Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Topic: Video Freeze on load

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

First of all I have to say that I have always had a millisecond screen freeze on loading videos ever since installing VDJ8 and all the updates. It was a bit scary at first til I got used to it.

I use a 15" MBP i7 2.66Mhz bootcamped with Windows 7. External 2Tb USB Western Digital hard drive, all music and videos are stored on the external. VirtualDJ 8 version 1878.719

Had a nightmare of a day yesterday. In the morning I was using Automix to check some new videos. While it was playing out of the left deck, I tried to load a video to the right deck and VDJ8 crashed completely. Later, I was playing a video in one deck and when trying to load another video to the opposite deck I had the usual screen freeze except this time the whole screen froze and had to shut down the computer, couldn't get out of it any other way.

At last night's gig a few minutes after starting I was playing a video and when I tried loading the next video the freeze I often see was longer than usual, the song playing continued but the whole interface was frozen. The only way out was a hard reset. I reloaded VDJ8 to try and run with it again. After half an hour, same thing happened again. Up til then every video I loaded had a pause of a few milliseconds but the music continued. I became very nervous and quickly losing confidence in VDJ8, every video loaded was having this millisecond pause. I tried once more with VDJ8 and after 2 hours into my gig it all happened again. At this point I'd had enough and decided to ditch VDJ8. I switch to VDJ7 for the next 2 hours which worked fine, loading videos was a smooth as silk.

Have been testing at home without my MC6000 connected, no external screens, just the laptop. I removed any plugins and found exactly the same behaviour. Always a pause on loading the next video, but, at home VDJ8 crashed twice while connected to the internet so the devs should have the crash report.

I have checked Windows 7 with Malwarebytes, nothing to report, Windows Firewall is active with nothing to report. I've reinstall Directx9 still no change.

Tested VirtualDJ 7.4.1 several times and don't have this loading problem, each time I load a video there's no pause, everything loads smoothly.

Any clues anybody?

Just been playing about. Video playing in the left deck, double clicking on videos in the browser window to load in the right deck. Getting the millisecond pause every time, then, after between 5 and 10 loads VDJ8 crashed and restarted. Tried this 3 times with the same result, a few more reports for the devs to look at. I am wondering is this a memory leak or something along those lines?

It's gonna have to be VDJ7 for tonights rock gig.

Almost answering my own post here lol.

I have just tried restoring to factory defaults in the config section, then, made all the alterations to the settings as I had before. Strangely I am rarely getting the freeze on load now, it still happens occasionally, but, not every time now. It's a strange one.

Posted Sat 12 Jul 14 @ 2:31 pm
Any fix for the freeze on load yet??

Posted Mon 18 Aug 14 @ 6:58 pm
I've sometimes seen this issue with "avi" videos that I have recently created (replaced audio) so it could be a compatibility issue with a certain type of video codec with vdj8. The vdj7 interface works OK with the same files (created using Ableton Live). I thought that it was my ancient laptop that could also be a factor but since you say that you have an i7 computer then it can't be the power of my laptop that's causing these glitches. My vdj8 will only glitch to the point of choppy video (or no video) and the audio continues but I have not had to reboot or restart the program as yet. All of my edited videos are run through AutoGK to "downsize" the file, and as many of my videos have been processed through AutoGK I can see no reason for the vdj8 software needing to glitch. I have no such issues with mp4 files purchased at sites like xtendamix or promo-only. Are you trying to play raw "vob" files as I never had much success with vob files in vdj7 and always convert them first. I tried to use an external usb2.0 caddy for videos but had too many issues with vdj7. Are you using usb3.0???

beatbreaker1 wrote :
Any fix for the freeze on load yet??

Posted Tue 19 Aug 14 @ 12:08 am
I'm using an Asus with an i7 and a Nivida 645m with 2 gigs of ram. I have all my videos on an external 1tb drive plugged into a usb 3 port.

I do have a mix of AVI & MP4 files so I'll check that out tonight.

Posted Tue 19 Aug 14 @ 10:08 am
DJ FusiPRO InfinityMember since 2005
I had this video freeze like you have, but found out that if you have the "milkdrop8" plugin ON as "videoAudioOnlyVisulation" (You find it in Option / Video) was to blame. Now I turn Milkdrop8 on manually when I'm playin' Audio files.

Posted Wed 20 Aug 14 @ 6:40 pm
I don't have a problem with my Windows 8. Did you check your set up. It should be like these:

1) Controller connect to Laptop
2) Your external hard drive should have powered (have power supply)
3) Your external connect to USB powered (have power supply)

Let me know if its the same or it works

Posted Thu 21 Aug 14 @ 9:21 pm
DJ Fusi wrote :
I had this video freeze like you have, but found out that if you have the "milkdrop8" plugin ON as "videoAudioOnlyVisulation" (You find it in Option / Video) was to blame. Now I turn Milkdrop8 on manually when I'm playin' Audio files.

This seems to have fixed my issue with the freeze.

Still have to check the AVI vs MP4.

Thanks for the info!!

Posted Fri 22 Aug 14 @ 12:15 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)