Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Topic: Registry conflict running v7 & v8 with different data folders

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hi.

If you install v7 and v8 and point the data into different folders during installation, the 'HomeFolder' and 'RunFolder' registry keys created by the latest installer are used. This causes both versions to use the folder, making keeping data for each version separate impossible.

If you are to allow installing both versions but using different data folders (which the installer does) then they should not share registry keys that relate to locations.

Posted Tue 07 Oct 14 @ 7:23 pm
I am using Windows 7 Ultimate, v7.4.1 & v8.0.1960.0.

Posted Tue 07 Oct 14 @ 8:34 pm
Duggy,

This is the 3rd thread you've created about running 2 versions. If you keep everything in the original thread it will make it easier for people to help you.

I don't think this is a bug BTW, it's a misunderstanding of how the software works.

Posted Wed 08 Oct 14 @ 1:54 am
Hi and thanks for your input. :)

My original post asking for advice was (correctly) in the PC Tech Support forum. When I found what I believed to be a registry-related bug, I reported it (correctly, again) in the VirtualDJ 8 bug-report Forum. I then found what I believe to be a separate issue (regarding running two versions but not registry-related) and so I reported that also in the same forum but with a new topic. As a former software developer and technical support manager for a software company, I appreciate the need to separate issues that are similar but may not share the same cause so they can be addressed separately. If you require a more detailed explanation as to why I believe they are different issues, I can explain in the other post. :)

Here are the facts for this issue:
- Version 8 allows you to set a different data folder during installation.
- During installation, version 8 is setting registry variables defining data location (HomeFolder and RunFolder).
- Version 7, when it loads, uses the same variables to find it's data and looks in the wrong place if the location is not the same as before the v8 install.

Please can you explain what I have misunderstood about how the software works?

Regards,
Duggy.

Posted Wed 08 Oct 14 @ 2:39 am
From what Atomix staff have said in the past, VDJ 8 does not use the registry.

Instead, there is a file (settings.xml) which is used to store.....well, settings.

Posted Wed 08 Oct 14 @ 3:17 am
Thanks for the reply.

When v8 starts up, it does not know where settings.xml is (as the data folder location can be customised during installation). That location is stored in the registry keys noted above, causing the conflict with v7 when that location is not the same as v7's folder.

The solution is quite simple: use a uniquely named key for v8 to store the user's data folder location. If the registry is not used again, this fixes the issue (for both versions).

(By the way, try doing a custom install of v8 and set the data folder to a unique folder name and then search the registry for that folder name. V8 uses the registry A LOT! LOL)

Posted Wed 08 Oct 14 @ 3:38 am
For the devs...

v7 writes these keys:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\VirtualDJ
HomeFolder = C:\Users\Doug\Documents\VirtualDJ741\
RunFolder = C:\Program Files (x86)\VirtualDJ741\

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\VirtualDJ
Home Folder = C:\Users\Doug\Documents\VirtualDJ741\
HomeFolder = C:\Users\Doug\Documents\VirtualDJ741\

v8 then overwrites them:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\VirtualDJ
HomeFolder = C:\Users\Doug\Documents\VirtualDJ81\
RunFolder = C:\Program Files (x86)\VirtualDJ81\

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\VirtualDJ
Home Folder = C:\Users\Doug\Documents\VirtualDJ81\
HomeFolder = C:\Users\Doug\Documents\VirtualDJ81\

I also found these which I think shows the installer is setting the same keys in both versions:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData\S-1-5-21-374067230-320585648-4018600988-1000\Components\02BF20DDFF943A3418B7EE22C1B31442
87D67ADE32C854244A1BA42971CAC93F = 01:\Software\VirtualDJ\RunFolder
F1E1AF0DFCB46684F8149624F3C69B7D = 01:\Software\VirtualDJ\RunFolder

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData\S-1-5-21-374067230-320585648-4018600988-1000\Components\E8CDC54E6053CDA448DA5A93DADF501B
87D67ADE32C854244A1BA42971CAC93F = 02:\Software\VirtualDJ\Home Folder
F1E1AF0DFCB46684F8149624F3C69B7D = 02:\Software\VirtualDJ\Home Folder

I think I should be able to work around this by installing each version in a separate user account but it should be an easy fix for the devs and, most importantly, it will give users the ability to run both versions truly independently. :)

Posted Wed 08 Oct 14 @ 4:41 am
Phantom Deejay (Atomix staff) has just confirmed elsewhere that VDJ 8 can be set to use another data location (and uses the registry only for this one thing), so it must have been updated at some point during the beta builds because it was definitely stated previously that 8 did not use the registry.

In this case then I agree, the settings for 8 should not disturb those for 7.

Posted Wed 08 Oct 14 @ 4:46 am
It's such an easy problem for a developer to fix, too. Manually changing the registry keys before running each version seems to do the trick so the code change to implement a new key is straightforward. Even migrating settings for an already-installed version should be easy. :)

Posted Wed 08 Oct 14 @ 6:34 am
JoeyKJPRO InfinityMember since 2008
This is precisely why I stopped using v8 because it was causing many issues for me in v7 which is the software version I use for my gigs.

This makes sense to me because After re-installing 7.4.1 again most of the major problems went away...and haven't used v8 since on my gig laptop..

Posted Wed 08 Oct 14 @ 11:38 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)