Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Topic: Beat Tap - Page: 2

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

FLeX69PRO InfinityMember since 2006
locodog wrote :
Not really Flex, not from just one button, it can be done but it would actually cause more problems to be called a solution.
However with one button and a shift, you could have something like

Shift ? set_firstbeat : beat_tap

So with shift pressed it will set the first beat, without shift pressed it works as beat_tap.

Thank you locodog: I have the ddjsx and I setup the shift on the cbg glide button. It works great. Thanks again.

Posted Tue 25 Nov 14 @ 5:27 am
Not sure if this will help anyone but the ONLY way that beat tap worked for me was if I deleted the previous BPM that was registered in the tag and then re-BPM'd using VDJ.

Once I did that, I could tap BPM's.

Posted Tue 25 Nov 14 @ 7:35 am
DHoudePRO InfinityMember since 2009
djtouchdan wrote :
You can tap the beat out by tapping four beats. The first tap will be set as the downbeat. AND THE BPM uodated based on you taps.

That last part is why requiring us to click Tap 4 times, just to set the downbeat during playback is wrong. There is no way I am more accurate at tapping out a beat than MIK is or VDJ. Rarely, software gets it wrong. BUT setting the down beat mark is wrong quite often. I don't want to update the BPM, I just would like to set the downbeat on the fly (without pausing).

Posted Mon 15 Dec 14 @ 6:06 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
If you tap 4 times, the downbeat is set, but since indeed you wouldn't be able to click that accurate, after 4 taps it is more like a bpm selection out of a few values (the current bpm, alternative bpm, half bpm, double bpm)
So if you click just 4 times it will not screw up the bpm as long as you somewhat click on the rhythm.
Only after 8 clicks or more it will start to use the actual clicks directly to change the bpm, but for 99% of the time you shouldn't need this.

Posted Mon 15 Dec 14 @ 10:48 pm
Guess I will have to try it then. Seemed like less work and less to possibly go wrong the old way though. 1 click vs 4...

Posted Tue 16 Dec 14 @ 5:18 am
DHoude wrote :
Guess I will have to try it then. Seemed like less work and less to possibly go wrong the old way though. 1 click vs 4...

Agreed but they just don't get it and they won't post any type of video to prove us wrong. The new beat tap system sucks, period!

Posted Tue 16 Dec 14 @ 6:09 am
Let me know if you have an example song where it doesn't work.

Posted Tue 16 Dec 14 @ 6:30 am
Any track will do.

I can tap the bpm but as far as setting the down beat, never has it worked while the track is playing.

Before in another thread you said start tapping where I want the downbeat placed and after a few taps it'll move, well it moves but never moves where it's supposed to.

The only way to set it properly is to STOP the track and then tap the button once.

I would just like to see someone from the team showing me exactly how it works......

Posted Tue 16 Dec 14 @ 10:27 am
beatbreaker1 wrote :
Before in another thread you said start tapping where I want the downbeat placed and after a few taps it'll move, well it moves but never moves where it's supposed to.

After my tests, I feel the same way. It gets close, but close only counts in a game of Horse Shoes or Hand Grenades. It was so easy and exact before, i am not sure why that is so hard to see.

I am a reasonable guy and can understand some technical talk here. I would like to request, not a video. But a reason why the new way of tapping out 4 beats is so much better to Atomix as opposed to the old way "click once" and done. Please help me understand your view point.

Posted Tue 16 Dec 14 @ 7:31 pm
Keep in mind the main issue in question here is setting the position of the Down beat on the CBG. Which I find is wrong way more than 1% of the time.

Posted Tue 16 Dec 14 @ 8:41 pm
You are talking about only the downbeat being wrong or the phase entirely?

Posted Tue 16 Dec 14 @ 10:45 pm
I'm pretty sure we're talking about the downbeat.

Here's another reason why the old way was better for me.

Sometimes I'll download new music before I get to the club and analyze it right before I play. Well I use a lot of drum samples and such, with the old I could just hit the tap beat and reset the grid on the fly so my samples were always in sync.

I wouldn't even think of trying to do this the way things are now. And yes I know it's pretty dumb to just play newly downloaded tracks but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do, as a DJ yourself (I'm sure you are) you gotta understand that.

The old system was fool proof and just worked. Can I atleast have the option or maybe y'all could start a poll and see which method YOUR customers would rather have??

Either way thanks for the time and hopefully we can get this tap sorted out. And I see in the newest beta so fixes have been made so that shows me you guys know it doesn't work right 👍

Posted Tue 16 Dec 14 @ 10:50 pm
Try the new beat 2090 and let me know if you still have a song that you can't correct.
I can't find any song that I can't correct with just 4 taps now.

Edit: To explain further the changes that have been made:
1. For the simple 4 beat tap, it now also checks if you tap exactly in-between the current grid, since for RnB/Hip Hop the automatic detection was off by half a beat in the beat-grid often.
With this change, I don't think there's many tracks that you need to tap more than 4 times with.
The advantage of the 4 beat tap method is that it will fix the grid and bpm most of the time, yet without loosing the accuracy that the automatic detection already gave.
The alternatives suggested like stopping the track and pressing tap to set the beat grid would require the position to be accurate to the millisecond, which is hard to achieve especially when doing it live.

2. For the completely manual tap (more than 8 beats usually), there was a bug where it was only setting the bpm but not the phase, if no tracks had gone through the automatic analyse before tapping.
So with this fix if you do need a completely manual tap including phase it should work pretty much the same as in v7.

Posted Tue 16 Dec 14 @ 10:52 pm
Thank you! I haven't tried it yet but your explanation was good. I'll download tomorrow and report back.

Again thanks for the time 👌

Posted Tue 16 Dec 14 @ 11:10 pm
Just wanted to bring this back up and in my opinion everything is good!!

Loaded a bunch of new tracks and tapped them out and within a few taps we were gold!!

Thank you 👌

Posted Fri 02 Jan 15 @ 10:57 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)