Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Topic: Very disappointing night. 1st V8 failure

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

So earlier today I did a 3.5 show With V 8 ver1941. Flawless. Tonight for my 5 hour show I let V8 upgrade to 1944'. Noticed a slight increase in CPU usage nothing crazy. About 3 hours into my night I lost all sound.... Controller still working perfectly. Just no sound. It didn't freeze it didn't crash, I quickly played my iPod which is plugged into my controller music works fine. (Vci-300 mkII) shut down V8 restart it. Still no sound. Go from asio4all to windows audio in the setup. Still no sound. Fire up v7 everything's working great. Played for about 20 mins in v7. Went back to iPod. Switched back to V8. Still no sound. Not in the headphones not in the outputs. V8 would not output sound at all. Finished the night with 7. Never had anything like this in previous builds so I'm gonna guess something in 1944 ,

Im using bootcamped Mac running win 7 , I've used the vci-300 with asio4all in v7 for almost 4 years never had any issues. I've been using it with v8 with no issues till tonight.

Thoughts???

Johnny

Posted Sun 31 Aug 14 @ 2:48 am
Running VDJ 7/8 on Window 7 64 bit.

This same thing happened to me tonight at my gig. First, Virtual DJ 8 would fire up- but I got a pop-up saying that my hardware controller (VMS4.1) needed a license to use Virtual DJ 8. (I have a license for 7 PRO and 8 and have used 8 and my controller together flawlessly in past gigs.) Not sure what this was about? I could not "sign in" Virtual DJ because I was not anywhere near internet access. Again, this was not an issue at past gigs. Virtual DJ 8 functioned intermittently, but then the pop up would come back up and Virtual DJ would not interact with my controller.

I switched to Virtual DJ 7 Pro, which worked fine, but then, out of nowhere, my left deck stopped outputting sound. My controller still would trigger the midi functions of VDJ, but no sound came out of any output, headphones included. Switched to my back up computer and restarted VDJ7 on my main computer; after that, it worked fine the rest of the evening.

Not sure what's going on with both versions, but I have used the combination of VDJ 7 and 8 with my VMS4.1 several times recently without any problems.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Posted Sun 31 Aug 14 @ 3:04 am
Sounds as if you just weren't logged in to VDJ 8.

You must've either logged out the last time you used it, or logged in on another computer (which would log out the first one when next used, if it had online access).

Advice: Don't ever log out of VDJ 8. If you're using 8 on two or more computers, ensure that your main one is activated (logged in) before you leave for the gig. You can keep two computers logged in as long as you deny them internet access, so they can't log each other out.

You can also keep a copy of each computers license file elsewhere on the computer or on a flash drive etc. so it can be put back in the directory should you find yourself stuck.

Posted Sun 31 Aug 14 @ 3:44 am
Again, I had a similar issue last night. Friday night was my first gig with VDJ 8, working fine. Saturday I had my usual run through off my songs, set up for my gig (still working fine) through the day. I brought my laptop home, updated to VDJ 8 PC Build 1932.780 and when I went back to the venue my controller packed in after 10 minutes. Shut VDJ down and rebooted without controller and then had issues with cracking sound and songs suddenly stopping mid song.

I haven't logged out of VDJ and only run the software on one laptop.

Posted Sun 31 Aug 14 @ 8:00 am
Well I know my issue had nothing to do with logging in. It appears the software stopped outputting audio I have no idea why

Posted Sun 31 Aug 14 @ 8:12 am
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
'twas a bit brave of you to use a beta build for a live performance, especially since the previous build was working ok.

Posted Sun 31 Aug 14 @ 11:06 am
@groovindj- Thanks! That's most likely what happened, and I didn't think of that! If I shouldn't log out of VDJ8, can I run VDJ 7 on my back up computer without any of these issues? VDJ7 saved my butt last night!

Posted Sun 31 Aug 14 @ 11:08 am
Loco, i have to be honest i've used the beta builds for live performance every time, this time it bit me.... Not to mention the previous build I used earlier in the day was a beta build as well. It did sound great till it stopped outputting sound, wonder what they tweaked in the sound engine

Posted Sun 31 Aug 14 @ 12:11 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
dangerous djjohnnyrox :-)

Posted Sun 31 Aug 14 @ 12:13 pm
jasonhooper wrote :
If I shouldn't log out of VDJ8, can I run VDJ 7

The two are not linked. You don't have to log out of 8 to use 7.

7 uses a serial number to determine who you are/if you're entitled to use it. 8 uses a login system. You can have both installed with either affecting the other.

Posted Sun 31 Aug 14 @ 12:16 pm
Ya.... I like living on the edge!

Posted Sun 31 Aug 14 @ 12:41 pm
Thanks for the help!

Posted Sun 31 Aug 14 @ 9:38 pm
This is too coincidental to occur without warning!! I believe the most recent update causes a conflict with DJ controllers. I noticed VDJ have removed the controller skins from the download pages. I too was playing at my normal Friday night gig when BAM!! VDJ stopped working with my controller. I currently run v8 with the NUMARK 4trak controller and had no problems running this setup until 5 minutes when I started my gig and SURPRISE!! a controller window pops up saying I had to license my 4trak controller otherwise VDJ8 will only work for 10 minutes when connected to an unlicensed controller. Like the other DJs put on the spot. The controller license popup demanded a credit card payment (yes I had wifi internet connection at the time) but did not have my credit card handy to make the purchase. I was left in the deep end having to disconnect from my 4trak controller. I continued by reconfiguring my master output to my headphone jack and then using an RCA cable fed into mixer channel. This saved the night but it stressed me out for a good 30-45minutes.

I have not licensed my controller but can any one who has confirm that v8 + Controller is working without any hiccups??

Posted Mon 13 Oct 14 @ 7:27 am
As a PRO Infinity user, all you had to do was to make sure you are logged in the software with the proper username and password. Especially since you had internet access at the time.
As a PRO Infinity user you wouldn't have to pay anything extra in order to get your controller working as well.
Most likely you forgot to log-in.
Even in that case, all you had to do was to close the pop-up window, open the config, click on licenses icon on the left, and press the log-in button on top of the page. You would have been up and running in less than 30 seconds.

Posted Mon 13 Oct 14 @ 7:45 am
Sorry phantom but this is not the solution because I did login as a profinity user immediately when VdJ8 fired up. In fact there are many other times when I have disconnected from the wifi or skipped the login part and my controller has worked perfectly fine for Vdj8. Therefore logging in is not the issue here.

I have never seen this licensing Numark controller window before so I'm thinking is this a new directive from Numark?
Hopefully someone else there can replicate this issue.

I will proceed to try and replicate the issue and document in more details. I'm hoping I don't have to fork out the $150 or so dollars to relicense my controller. Standby.

Posted Mon 13 Oct 14 @ 5:07 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)