Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Topic: Distortion with External Mixer

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hi VDJ Team,

I own both the Pioneer DDJ-SX and DDJ-SZ. I get distortion with audio files recorded load with my DDJ- SZ but not in my DDJ-SX. No adjustments in the options menu prevents this.

It seems to me that the VDJ limiter and DB adjustment is only active on the VDJ master mix output which is internally processed. Please confirm that direct output from the decks to channels of external mixer is not processed through the db pad adjustment and the limiter.

The difference between the DDJ-SX and The DDJ-SZ is the SX is only a controller, mixes are internally processed by VirtualDJ via the master out while the DDJ-SZ is an external mixer and mixes are performed via its analog mixer (external). It seems that the direct outputs from the VDJ decks to DDJ-SZ channel strip are to hot and distort with songs that are recorded loud. It seems to be is no way for me to prevent distortion via VDJ limiter or db pad settings. Gain and volume adjusts reduces the volume while keeping the distorted sound.

If I assign a master output to channel 1 DDJ-SZ for example the distortion goes away even if the db setting is zero. If I output deck 1 to the main output of DDJ-sx I get digital distortion in that board as well. Please confirm if direct deck out to external mixer are un processed.

If my findings are correct and the deck outputs are unprotected by limiters or db pad could you make the db pad setting and limiter setting in options a global function that affects all outputs including headphones rather than just the main master mix?

Thanks.

Posted Mon 04 Aug 14 @ 10:55 pm
I have the same problem using Denon MC6000. It seems like there is some kind of digital distortion before the signal is sent to the external mixer and that i cannot change the "vu"-level. Correct me if im wrong.

Posted Tue 09 Dec 14 @ 4:20 pm
sorry to mention this incase you have tried it, but have you checked your usb cable to the controller, i've had distortion problems on a few occasions, changing the usb cable usually cures it for me

Posted Thu 11 Dec 14 @ 12:31 pm
The distortion is always perfectly correlated to the VU gain meter peaks inside vdj8, so i can hardly imagine this is a hardware issue.

Posted Sat 13 Dec 14 @ 4:23 pm
@Persamuel1
if you have distortion when the meter peaks (if u mean by peak hits the top) it is because you signal is too hot lower your gains and it should go away

Posted Sun 14 Dec 14 @ 7:18 pm
Further to this: Running an audio signal through VDJ with too much gain should not cause distortion. There are permanent limiters in VDJ 8 to prevent this.

What will happen however is that the character of the audio will change. It will become compressed and begin pumping.

To prevent this, lower the channel gains.
Digital DJ Tips -> A Practical Guide To Volume Settings For DJs

Posted Mon 15 Dec 14 @ 5:25 am
RaguTomPRO InfinityMember since 2011
Slightly incorrect....If you jam up the channel gains, you will most certainly introduce distortion into the path internally. Distortion is nothing more than the tops of the soundwave being chopped off and flattened (creates square waves at the peaks). This can be done at any point in the chain, including software. VDJ's limiters work well, but not if the signal is already clipped and distorted. The easiest way to prevent this is to turn on auto-gain and don't go overboard on your mixer gains. By default VDJ always pushes the max channel gain so that the peak of the song hits 0dB. This can be adjusted further downward by using the Volume Headroom option. I know it is there in 7, not sure about 8.

If you can't push enough volume out of your mixer then you need to be using an outboard EQ or something to equalize your signal level to the rest of the system. If you are using RCA cables into a balanced system (XLR or 1/4 inch) you have already lost most of your gain. Consumer stuff (RCA) is -10dB level and pro stuff (XLR and 1/4 inch) is +4db level. Mixing them together without proper impedance matching will cost you signal loss and extra noise. If you run proper levels through the whole system you can bring your external mixer volumes way down. Even more so if you can boost a little with an outboard device between your mixer and amps.

Posted Mon 15 Dec 14 @ 4:00 pm
Sonisphere,

Disregard some of what I said. I forgot that you had said you already played with the settings. For your solution, albeit a PITA, you could run a normalize program on all of your tracks to lower the volumes. although it would be a better solution to implement a solution in VDJ 8.

BTW, on VDJ7, volume headroom was per track, per channel. I don't even believe I have seen the option in 8 for some reason!

If you normalize, please test a few tracks first and make a backup of your library! Don't lose everything! :-)

Posted Mon 15 Dec 14 @ 4:05 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
ragutom wrote :
Slightly incorrect....If you jam up the channel gains, you will most certainly introduce distortion into the path internally. Distortion is nothing more than the tops of the soundwave being chopped off and flattened (creates square waves at the peaks). This can be done at any point in the chain, including software. VDJ's limiters work well, but not if the signal is already clipped and distorted. The easiest way to prevent this is to turn on auto-gain and don't go overboard on your mixer gains. By default VDJ always pushes the max channel gain so that the peak of the song hits 0dB. This can be adjusted further downward by using the Volume Headroom option. I know it is there in 7, not sure about 8.

Obviously vdj's limiter will be run after the channel gains before the output is sent out of the sound card, so there would only be compression, no clipping.

Posted Mon 15 Dec 14 @ 10:53 pm
Since you are able to introduce a positive gain increase to the channel gains, you could easily clip the signal beyond the amount of correction that the built in limiter allows correction of.

Posted Tue 30 Dec 14 @ 8:07 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
There is no limit on how much the built-in limiter can reduce the volume to prevent clipping, so no, it would not be possible to make it clip by increasing the gain.

Posted Tue 30 Dec 14 @ 8:16 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)