Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Topic: 1910.765 - Gain Settings (are we allowed to go into the yellow and red without limiting??)

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Can anyone let me know what is acceptable as a gain setting in version 8. From what I see, I will need to change most of my files as they appear to be too quiet compared to version 7. In image1 you can see that I have just loaded this file for the first time in version 8 and the gain has been knocked downwards quite a bit!! If I double-click the gain control it zeroes out and when I play I can see the loud bits of the song just nudge into the red (without any warning from the limiter). Is there any guideline that we shouldn't be going into the yellow and red??? If so, then the software is correct as it stays within the green and doesn't venture into the yellow or red if I leave the gain control alone.

Posted Mon 11 Aug 14 @ 12:20 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
It's a digital signal. As long as the limiter led doesn't light the signal is still the same as the original.
If you set autogain to 'auto' the gain will be set to 0dB on load, which should usually be fine.

Posted Mon 11 Aug 14 @ 3:19 am
Hmmm OK but, why did the software insist on giving the file a -7.7dB negative reduction. I'm certain that the file was plenty loud enough in version 7 so I'm miffed as to why so many of my files have been translated as being in negative gain.

Adion wrote :
It's a digital signal. As long as the limiter led doesn't light the signal is still the same as the original.
If you set autogain to 'auto' the gain will be set to 0dB on load, which should usually be fine.

Posted Mon 11 Aug 14 @ 1:14 pm
i think the answer is you file was 7db above zero db therefore it needs to be negative 7db so it does not clip.

the sound quality is so much better in vdj8 and i believe that the limiter will help keep it that way for everyone :-)

Posted Mon 11 Aug 14 @ 1:52 pm
I've looked at that possibility yet when I double-click the gain control (to zero it) the overall sound is good and as loud as I would like it without any clipping. There's something strange going on with the way version8 computes the gain from the version7 database. I have a Hercules DJ Console mk4 attached to a laptop running windows7 32bit. Setting the gain to "auto" is fixing the error that appears to be applied when converting across to version8 so I will run version8 with "auto" only for the gain for now.

wickedmix wrote :
i think the answer is you file was 7db above zero db therefore it needs to be negative 7db so it does not clip.

the sound quality is so much better in vdj8 and i believe that the limiter will help keep it that way for everyone :-)

Posted Tue 12 Aug 14 @ 12:08 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)