Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Topic: Mac vs Bootcamped PC version

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I have VDJ7 & VDJ8 on my MBP, the Mac version and the PC version. The idea being that I would normally use the PC version, but, have the Mac version as backup if Windows gave me any trouble at a gig. Only ever used the Mac version of VDJ7 once at a gig in the last 4 years, so it would be pretty rare.

So far, I haven't set up the Mac version as it was rubbish and falling over at the slightest thing, videos were keep freezing, heat was an issue, etc. After all the updates, bug fixes, etc. the Mac version has matured quite a bit since I last played around with it. Last night I spent some time setting it up by converting all my playlists, samples, etc. from the PC version. I ran it for a while mixing and it seemed to be much better with smoother video playback. Then I put my fingers just below the screen where the MacBook Pro label is and WOW!!! Nearly burned my fingers it was so hot. Only then did I look up and notice the processor was running at around 80%!!! Unbeleivable!!! The Mac version has all the cool running settings I use on the PC version with skinFPS = 16. This was without my MC6000 connected, just the laptop on it's own.

Running the same videos on the PC side and the processor hovers between 8-15% most of the time, loading a vid sometimes gets to 27% temporarily. Dunno how the Mac guys manage, unless there is a lot of things wrong with my Mac.

Mid 2010 MBP 15" i7 2.66MHz with 4GB RAM, OSX 10.9.4 all music and vids on an external USB 2TB drive.

Posted Mon 21 Jul 14 @ 2:14 am
Well, well, well. Just done a database clean on the Mac VDJ8. Then used MacKeeper to clean up the Mac completely. I also found mountains of stuff in the waste bin, I assumed that MacKeeper would have emptied the bin, doesn't seem to. Did it manually.

Now trying VDJ8 again this time the processor is hovering around 8% for the whole system!!!
I'm also running the Macs Fan Control 1.1.11 with sensor based values set to;

Left fan based on CPU core 0 = 64C-74C
Right fan based on CPU core 1 = 64C-74C

Core 0 is averaging 63C and core 1 is averaging 67C

Interesting, this with mp3s. Gonna try videos now :-)

Posted Mon 21 Jul 14 @ 3:21 am
OK with videos the system is hovering around 20-21%

CPU cores are hovering around 73C

Fans have increased quite a bit, running between 5-6,000 revs

Seems gig ready now, will do some more testing this week. :-)

Posted Mon 21 Jul 14 @ 3:56 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)