Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Wishes and new features

Topic: Over coming mass renaming issues

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
If you rename a track outside VDJ it will be seen by the database as a new track, very annoying if you have some mass renaming to do, If VDJ assigned a track identifying number to one of the tracks ID3 tags, and kept a local database of these assignments, upon accessing this renamed track for the first time VDJ could say
'this track has been known previously as "whateverTrack.mp3" would you like to import the meta data and delete the previous entry?"
To make this work effectively a option to delete all old track assignment numbers and reassign in batch.

Posted Sat 28 Jun 14 @ 5:45 am
Or you could just do all your renaming in Virtual DJ as we have always recommended to do.

Posted Sat 28 Jun 14 @ 5:59 am
Well if VDJ had mass renaming options then fair enough, but it doesn't.
Rename 1 or 2 tracks inside VDJ ok easy enough but after 5 it becomes a chore, now imagine several hundred.
Your advice is "how it is" My idea is "How it could be"
Part of the idea of a database is to minimise simple repetitive tasks,
Also an Identifying number tag would also mean if you move folders externally to VDJ (purposely or accidentally) you would only be a few clicks away from problems being resolved.

Posted Sat 28 Jun 14 @ 7:23 am
You know there's a 'relocate missing file' right click menu option?

TBH I get what you're saying.........but if you're organised, then how likely is it that you'll need to rename several hundred files after you've already added them to the VDJ database? You should be doing all your file naming first, then adding them to the database.

You're almost saying "if the customer does something they're not supposed to, there should be a fix for it".

Mass renaming outside of VDJ isn't that much of an issue anyway IMO:
Once they're renamed, orphans can be deleted from the database. Adding the renamed files back is as easy as visiting the folder(s) they're in (if autoSearchDB is active).

Posted Sat 28 Jun 14 @ 8:20 am
Relocate missing file, a few hundred times, no thanks, I know it's a bit OCD (which seems rather rampant round here)
And yes if you're are organised sure life is good, but what is wrong with making things simpler, [big underline] wouldn't you rather be able to move tracks freely in windows? [big under line]

I use VDJ to preview tracks if I want to keep them, VDJ is what they will be played on so I need to know how they sound in VDJ
Most of the music I have is CC licenced so the naming conventions can be chaotic, here's an example
Sum - -HVZ010- Sum - I Hate This F***ing Place - 01 Suck Song
Artist, Cat number, Artist, Album, Track number, Title

So you're saying the best possible way (ever) would be have VDJ analyse the track, play the track, decide if I want to keep it, and either rename the track to my naming conventions individually or do them en mass outside VDJ and reanalyse the track?
Maybe the best way now, but not the best way

You're almost saying "if the customer does something they're not supposed to, there should be a fix for it".

Isn't that what the limiter does? Isn't that what reanalyse bpm does if you've screwed it up, so why not, VDJ is flexible in almost every other way why does database management have to be so regimented

And for your final point, the renamed tracks will have to be reanalysed, beatgrid realigned cue'd, computers are supposed to save work.

Posted Sat 28 Jun 14 @ 9:01 am
You'll need to edit out the swearing from that post, or a mod will be out to get you....

Posted Sat 28 Jun 14 @ 9:08 am
Good spot on the swearing, good job I didn't use a track from "david guetta is a ******* ****" album (supastar deej if you were wondering ::-) )

Another example would be sub genre(ing)
To begin with I had a folder called hardcore, and everything remotely hardcore went in to it, after a while it became chaotic so I made sub genre folders (speedcore frenchcore gabba etc) so Inside VDJ I had to drag each file folder individually to it's new home, if I could have done it in windows much pain would have been saved (Ctrl click several drag and drop)
I don't mind arguing the merits of an idea but "that's how it is" replies are akin to saying "why would you want to improve it?"

Posted Sat 28 Jun 14 @ 9:18 am
When you talk about folders, presumably you're referring to OS folders, not VDJs virtual or filter folders?

My usual reply to this is: Once you've got ID3 tags in your files, where you keep them is irrelevant.

It's not neccesary to organise files into named dirs outside of VDJ because the tags and the database allow you to find stuff in seconds regardless of where it's stored.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Sure, years ago I used to put my tracks into alphabetical folders, then subfolders for artists with high track counts.

Now I don't bother. I just create a new folder each year, and every new track I get that year goes into it. The tags and the VDJ database do all the work.

Once the file is in the folder, any data I may want to add/change etc. is done to the VDJ dadabase, not the file.

I discovered a track recently that was misnamed. Rather than change the name of the file, I just changed the database entry.

Posted Sat 28 Jun 14 @ 9:48 am
Good point, a change of practices is in order, I can't adopt your method but maybe something like it. I started using virtual folders a bit late, so O/S sorting is what I've got.

Posted Sat 28 Jun 14 @ 10:49 am
BTW there are various database tools available in the download area (for licensed users) which may offer better ways to deal with things outside of VDJ.

They were written for VDJ 7 but it's not a problem to re-import the data to 8 once the 7 DB is updated.

In time they'll possibly be updated for 8.....

Posted Sat 28 Jun 14 @ 12:06 pm
dcomoPRO InfinityMember since 2012
When I converted from CD to VDJ, I had a good idea on how VDJ worked, so I for the most part do all of my track name manipulation within VDJ 7, and then have it import into v8. (I always keep 7 up to date manually, and then delete the database files for V8 then relaunch and allow it to rebuild.)

However, there's a number of bugs within V7. An example of this would be if you had a folder full of songs by a single artist, then selected all of the tracks and chose 'File Info'. Within here, you assign the Artist name and apply it. The names are written to memory, however not to the XML. If you close VDJ and re-open, you will find only the first track has the proper artist name written, the rest are blank.

The alternative is to update each track, track by track... (Which I have done, SEVERAL hundred times over the last bit.)

Posted Thu 10 Jul 14 @ 11:32 am
You are using the 'apply to all' option rather than just using 'apply' or 'OK'?

As an additional titbit, I recall there being an issue raised in the past where it was only possible to mass change some tags (in VDJ 7) - not all.

Posted Thu 10 Jul 14 @ 12:37 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)