Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: VDJ8 Waveform Visibility

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I had a little play on VDJ8 the other day. I really liked how the deck control are in one panel now, instead of having submenus for effects etc. But what is up with the waveform display? I found it much harder to read compared to VDJ7 when beatmatching by eye. There's less contrast between it and the background, and they've put a reflection graphic over the area. Not clever UI design. Anyone know if it can be fixed?

Posted Wed 20 Aug 14 @ 12:56 pm
locodogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
Yip skin it to remove the glare, for best clarity I've found adding a cbg to the scratch wave is what is best for me.

Posted Wed 20 Aug 14 @ 1:46 pm
I'm guessing it's not too difficult to re-skin it and to just change the waveform background. I'll look into it.

Posted Wed 20 Aug 14 @ 5:35 pm
I had exactly the same issue with mine, as well as the cue point text being to small for me.

Open the main VirtualDJ folder (usually in my documents)
Open the Skins subfolder
Right click on the VirtualDJ8 zip file and extract it to a new folder
Choose the skin you want to change 2 deck 4 deck etc
Create a new folder and copy both the corresponding files into it e.g. 2 deck graphic file usually png & 2 Deck xml or 4 deck graphic file usually png & 4 Deck xml ect
open the new folder then open the graphics file with photoshop or the like and simply recolor the grey bit at the top of the screen (it should makes sense when you look at it !)
Save the edited graphic as a PNG file format in to the folder you created and just check the folder to make sure you have 1 graphic and 1 xml file in there
Rename the folder e.g. 'MySkin'
Zip the folder and put it in to the Skins subfolder
Open VDJ and change your skin to the one you created.

Changing the text size for the cue points is a little bit more lengthy but let me know if you need this info as well

Hope that helps you out

Posted Thu 21 Aug 14 @ 6:17 pm
Fixed. Cheers for that. Ok, I'm hoping to make that area more visible. I was thinking of enlarging the rhythm zone and waves vertically. But I guess if I enlarged the zone in the skin.png, I'd have to move all of the components below it, and then re-code every components' new location in the .xml file? Which would be a mammoth job.

Otherwise, how can I go about making the rhythm waves larger vertically, stretching from the very bottom of the existing rhythm zone to the very top? I use single peak waves instead of the mirrored ones (see pic: http://fr.virtualdj.com/image/5159/60748/redwave.jpg ). I had a look through the .xml but wasn't sure where to change it. I'm on the default 4 deck skin (VDJ7).

Posted Fri 22 Aug 14 @ 8:46 am
ScooxHome userMember since 2018
New to VDJ, the top waveform display is really hard to see. Users should not be required to hack the default skin to get basic functionality. The eyecandy is great but only if it doesn't affect usability, which in this case it clearly does.

Posted Wed 14 Nov 18 @ 4:18 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)