Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Topic: Cloning External Drive Music Library No Longer Works!!!

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

dydy1PRO InfinityMember since 2006
I used to just clone my external drive as a back up. Nowadays, after the cloning process is done the clone drive when opened with V8 Mac version does not work anymore like it used to work in V7!!

Posted Tue 08 Jul 14 @ 1:44 pm
PachNPRO InfinityMember since 2009
Did you copy the "VirtualDJ" folder located in the root of your external too?
Does the backup external get the same driver letter as your other hdd?

Did you even let VDJ8 convert your v7 database?

Posted Tue 08 Jul 14 @ 1:59 pm
I am using a Mac. I cloned the entire external drive like I used to do In the past with V7. I never had to do anything else and VirtualDJ used to recognize and play well with the clone drive.

Posted Tue 08 Jul 14 @ 2:02 pm
Ok, MAC, then the drive letter suggestion does not apply to you.

But still, did V8 convert your v7 db?
Because v8 is using a new/ other file as database, named database.xml, which should be located on your external in the folder "VirtualDJ"

Posted Tue 08 Jul 14 @ 2:06 pm
This is not 7, so do not expect the same results. Win 7, does not work the same as XP. Can you answer PachN's questions?

Posted Tue 08 Jul 14 @ 2:07 pm
I did answer his questions in general. I am going to be a bit more specific here now. When I clone the external drive yes the VirtualDJ" folder located in the root of the external drive is also copied.

It becomes now a tedious process to after each cloning of the external drive. One has to manually go into the external cloned drive and delete the VirtualDJ8 folder and to totally erase it from the internal drive. You now need to turn off V8 and then reopen V8 in order for V8 to recognize the new cloned drive! Very tedious and awkward!

Oh, once you reopen V8 it automatically recreates the VirtualDJ folder for you in the external drive. Every times you back up your drive, you have to start the whole tedious process once again!

Posted Wed 09 Jul 14 @ 12:15 am
Why are you deleting the VirtualDJ folder?

It contains your database! I don't think you want to delete you database...

Posted Wed 09 Jul 14 @ 3:43 am
PachN wrote :
Why are you deleting the VirtualDJ folder?

It contains your database! I don't think you want to delete you database...

If you do not delete this VirtualDJ database folder after you finished cloning the drive, the new cloning drive will not work with V8. Once again as I have said above once you reopen V8. It will automatically recreate a new V8 database folder in the clone drive. After this whole minutiae. To be noted, this whole procedures are with using a Mac.

Posted Wed 09 Jul 14 @ 12:17 pm
You say you're cloning the drive. From where?

Have you got two external drives, connected to the same machine?

Posted Wed 09 Jul 14 @ 12:41 pm
groovindj wrote :
You say you're cloning the drive. From where?

Have you got two external drives, connected to the same machine?

Exact, I have a main external drive with my whole music library for V8, I use a second drive to clone the original external drive as a back up. I actually have two backups that way.

Over the years, this has been my best way of covering my backside.

Posted Wed 09 Jul 14 @ 12:47 pm
In that case then, I would expect the database file to be different for each drive - as your computer (and VDJ) needs to know which one is which.

If you cloned A to B then disconnected A, leaving only B, I reckon it would work.

Posted Wed 09 Jul 14 @ 12:51 pm
groovindj wrote :
In that case then, I would expect the database file to be different for each drive - as your computer (and VDJ) needs to know which one is which.

If you cloned A to B then disconnected A, leaving only B, I reckon it would work.

Negative, that does not work I' m afraid!

Posted Wed 09 Jul 14 @ 1:57 pm
Don't know what your are doing wrong.

I too have two 2tb externals. And I copy from one to the other my whole files and the VirtualDJ folder.

It doesn't matter which one I connect to the PC, VDJ always recognizes my database, virtual folders etc...

Maybe it's a MAC issue. Could you compare your two database files (the one on hdd A with the one on backup hdd) and check if the file path are the same?

Posted Wed 09 Jul 14 @ 2:07 pm
How do you check file path on external drive in a Mac?

Posted Wed 09 Jul 14 @ 5:16 pm
Look in the XML file that VDJ puts on the drive.

Posted Wed 09 Jul 14 @ 5:20 pm
Just open the files with a texteditor and compare the lines that look like this:

<song filepath="here/is/the/path/to/your/musicfile" .... />

The should be the same on both drives.

Posted Thu 10 Jul 14 @ 8:35 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)