Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Topic: Build 1897.765 -- Virtual folders in database are not listed in the skin

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hi,
Just installed version8 (build 1897.765) on a Windows 7 32bit Laptop. I like the improvements and the new look but.....
I have checked the two database files (I have a D: drive where I keep my music videos so there are two database files). Both are intact and appear to list all of my virtual folders. However, when I open up the software, the skin only displays around 75% of my folders. I check my "favorite" folder and it lists 6520 music videos and that is correct. The "red" virtual folders are mostly there but not all of them are being picked up from the database file. This is a show stopper as I now only have access to my "slow" and "medium" virtual folders. My "fast" virtual folder and it's sub folders are missing from the skin. It's a real pain as I if this can't be fixed I shall need to revert to using the old version 7. I have an old copy of the database files so hopefully I will be able to use version 7 again.

Just checked again and can see that the new version 8 uses a "folders" file structure. Unfortunately I prefixed my "fast" virtual folder in version7 with a load of asterisks - so I can assume that when version8 was installed it couldn't create the file structure due to the use of unfriendly filename characters!!! I wish there was a warning pop-up message that would terminate the install and instruct me to go back into version 7 and rename my virtual folders so that they do not contain illegal filename characters!!! OR... maybe the version8 installer could rename any virtual folders from the version7 database files before importing and creating the folders structure.

Posted Sun 10 Aug 14 @ 1:35 pm
I've found a temporary fix for this!...
I had already made some changes to some of my files using version 8, and found that the newly edited files (for colour coding and gain) were in a file called database.xml that was saved in my data drive (in my case it was in D:\VirtualDJ\database.xml) so I renamed that file and kept it safe on the root of my D: drive.
The new "VirtualDJ" directory on my D: drive is where the version 8 program stores virtual folders.
Next, I had to find my original version 7 database files (luckily I always save these as I have to use them when updating another laptop).
My original version 7 database files were...
D:\VirtualDJ Local Database v6.xml
"My Documents"\VirtualDJ\VirtualDJ Database v6.xml
I then had to uninstall version 8 and reinstall version 7.
Then overwrite the version 7 database files with my originals.
Then.. fire up version 7 and rename all of the red folders that have any special characters that microsoft will not allow in a windows 7 filename.
Next.. close out of version 7, copy the two database files to a safe place (just in case!)
uninstall version 7
install the new version 8
I now notice that all of my virtual folders are present!!!
close version 8 and copy the "database.xml" file into D:\VirtualDJ (it may be a different place depending on where your data files are kept)
fire up version 8.
I now have all of my virtual folders and all of the colour and gain changes that I made earlier.
I did have to setup some of the options again as these appeared to default from the version 8 install.

[quote=]Hi,
Just installed version8 (build 1897.765) on a Windows 7 32bit Laptop. I like the improvements and the new look but.....
I have checked the two database files (I have a D: drive where I keep my music videos so there are two database files). Both are intact and appear to list all of my virtual folders. However, when I open up the software, the skin only displays around 75% of my folders. I check my "favorite" folder and it lists 6520 music videos and that is correct. The "red" virtual folders are mostly there but not all of them are being picked up from the database file. This is a show stopper as I now only have access to my "slow" and "medium" virtual folders. My "fast" virtual folder and it's sub folders are missing from the skin. It's a real pain as I if this can't be fixed I shall need to revert to using the old version 7. I have an old copy of the database files so hopefully I will be able to use version 7 again.

Just checked again and can see that the new version 8 uses a "folders" file structure. Unfortunately I prefixed my "fast" virtual folder in version7 with a load of asterisks - so I can assume that when version8 was installed it couldn't create the file structure due to the use of unfriendly filename characters!!! I wish there was a warning pop-up message that would terminate the install and instruct me to go back into version 7 and rename my virtual folders so that they do not contain illegal filename characters!!! OR... maybe the version8 installer could rename any virtual folders from the version7 database files before importing and creating the folders structure.[/quote]

Posted Sun 10 Aug 14 @ 4:01 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
There was indeed a problem importing virtual folders with characters that are not allowed in file names, this will be fixed in the next update.

Posted Sun 10 Aug 14 @ 4:10 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)