Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Topic: A few issues overall with 8.0, DDJ SX & CDJ 850s

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

NrgPlyrPRO InfinityMember since 2004
This will be a simple list. Set aside the response for "it could be the system", because these issues are not present in VDJ 7.4 Pro. Thanks!
Here it is though to get it out of the way.
Samsung Quad Core I7
Win 7 Pro
8gb Ram
1gb Dedicated Video Card Memory
1st internal HD - 500gb - System & VDJ only
2nd internal HD - 1TB - Music/Videos
No the system does not touch the internet
Yes it is an ultra clean boot

Program issues-
1) Sorting takes an exuberant amount of time, especially when folders are large. If you click on a column to sort (artist, title, length, etc) it takes several seconds to sort where in VDJ 7.4 it was instantaneous. Not sure why this is the case and how it got by beta testers.
2) When you do sort, the part of the list you wind up at can be anywhere in the overall folder. In VDJ 7 you stay at the top of the list when you sort. In other words, if I was at the top of the list and clicked the column header for "bpm" my folder location should STAY at the top and not move, only the .mp3s should sort. This def needs to be fixed.
3) In VDJ 7 when you search for a song by typing it in, after if you just click in the search box, it clears it, in VDJ 8 it does not, causing the need to hit the X or delete the whole thing to get back to your regular files, or you have to click another folder. It was much easier to just click the search box and it would automatically erase.
4. There should be an option to remove the wave readout at the top of the screen. The red/blue one. It should at least be an option. I don't see the need graphically representing the file 3 times on the screen, unless you are going to make the top readout color as well then the scratch layout is not needed. It also takes processing power to output the wave readout 3 TIMES. It is better to be able to remove them an should at minimum be an option, especially for the "top of the screen" readout.

DDJ-SX- Really trying to get flawless performance from this unit in VDJ 8, but am having issues.
1) Is there any clear cut reason why it seems like tracks take a ridiculously long time to load on the SX and yields audio issues/freezing sometimes?
2) I'm seeing conflicting statements that the controller should be left in Serato mode to work right or it needs to be switched to "other software" . Final answer is??
3) How much does the "midi clock" setting in the SX play a role into performance? I keep reading it is set ridiculously low factory wise and needs to be raised, which I've done. It seems to help a bit but I can't find any info truly what its role is and how high it really should be.
4) Is there a preferred setting for the audio latency or is it strictly dependent on system specs?

CDJ 850s-
1) Cant get audio out of the 2nd CDJ 850 when in ASIO mode. I need to select WASAPI for some reason. If I select CDJ ASIO for deck two it picks up the deck, the track loads and responds touch platter wise and all, but no audio comes out of the CDJ 850. So for the setup I have both CDJs set up as (PIONEER CDJ 850(WASAPI)) and (2- PIONEER CDJ 850 (WASAPI)). Usually these are set up as ASIO in VDJ 7. What is the difference and is there a risk?
2) Track information does not come up on the physical decks. Only track time comes up. Is there a setting to resolve this or is this an issue to flag to resolve?
3) Tie in from the SX issues for reference- The track load time for the 850s seems perfectly fine and causes no issues.

I'd love to hear from the overall community about this list and thoughts as well the VDJ programmers/engineers to get their thoughts?

Thanks!

Posted Sat 01 Nov 14 @ 9:03 pm
PachNPRO InfinityMember since 2009
To your programm issues:

No. 2 and 3 are intended and not a bug. However, they should be made as an optional behaviour. Personally I like it the way it is now, others don't.

No 4 could be solved by using a custom skin.

SX issues:

1) I don't have that problem.
2) Should be Serato mode.
3) I'm using factory default. No problems.
4) I'm using VDJ default values and no problems.

Posted Mon 03 Nov 14 @ 4:33 am
Quote :

1) Sorting takes an exuberant amount of time, especially when folders are large. If you click on a column to sort (artist, title, length, etc) it takes several seconds to sort where in VDJ 7.4 it was instantaneous. Not sure why this is the case and how it got by beta testers.

How many files per folder ?
Also, do you have "Filedate" field open in the browser ?
Quote :

2) When you do sort, the part of the list you wind up at can be anywhere in the overall folder. In VDJ 7 you stay at the top of the list when you sort. In other words, if I was at the top of the list and clicked the column header for "bpm" my folder location should STAY at the top and not move, only the .mp3s should sort. This def needs to be fixed.

That is a feature and it can be switched to the old (v7) behavior. Open config, go on settings, check the show advanced options box and change the "keepsortorder" setting to NO
Quote :

3) In VDJ 7 when you search for a song by typing it in, after if you just click in the search box, it clears it, in VDJ 8 it does not, causing the need to hit the X or delete the whole thing to get back to your regular files, or you have to click another folder. It was much easier to just click the search box and it would automatically erase.

That is also a feature that many users asked for. Currently if you click on the textbox it does not clear it, but it selects ALL the text automatically. Which means that you can either start typing directly to perform a search, or just hit backspace to delete the text. There's no need to delete the text letter by letter.
Quote :

4. There should be an option to remove the wave readout at the top of the screen. The red/blue one. It should at least be an option. I don't see the need graphically representing the file 3 times on the screen, unless you are going to make the top readout color as well then the scratch layout is not needed. It also takes processing power to output the wave readout 3 TIMES. It is better to be able to remove them an should at minimum be an option, especially for the "top of the screen" readout.

The "top" waves (rhythm waves) have been there forever and it's the "trademark" of the software. They can be removed by using a skin other than the default.
Also, unless you select the "scratch" panel on center the track is represented 2 times on screen. One is the progress bar that shows the entire track and second is the "rhythm" on top which show a special filtered waveform of the bassline zoomed on the playing position.
Quote :

1) Is there any clear cut reason why it seems like tracks take a ridiculously long time to load on the SX and yields audio issues/freezing sometimes?

Slow loading has nothing to do with the controller you use. It has to do with your system specs and in particular with your CPU and HDD speed.
Since you mention slow folder loading I would suspect it's the HDD that slows down the process.
Quote :

2) I'm seeing conflicting statements that the controller should be left in Serato mode to work right or it needs to be switched to "other software" . Final answer is??

Serato
Quote :
3) How much does the "midi clock" setting in the SX play a role into performance? I keep reading it is set ridiculously low factory wise and needs to be raised, which I've done. It seems to help a bit but I can't find any info truly what its role is and how high it really should be.

There's no "midi clock" on SX. If you refer to jog trans interval then the best value for most systems is 4ms. You should raise it only if you use an obsolete OS like Vista or you have a REALLY slow system.
Quote :
4) Is there a preferred setting for the audio latency or is it strictly dependent on system specs?

It depends on the system specs, but Pioneer ASIO drivers are very well written. This means that on most systems the default settings work out of the box. Open the Pioneer ASIO control panel and press the "Default Settings" button. If these settings don't work for you go up one notch at the time. If you get to go more than 10ms latency then your system really suffers from DPC issues and you should troubleshoot it.
Quote :
1) Cant get audio out of the 2nd CDJ 850 when in ASIO mode. I need to select WASAPI for some reason. If I select CDJ ASIO for deck two it picks up the deck, the track loads and responds touch platter wise and all, but no audio comes out of the CDJ 850. So for the setup I have both CDJs set up as (PIONEER CDJ 850(WASAPI)) and (2- PIONEER CDJ 850 (WASAPI)). Usually these are set up as ASIO in VDJ 7. What is the difference and is there a risk?

When you select ASIO for CDJ 850 check which channels they get assigned. If they both get assigned to CH1+2 you need to manually change the settings for second deck to CH3+4.
The Pioneer ASIO driver keeps adding channels while you add devices. Therefore there's no standard number of ASIO channels.
The difference between ASIO and WASAPI is that ASIO can offer lower latency. Other than that there's no real difference or any risk by using WASAPI. Also in some cases both ASIO and WASAPI may offer the same latency, but that's system dependent.
Quote :

2) Track information does not come up on the physical decks. Only track time comes up. Is there a setting to resolve this or is this an issue to flag to resolve?

When was the last time you updated VirtualDj ? Also, do you use any custom mapper ?
The best way to resolve this issue is to connect the computer on line, open VirtualDj and let it sitting for 1-2 minutes without doing anything. It will silently update the controllers definitions and it will also prompt you if there's any build update available for you.
Quote :

3) Tie in from the SX issues for reference- The track load time for the 850s seems perfectly fine and causes no issues.

As I said, loading times have nothing to do with the connected controller. Unless you have done something in your SX mapper that stresses out CPU and causes slower loading times.

Posted Mon 03 Nov 14 @ 5:44 am
NrgPlyrPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Really appreciate the answers to the questions guys!

The file sorting makes no sense on the speed. The # of files is irrelevant and which column header is being used is as well. Only reason I say this is because in 7.4 the sorting was instantaneous and now in 8.0 it is not. Same folder sizes, same column headings. There must be a reason why this is occurring and I've seen others say the same. Blaming it on # of files and how they are sorted doesn't hold water due to the old software managing just fine with the same data being used.

I'll have to change the settings to Serato mode and re-stress test the device a few times to see if any of the list resolves itself along with doing a program update. Is there a way to tell what build I am using? I have looked but can't seem to find it...

The load time is puzzling for the SX vs CDJs. I do notice a longer load time. I'm not using a custom mapper though, just the default.

Posted Mon 03 Nov 14 @ 9:43 pm
We are not blaming anything.
You are on the "Bug Forum"

This means that in order to see if there's indeed a "bug" we need to narrow it down as much as possible and find out what's causing it, before we can fix it.
Yes, there are a few people with similar issue. But there are thousands of others without. So, we need to find the common delimiter.
If we can't reproduce an issue, or find out what's causing it, we can't fix it.
For example I can sort 2000 files in the blink of an eye, with coverflow open and such on 6 different systems. 2 of them been old systems I used to use in 2008 to dj with and never really expected VirtualDj 8 to run sufficient enough on them (but it does :P)

As for the headers, yes it matters. For instance showing "filedate" on large lists will slow down the entire browser. That's because this information HAS to be read on the fly. It can't be stored inside the XML file itself because it keeps changing frequently.

Finally for DDJ-SX using the "Other than Serato" mode with the native mappers may indeed slow it down a little (since it receives commands that simply ignores) but I don't believe that it will have such a drastic impact on performance.

However, please keep us updated.

Posted Tue 04 Nov 14 @ 2:44 am
PachNPRO InfinityMember since 2009
NrgPlyr wrote :
Is there a way to tell what build I am using? I have looked but can't seem to find it...

Just open the config window. The build no. will be displayed at the very top in the window's title bar.

Posted Wed 05 Nov 14 @ 4:27 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)