Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Topic: Key not detected

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hi guys!

I'm facing a weird situation after (test) upgrade to v8 on a backup PC. All the song information (all mp3's) from v7 was successfully imported, but v8 still re-analyses every song on load. This of course wouldn't be a problem on it's own, assuming the new algorithm for Key and BPM detection is more accurate (even though it gets a little bit frustrating, as it also re-analyses the songs I already set corrected grids on v7, setting downbeats wrong or even completely missing the BPM).

But the strange thing is, on some songs, key isn't detected at all, and v8 just writes empty value over what v7 already analysed. What's extra weird, I also can't seem to write the key value manually, retyping it over from v7. So I'm left with a very crippled song DB, as I rely heavily on keys for harmonic mixing, so many of smart folders are getting info from key and songs don't show up in those smart folders anymore.

After the latest update (build 1872.700), some of the songs now get proper key values after re-analysing them, but on others key still doesn't get detected. I can provide a sample if needed (see image bellow, this is a small part of the songs that, lost key values on upgrade to v8, with two that got corrected with latest build - the highlighted one on the other hand still analysed without key value).

Is there anything I can do with settings or is it a bug? I did click through (advanced) setting though, but couldn't find anything relevant to this matter.

Any info/input is much appreciated :)

Posted Mon 07 Jul 14 @ 11:41 am
Which key detection setting are you using? There had been reports earlier about 'electronic' not working as well as 'broad range'.

Posted Mon 07 Jul 14 @ 11:49 am
Thx, this seems to do the trick, even though I must admit I did try to switch between the two before (but not after the latest built update). What's even better, all the missing key values came back instantly after switching (switching back to electronic, they disappear again).

So I guess it's 'broad range' for now. But an option to keep (and not automatically re-analyse on load) keys/bpm/grid info would still be a real blessing, and it seems to be one of the more requested features on this forum also.

But for now, thanks again :)

Posted Mon 07 Jul 14 @ 12:09 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)