Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Topic: CPU use when is video activated

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

vjmundyPRO InfinityMember since 2014
It's only a question, I was testing 4K video playing, I have discover when video is activated playing a video 4K use 01.6% processor, while is only audio use 02.1%.

There is a reason for this? when only audio module, audio have a better processing instead video plus audio is playing?.

Posted Sun 27 Jul 14 @ 12:52 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
CPU usage is a complicated thing to measure these days, so it's basically only to be used as a guide to see if it doesn't reach too high values which could lead to degraded performance.

The reason you might see lower cpu usage while playing video, is that while playing video, the cpu has to do more work, and thus switches to a higher frequency.
Without video, it may have enough power even at the lowest frequency.
So suppose the cpu is at 1Ghz, it uses 2.1% of the time for audio, but when the cpu increases frequency to 1.5Ghz, it would only need 1.6% of the time for audio, actually doing the same amount of work.

Posted Sun 27 Jul 14 @ 3:35 pm
vjmundyPRO InfinityMember since 2014
I see, good point, speed processor nowadays are variables, switching performance according to usage.
I was thinking maybe there was missing internal functions running with video instead audio not. but was wrong :).
Thanks.

Posted Sun 27 Jul 14 @ 5:28 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
Indeed, audio quality/functionality remains the same whether you use video or not.

Posted Tue 29 Jul 14 @ 3:38 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)