Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Topic: Audio quality issues with version 8

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I've been feeling that the sound from version 8 sounds compressed- far more than on version 7! I've tried adjusting levels and have adjusted the advanced option for 0 db level to 0.75 and 0.5 and still it just doesn't sound right. I decided to try the same songs using Traktor 2 on my Denon Mc3000 and the difference is like night and day! The audio is much more pristine with better highs and without the sound of compression than when I use VDJ8! This is very disappointing as I much prefer using Virtual DJ and the sampler and effects than using Traktor. Am I the only one experiencing this? Any suggestions- other than using Traktor!?

Posted Tue 15 Jul 14 @ 6:49 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
Which song, and what does the tooltip say when you hover your mouse over the gain slider of the deck?

Posted Wed 16 Jul 14 @ 4:58 am
dcomoPRO InfinityMember since 2012
I had a similar issue, however it was due to one of my filter knobs which was not recognized in V7 _is_ recognized in V8 and was turned. Once I noticed that and make it zero, the issue went away.

From what I personally experienced, the sound quality in v8 is better than V7 and the current release version of Traktor. (It's on par with Serato.)

Posted Wed 16 Jul 14 @ 10:34 am
Thanks Adion: It's mostly the newer highly compressed EDM songs. What am I supposed to look for by hovering the mouse over the gain slider (percent modulation?). I've been running the levels so the MC3000 deck indicators are below 0 db and the VDJ8 digital level meter is nowhere near peaking.

Also thanks dcomo: I'm frustrated because I've seen other Djs saying audio is better but I'm not experiencing that. My filter knobs are all working correctly and yet Traktor is sounding better. Perhaps an omen that I should FINALLY learn Traktor? :(

Posted Wed 16 Jul 14 @ 4:38 pm
dcomoPRO InfinityMember since 2012
I'm actually a Traktor convert and still have an active license. I really like VDJ since I can play tracks directly from folders whereas Traktor, you need to import everything into a database, constantly re-index, etc.

Posted Wed 16 Jul 14 @ 7:08 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
djduane2 wrote :
Thanks Adion: It's mostly the newer highly compressed EDM songs. What am I supposed to look for by hovering the mouse over the gain slider (percent modulation?). I've been running the levels so the MC3000 deck indicators are below 0 db and the VDJ8 digital level meter is nowhere near peaking.

The tooltip of the gain slider should show something like "GAIN: -1.3 dB", which is the actual gain based on the source file that vdj has applied.
It would still help if you could give a specific title so I can try here.
For the few I tried, I actually all got negative gains, so the volume was actually reduced and it was not even possible for the limiter to kick in (Alesso-Years -1dB, Calvin Harris-Under Control -3dB, David Guetta-Turn me on (remix) -1dB)

Posted Thu 17 Jul 14 @ 2:57 am
Thanks, Adion! I'm going to try a few tonight and will check the levels and report the info!!

Posted Thu 17 Jul 14 @ 9:39 pm
OK! I tried a few: Turn Me On David Guetta- tooltip gain -6.86db; Back to the Pump- Benny Benassi -6.80db; Birthday (Rizzo-H3dRush Mixshow)- Katy Perry -4.68db and Black Widow (Promo Only Intro) Iggy Azalea -6.29db so ALL are very low inputs and shouldn't cause the limiter to kick in. I'm beginning to think it may have more to do with where the files come from. I never noticed this problem to such an extent with version 7 but, perhaps, if version 8 has higher fidelity- it may show up the imperfections in the files to a greater extent? The songs I purchased from ITunes, for the most part, sound pretty good but some of the Pool cuts I'm using seem to have more distortion. Where do you get most of your songs from?

Posted Thu 17 Jul 14 @ 10:08 pm
i subscribe to promo only pool and all the tracks from there for the most part sound perfect in vdj8 :-)

Most of the newer EDM stuff is so compressed already that just a little more may make it sound crappy
all the same my pool tracks sound much better in vdj8 then 7

u might try and adjust you preferences to download the lossless m4a files from them and play a few of those through vdj8 u might just see a big difference i for one don't like their mp3 encodes.

i grab their m4a files and convert them to flac to save a little space and i think u get a great result.

Posted Fri 18 Jul 14 @ 4:15 am
Thanks wickedmix for the info!! I was using Promo Only but switched to masspool and they don't have the option for the mp4 format so may have to switch back!!! Thanks very much!

Posted Fri 18 Jul 14 @ 1:50 pm
Whoops! Meant m4a format not mp4!

Posted Fri 18 Jul 14 @ 1:51 pm
Is there a way to change the gain value from the start and the end of the gain knob? Like the pitch range from -50% to + 50% or -20% to +20%.

Posted Tue 22 Jul 14 @ 8:19 pm
PachNPRO InfinityMember since 2009
According to the list of actions the gain is -30db to +7.5db.
Why would you want to change that?

Posted Wed 23 Jul 14 @ 3:13 am
I want to reduce or boost the gain range because in VDJ8 the gain is higher than the gain in VDJ7.

Posted Wed 23 Jul 14 @ 10:06 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)