Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Topic: V8 crash

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

mcs1234PRO InfinityMember since 2010
Installed V8 on desktop to test... Simple sound setup, no controller, etc.
Load song on 1, plays; used to be muffled - that's been fixed.
Attempt to load song on 2, crashes. Complete screen freeze. Song 1 continues to play, but can't control anything.
Have to exit the program...
FYI...
PS: V8 looks cool. Can't wait to get into it..

Posted Mon 30 Jun 14 @ 8:33 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
If you try the same song again, does it still happen, or is it not specific to a song?

Posted Mon 30 Jun 14 @ 8:45 am
Any song... same one or another ... as soon as you drag it to the other deck... locks up. :-(
Weird too, because there is nothing odd about this particular test machine.
My desktop which is being used as a test environment. No controllers, no toys, just the V8 running on a desktop, single speakers, etc...

Posted Mon 07 Jul 14 @ 10:21 am
What system? PC? Mac? What OS? 32 bit/64 bit? Any third party effects loaded?

What version of 8 (exactly)?

What type of files are these songs you mention? Music/video/karaoke? Format? Bit rate?

Are they large files (e.g. hour long mixes etc.) or just normal 3 or 4 min length?

Where are they stored? Internal/external/network?

What if you load deck 2 first?

Posted Mon 07 Jul 14 @ 10:51 am
Good questions ... sorry I wasn't specific enough....

What system? PC? Mac? PC

What OS? 32 bit/64 bit? 64-bit

Any third party effects loaded? Nope.

What version of 8 (exactly)? Version 8.0.0 pc-build 1872.711

What type of files are these songs you mention? Music/video/karaoke? Format? Bit rate? Nothing but .mp3's. No karaoke. Bit rates generally 256 and 320.

Where are they stored? Internal/external/network? Internal C:\music

What if you load deck 2 first? Same behavior. 2 plays. Load 1 - complete freezeup. Have to exit program.

Another fun fact: when you start the first song playing, its waveform appears across the entire top-half of the VDJ screen.
???????

Posted Mon 07 Jul 14 @ 11:01 am
Ah, that reminds me! What skin?

Posted Mon 07 Jul 14 @ 11:04 am
Any (tried it). But I'm currently using VDJ condensed.

Posted Mon 07 Jul 14 @ 11:07 am
Well there's your first answer. Condensed doesn't play nice with VDJ 8.

I just tried it myself, and yes - the waveform is huge and covers the decks area. If you use a VDJ 8 skin, that shouldn't happen.

Posted Mon 07 Jul 14 @ 11:11 am
Well crap. Just tried the default V8 2-deck skin. Locks up when you load the FIRST song, to either deck. Song plays, but no controls work, and no wave form (anywhere - hahaha).

Posted Mon 07 Jul 14 @ 11:22 am
There must be something seriously screwy with your system then!

It's not VDJ otherwise there'd be thousands of people having the same issue. Even using Condensed, VDJ didn't lock up when I played two tracks.

XP / Windows 7 / Windows 8? Have you run any latency checkers or PC optimisers?

Posted Mon 07 Jul 14 @ 11:28 am
I know, right? Seems like basic functionality .... It is a test on the desktop, so I may try a flat-out reinstall. No optimizers running.
Weird... Gotta tinker with it..

Posted Mon 07 Jul 14 @ 12:12 pm
It's a good idea to run a latency checker and something like this to ensure that you don't have any PC issues.

Posted Mon 07 Jul 14 @ 12:42 pm
PachNPRO InfinityMember since 2009
That maybe sounds stupid, but have you tried to reinstall VDJ yet?

Posted Tue 08 Jul 14 @ 4:27 am
Not stupid at all ... I did the reinstall, same behavior. I did not run the Optimizer yet (suggested above). That's next.
This is so weird because I KNOW that simply loading and playing a couple of songs is SOOOO basic, that certainly no one else is experiencing this. But again, I'm testing 8 on a desktop machine used mostly for business stuff, so there's no controller or any other MIDI-type toys connected. I'm still gigging with my V7.4 and the new mk2 controller.
Allegedly, the mk2 is "friendlier" with V8 but I can't switch to it till I completely beat the crap out of it. :-)

Posted Tue 08 Jul 14 @ 8:47 am
Your desktop machine is unlikely to be optimised for DJ software performance. Even just playing MP3's in a DJ software is considerably more complex than just playing a song in Windows Media Player, iTunes, etc. because the audio must be manipulated and mixed in real time at the lowest latency supported by your system.

Your desktop PC may also have unnecessary software (Bloatware) running in background that's causing conflicts and performance issues. This is very common because most computers are built with typical home or business users in mind rather than low latency audio applications.

Please see the following guide to help you optimise your computer for DJ performance: http://www.virtualdj.com/wiki/Performance%20Issues.html

Posted Tue 08 Jul 14 @ 9:53 am
Maybe it's graphics card related (as the songs play but the GUI freezes).

What graphics card is it, and are you running the latest drivers? You could try going either up or down. Install newer ones or go back to the previous ones.

Also, are they manufacturer supplied or Windows default ones? Changing from one to t'other is another thing worth trying.

Posted Tue 08 Jul 14 @ 9:56 am
The desktop has a NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430, according to the devices section.
I have 3 'puters here: my desktop, a lappy used for music/video editing, and my gigging lappy. Since I know no one in the known world can be having the problem I'm having on the desktop, I'm going to wait for the opportunity to load V8 on the Editing Lappy, then worry only if that problem surfaces on it (and I don't think it will).
Thanks all for jumping in and trying to help; LOVE the VDJ community!

Posted Tue 08 Jul 14 @ 10:08 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)