Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Topic: v8 creates data in v7 data folder even when installer sets new data folder

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hi.

Installed v7 in default location and left data folder at default: "...\Documents\VirtualDJ".
Installed v8 into new folder and set data folder to "...\Documents\VirtualDJ8" during installation.
All installed files appeared in expected locations.

I ran v8 and it created "database.xml" and a new "folders" folder in the v7 data folder containing a "_SingerNames.vdjfolder" file which defined a FavouriteFolder I had in v7.

It appears that v8 likes to use the v7 default locations for some things even if the new location is configured and exists.

I am using Windows 7 Ultimate, v7.4.1 & v8.0.1960.0.

Posted Tue 07 Oct 14 @ 7:37 pm
How many separate posts are you going to make about this? :-O

VDJ 8 is set to look for and import the 7 database when it starts up......... so if your database was in \VirtualDJ then maybe that's had some bearing on where 8 made the new one.

What happens if either the old database is not found (rename it or move it temporarily) or it's placed in the \VirtualDJ8 folder?

Posted Wed 08 Oct 14 @ 5:20 am
Please stop creating multiple threads for the same manner.
Short answer to your reported "issues/bugs" is:
VirtualDj 8 will always look for VirtualDj 7 for backwards compatibility. Currently there is no way to separate the Home Folders of version 7 and version 8.
The only way to have 2 independend installations of Version 7 and Version 8 on the same computer is to use two different user accounts.

Thank you!

Posted Wed 08 Oct 14 @ 6:00 am
As a sidenote:
Besides the language files, NONE of the version 7 files will get harmed when you install version 8 over version 7.
Version 7 and version 8 can co-exist on the same "Home Folder"
Version 8 will NOT mess your version 7 installation as it uses it's own set of files and folders.

Posted Wed 08 Oct 14 @ 6:07 am
Whoa! Steady on! I explained my multiple posts when they were queried in the Tech Support forum. Is there a problem with my justification? (Support enquiry vs problem report and that the two reports are not related as the first one is a registry issue and the second is not.)

Thanks, groovindj, for the information. I am happy that v8 imports the v7 database. My problem was the installer created a database in the v8 folder but the program created one in the v7 folder as well without any of the data that was in the v8 one. However, PhantomDeejay has explained the position with regards to not being able to have different folders for each version so it's academic now. :)

Thanks PhantomDeejay, too. I didn't know about not being able to use different folders. I had assumed it was supported as it is an option in the installer. :)

Cheers. :)

Posted Wed 08 Oct 14 @ 6:22 am
Just seen your latest post, PhantomDeejay. :)

Thanks. I worked that out. I just don't know what to back up for each version from the Home Folder. As I explained elsewhere, my v7 install is very stable and synced with my live gigging machine (v7 only). I don't really want to back up the whole folder as if I need to restore the v8 part of it I might overwrite some v7 stuff that is more recent. Also, it's a lot of unnecessary data to sync with the gigging machine... ;)

I will explore using different user accounts... :)

Thanks for the input. I didn't mean to upset anybody.

Posted Wed 08 Oct 14 @ 6:28 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)