Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Topic: File structure differences mapping a controller in VDJ7 vs VDJ8

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

So the first time I plugged in my DDJ-SX, it worked right away. I have a custom map for VDJ7 so after playing with it for a while, I realized I could select this custom map from the drop down box in Settings>Controller> Mapping... Sweet! everything worked flawlessly for 30 minutes, then stopped responding. So I shut it down and called it a night. Next day, restarted everything, no response from DDJ. Go into mapping section, cannot see the custom mapper in dropdown box (file exists in Mappers folder), and all fields under DDJ-SX are blank.

What is needed to begin editing a map in VDJ8 or, what files need to exist so that I can begin tweaking them. In the mappers folder, The DDj is showing up as Simple_MIDI but in config as DDJ-SX. Does the controllers.dat file in Devices folder need to be modified? I guess I'm looking to know what files I need to put where first so I have a starting point. Is a fresh un/install of V8 recommended? All firmware is up to date, Win7, latest beta build.

Posted Thu 03 Jul 14 @ 8:30 am

Posted Sat 05 Jul 14 @ 6:38 am
SOLVED
Thanks or the reply. I have a custom map that (still) works with V7, so I was attempting to get that one working in V8. After going through http://www.virtualdj.com/wiki/Installing%20custom%20mappings.html I decided that the correct files were there, so something else must be wrong.
I stumbled upon a setting called disableBuiltinDefinitions, which is described as "Set to true if you don't want Virtual DJ to use it's built-in controller list to recognize MIDI or HID devices". Since I was looking to just get anything to respond, I set it to "no" and lo and behold I was able to select my custom map from the dropdown box (counterintuitive, I know). Additionally, I got my Korg NanoKontrol 2 working as well without too much modification, here's what I did:

So first off, because we are unsure of VDJ8 just yet (not really but just in case and because we can :)), I want to be able to switch back to VDJ7 at the drop of a hat. So rather than modify my existing mapping files, I made copies in the same folder, and changed their names to what they were being detected as in V8.
NanoKontrol2:
V7: Generic MIDI mapping.xml
V8: SIMPLE_MIDI_0_0.xml

open the SIMPLE MIDI xml and make note of the <mapper device=""> name in quotes. After I made a copy of Generic MIDI Mapping.xml, I renamed it to SIMPLE_MIDI_0_0 - custom mapping.xml and edited the device name within the file. There are some differences in the mapping itself, for example V7 values looked like this : <map value="0-38" action="deck 2 select" /> while V8 adds the word 'button' in front of the number, like this; <map value="0-BUTTON38" action="deck 2 select" /> I had some Change Control (CC) notes assigned as well and manually changed them in the xml file replacing the CC with the word SLIDER. Example: V7 <map value="0-CC21" action="deck 1 key_smooth" /> becomes <map value="0-SLIDER21" action="deck 1 key_smooth" /> in version 8.

Little bit of playing around, as some names of things like ' page "browser" ' are no longer applicable in V8

Also just discovered a huge thing for me. Since I'm on DDj-SX and I tried Serato out when I first got it, I fell in love with the filter on the unit. Plugged it in to VDJ7 and bleecchhhh, gross, it sounded so bad. The DDj's analog filter sounds even better than the Serato Izotope version, so I went out and bought a Native Instruments Audio DJ8 sound card "JUST" so I had access to the sweet sound (high resonant frequency?) in VDJ 7.

So along comes VDJ 8 and I'm thinking, hopefully it will be better and did a gig without the external soundcard just to try everything. Hit the filter... bleeechhh, gross, terrible. Stumbled across this setting today: filterDefaultResonance should be set to "strong" right out of the box rather than default or subtle. Made all the difference in the world, I may sell that Audio DJ 8, and certainly my setup will be faster and simpler now!

Posted Mon 07 Jul 14 @ 7:53 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)