punchy bass still push the level a bit high

maybe u should be using a lower zerdb maybe 0.5 or 0.7
that or you could run loudmax vst on the master getting good results here with it

worth a shot :-)

Posted Sun 23 Nov 14 @ 3:20 pm
Cheers man, I'd rather have the headroom to play with than kerb the signal with loudmax.

It seam most modern songs behave themselves, not all, older songs or backing tracks are all over the place.

Just don't get why there is such a notable difference between V7 and V8.

Posted Sun 23 Nov 14 @ 5:22 pm
try changing the scratch quality to 2, this helps with tracks playing at other than their native tempo

Posted Sun 23 Nov 14 @ 8:44 pm
This is a major problem for me too I have tried all the auto gain settings and every track is driven to the limiter and thus causing clipping. This was never an issue on vdj 8 and you could see then gain knob change position when a track loaded on to a deck now it appears to do nothing at all unless you manually adjust it.

Posted Sat 13 Dec 14 @ 2:50 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
By default, with auto gain enabled, the gain slider when centered already includes the autogain, so it should be fine if it is in the center.
You can hover your mouse over the gain slider to get some info about the actual gain applied in the tooltip.

Posted Sat 13 Dec 14 @ 4:24 am
Hi guys just my thoughts auto gain hmm after a lot of messing about I have got it near spot on as wicked said if you go into advance settings audio tab make sure auto gain is set to auto+remember and set your 0db to .9 for all modern 320 tracks and older 60's etc try .82 you can play around with these settings make sure all gain knobs are at 12 oclock on your controller and don't adjust them this gives me a better base setting by far.

Let me know how you get on guys cheers
John

Posted Thu 12 Feb 15 @ 7:45 am
I stopped messing with this and used MP3Gain on all my tracks and now they are ALL set to 98.

No issues. All tracks set to the exact same gain... done.

Scott

Posted Thu 12 Feb 15 @ 2:59 pm
Dear Mr. Perry Como(I hope you can get that one),
please can you explain that one a bit further, I've had this problem with clipping for ages now as I play a lot of old(real) music and can't seem to get the levels right.
pm me if you prefer. I would really appreciate your help on this matter.
alll the best
ray

Posted Thu 12 Feb 15 @ 5:40 pm
i used to use mp3gain ( http://mp3gain.sourceforge.net ) you can read what it does there. in short normalizes your files to a value you set.

what i use these days and i prefer but is not free is platinum notes ( http://www.platinumnotes.com ) its similar to mp3gain but process the files in a different way that i feel leaves you with better sounding files.

even using these gain must be set properly in vdj the programs just insure your input isn't clipping before it hits the program.

Posted Fri 13 Feb 15 @ 4:27 am
This is it. The thing to remember is - don't rely on the computer to be doing everything for you. :-)

Part of our jobs as DJs is to watch (and listen to) the levels and adjust accordingly. That's what the gain knobs and meters are there for!

Posted Fri 13 Feb 15 @ 6:11 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)