Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Topic: Play list doesn't shuffle in real time.

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

The playlist doesn't shuffle in real time so that you will see which order the tracks are lined up to play, Instead the highlighter bounces up and down the playlist and you don't know which song is coming up next. This is especially helpful when you're in automix so that you can see which tracks are lined up to play, this worked exceptionally well in VDJ-7.

Posted Tue 08 Jul 14 @ 11:06 am
That's the idea of being random - you don't know what'll be next!

If you know what's next, then it's not random. :-)

Posted Tue 08 Jul 14 @ 11:47 am
The option is shuffle, not random and yes the ability to know what is coming next should ALWAYS be there for a DJ

Posted Tue 08 Jul 14 @ 12:21 pm
Partyman wrote :
shuffle, not random

Since when was shuffling not random?

When someone shuffles a deck of cards, the general idea is that no one knows the order of the cards. :-)

As far as the playlist is concerned, if you need to know what's next - rearrange them yourself!

Posted Tue 08 Jul 14 @ 12:31 pm
I'm at a loss here. Why are you using the shuffle option, if you want to know, what's coming next? There are many ways to arrange your auto play list, the way you want them. You even have the ability to move tracks around, on the fly. To me, shuffle means, I don't care which order they play in.

Posted Tue 08 Jul 14 @ 1:41 pm
Right shuffling and random are two different things, but sometimes I do unattended sets and I have special crates for that so I can load a crate to the playlist quickly and shuffle them and I also need the option to see which order they will play so I can monitor which song will beat match with another song. this is a strong reason why I stuck with VDJ-7 opposed to switching to another dj software developer. As I said it works well with VDJ-7 but I want to migrate over to VDJ-8 if they will fix the issue with "shuffling"

Posted Tue 08 Jul 14 @ 4:10 pm
I like to shuffle my background music so they don't sound so repetitive. My point of view is it should visually show you the shuffle. It did before. We should always know what's coming up next no mater what the case might be. Hope this gets addressed.

Posted Tue 08 Jul 14 @ 4:30 pm
It is very simple, sometimes I need to arrange a playlist of background music for bar daytimes. When building lists I may use 10 songs from a given artist and lists may have 500 songs as to eliminate repetition as best as possible. When building the list I am not selecting the list order just selecting songs because we can always shuffle to change order. If I look at the shuffle and still see back to back artists then I shuffle again. Also when a customer requests a certain song the barkeep can easily insert song into automix and know exactly when it will play (you can't do that now).
PLEASE remember that we all have different needs from our softwares and yours may not be the same as mine. I have used VDJ pro for many years and have become accustomed to its way of operation. I believe that ANYTHING added to VDJ8 that is different from VDJ7 should be optional or at least have changes explained. I also believe that we should not have lost ANY of VDJs previous stability or functionality in the change but apparently the developers thought differently than I.

Posted Tue 08 Jul 14 @ 4:33 pm
Well i'm happy to see that i'm not the only one that see's this is an issue and i'm sure that it maybe a simple fix for the VDJ-8 developers to fix. vdj-7 is an awesome program and i'm sure vdj-8 will also become an awesome once all the kinks are worked out but. Change is always good but you have to keep something's the same in order to keep your loyal customers. And thanks guys for your support!!!!

Posted Tue 08 Jul 14 @ 5:38 pm
ejl707PRO InfinityMember since 2014
Yes, please bring back the VDJ7 method of shuffling. It would also be great to have the ability to shuffle tracks listed in the sidelist. When dealing with a library of tracks in the tens of thousands, shuffling comes in very handy.

Posted Tue 08 Jul 14 @ 8:05 pm
I agree, I would often drag a folder of music across and don't want it playing in alphabetical order, so I would shuffle to randomise and then fine tune the order. This worked in vdj7, but vdj8 did not show me what it was going to play, I could not use it.

As a software developer, I suggest that you never change existing functionality without providing the option to restore the previous behaviour.

Posted Sun 20 Jul 14 @ 8:11 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)