Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Topic: Smart Play

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

When ever I enable smart play it snaps to the next beat instead of the nearest beat like in VDJ7. The play_sync actions behaves the same way.

I see this added in Build 1870 but I'm not sure if it's suppose to address this since it didn't seem to change anything.

-Synchronized play/cue now snaps to nearest beat instead of always going before the requested position

Posted Tue 08 Jul 14 @ 3:59 pm
PachNPRO InfinityMember since 2009
Are you on MAC or PC?

Posted Wed 09 Jul 14 @ 4:08 am
Haui70PRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2008
This is already reported to the team and glad someone else does it report too.
It does indeed act actual a little bit different then on V7 side.

Would be awesome when you could share with us a video with your point of view. (V7 vs. V8)

PS:The actual build is going into the right direction and is much better then the ones before. ;-)

Posted Wed 09 Jul 14 @ 6:22 am
vdbocPRO (legacy)Member since 2013
Yes, you are correct, Sonido. This has not been fixed. Build 1872 of Version 8 is still unusable for beatmatching with sync commands, in exactly the same way it was unusable in the previous builds.

For the past few weeks, I have been corresponding with Atomix through a support ticket. I even sent them a video clearly illustrating how version 8 is broken and how it functions differently from version 7. Amazingly, their latest statement to me is that nothing is wrong with version 8, and it works fine!

All I can suggest, Sonido, is that you create screenshots or a video to drill the point home with them that Version 7 worked flawlessly and Version 8 has been ruined for beatmatching with sync commands. I just wanted to add my support to you and say, yes, you are correct... no matter what Atomix says.

Posted Wed 09 Jul 14 @ 3:21 pm
PachN wrote :
Are you on MAC or PC?

PC, Windows 8

Posted Thu 10 Jul 14 @ 2:41 pm
Haui70 wrote :
This is already reported to the team and glad someone else does it report too.
It does indeed act actual a little bit different then on V7 side.

I was surprised that this hadn't been mentions much around here. I hope it gets addressed soon. Glad it has been reported.

Posted Thu 10 Jul 14 @ 2:46 pm
vdboc wrote :
Yes, you are correct, Sonido. This has not been fixed. Build 1872 of Version 8 is still unusable for beatmatching with sync commands, in exactly the same way it was unusable in the previous builds.

For the past few weeks, I have been corresponding with Atomix through a support ticket. I even sent them a video clearly illustrating how version 8 is broken and how it functions differently from version 7. Amazingly, their latest statement to me is that nothing is wrong with version 8, and it works fine!

All I can suggest, Sonido, is that you create screenshots or a video to drill the point home with them that Version 7 worked flawlessly and Version 8 has been ruined for beatmatching with sync commands. I just wanted to add my support to you and say, yes, you are correct... no matter what Atomix says.

I just keep smart play and similar features off in 8. They are really not practical to use with their current implementation. Worked great in 7.

Posted Thu 10 Jul 14 @ 2:56 pm
wynchesPRO InfinityMember since 2010
"Amazingly, their latest statement to me is that nothing is wrong with version 8, and it works fine!"

Which to me means they are not even working on it.

BeatMatching, Smart and Automix are simply not working well on V8. For that very reason I'm still using V7. I have suggested in a prior post elsewhere that they incorporate the "BeatMatching, Smart and Automix" engines from V7 into V8.

Yes most of us do manual beat matching using CBG and Waveforms. However there are numerous circumstances where "Automix and Smart" have to be engaged.

Please Atomix we know there is a lot on your plate at the moment but smooth mixes is essential so addressing this problem should be high up on your 'To DO' List.

Posted Thu 10 Jul 14 @ 4:56 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
If the CBG is right then everything else will be right and I guarantee you every dj software will appear to get the CBG wrong once in a while due to syncopation bias.

Posted Thu 10 Jul 14 @ 7:45 pm
Only we never had this issue on V7

Posted Thu 10 Jul 14 @ 8:14 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
On the contrary if the CBG was out the mix was no good, sort your CBGs out and V8 will be fine.

Here's a test, download 2 tracks from soundcloud right now start up V7 put one on each deck see what happens if you rely on a unadjusted CBG

Posted Thu 10 Jul 14 @ 8:49 pm
locodog, this problem has absolutely nothing to do with the CGB. With the beats of both tracks adjusted to align correctly in the CGB (downbeats and measures), the problem exists regardless. The problem is that sync no longer aligns with the INTENDED beat... it now aligns with the NEXT beat, instead of the NEAREST beat. This renders version 8 unusable with sync commands.

Don't take my word for this. Test it yourself. Just try to beatmatch any two songs, whose beats are aligned perfectly in their CGBs. First hit the sync command a tiny fraction of a second early of the intended beat, and then hit the sync command a tiny fraction of a second late of the intended beat. You will see for yourself the exact nature of this problem. Then, if you want, perform the identical test using version 7, hitting the command slightly early and again slightly late. You will see that version 7 works flawlessly 100% of the time, always.

Posted Thu 10 Jul 14 @ 9:44 pm
locodog wrote :
If the CBG is right then everything else will be right and I guarantee you every dj software will appear to get the CBG wrong once in a while due to syncopation bias.

My issue has nothing to do with the CBG. That works just fine. The problem is that it snaps to the next beat instead of the nearest beat. You pretty much have to press the button a half beat early for it to snap correctly.

Posted Thu 10 Jul 14 @ 9:59 pm
This has been fix in Build 1890. Works excellent.

Thank You

Posted Mon 14 Jul 14 @ 2:39 pm
Thanks from here as well

Posted Mon 14 Jul 14 @ 2:51 pm
To confirm... this problem is fixed in build 1890.711. The program now works as it should, as it did in previous versions. At last, beatmatching with sync commands is possible with version 8!

Thank you.

Posted Mon 14 Jul 14 @ 3:47 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)