Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Topic: Weird autogain issue, set audio level is not retained

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Build 1932

- VDJ set as AUTO+remember
- Analyzed a folder with new songs
- As usual the autodetected gain is low for the most part so I worked through the list of songs and adjusted the gain accordingly
- For example, I set the gain to 3.2 for a specific track
- A few tracks later, I re-open the previous track and while it still shows a gain of 3.2 the actual audio level is either too high or too low.
- Seems to be happening with random tracks the same way the grid gets misaligned

Any suggestions?

Posted Mon 25 Aug 14 @ 2:40 pm
dcomoPRO InfinityMember since 2012
Finally someone has the same issue that I have with 1932!!

Posted Mon 25 Aug 14 @ 9:25 pm
I just realized that when a track is played at a pitch other than the original recorded one, the audio level jumps to a very noticeable high setting. For example, if I set the gain for a track @ 128bpm and then move the pitch slider to 126bpm the audio level goes haywire. Is very hard to make recordings this way.

Posted Mon 15 Sep 14 @ 2:08 am
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
This has been brought up before,
question; on play back of your recordings do you notice the limiter kicking in audibly? (because really that is the only thing that matters)
It has been explained (by Adion) that MasterTempo creates transient artefacts that are so brief (ms) that although visually it looks like the levels have increased, the difference in actual audio level is negligible.

Posted Mon 15 Sep 14 @ 7:16 am
Well, I don't recall this being an issue with VDJ7, specifically I don't recall the audio level go up while playing with the pitch slider.

So far my observations have been by looking at the software VU meters. I've been trying to observe the end effects on the actual recording but with the limiter activated by default is very hard to see the rate of level climbing since all gets capped. Will look into this some more....

As far as hearing the "limiter" on the actual recording, well I don't hear the limiter kick in but that would be because even if it does kick in it is for a very limited time while blending the tracks, but what is obviously very audible are the limiter side effects, like the volume going up and down and the audio distortion as if certain audio filters were being applied.
Let's say there is a single peak, the limiter indicator flashes, the event came and went in matter of milliseconds, no big deal, but the distorion takes a lot longer than those few milliseconds to go away. It almost seems like the software waits to make sure no futher peaks are up the line before turning its weird effects off.

Posted Mon 15 Sep 14 @ 4:56 pm
I have seen similar issue with gain settings. If you have a brand new track in your library and load it up on vdj8 it will get the gain correct every time. However, for tracks that were existing in from your vdj7 library then vdj8 will under-compensate the gain dramatically making it sound too quiet. I then have to set the gain control to "zero" for that track which resets the sound level correctly (gain is set to "auto and remember). I have also seen tracks analysed with a vastly negative gain yet the sound is correct in my headphones, I then have to re-load the track on a deck and the sound gets too quiet which allows me to reset the gain to 0 and all is OK again!!! This is frustrating!!!

Posted Sat 20 Sep 14 @ 1:55 am
This issue it seems it has to do with the playback of tracks at speeds other than their native tempo. I seems, it has nothing to do with Auto-Gain.

Posted Mon 22 Sep 14 @ 5:53 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)