Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Topic: Pioneer DDJ-SR mic not being recorded

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I had hoped that switching from my VMS4.1 to the Pioneer DDJ-SR mic recording would be possible. However, even if I select DDJ-SR in the microphone on the audio setup section, the mic never gets to either audio or video recordings or in the broadcast feed. The mic is heard clearly on the master and boot outputs, but doesn't mix in to the music in either broadcast or record mode. Am I missing something or is this still not possible with VDJ8. Any suggestions or solutions short of streaming or recording through a separate device the output of the first device? Thanks.

Posted Wed 18 Jun 14 @ 4:52 pm
It was definitely possible to record the mic with the VMS4 - I know from first hand experience, and there's a thread on here somewhere.

The SR though probably hasn't got enough audio I/O to do that. Even the SX only has master/headphone channels.

What you have to bear in mind is that when using external audio interfaces, the sound has left VDJ, so if you plug a mic into that external kit then the mic signal has been introduced after the point at which VDJ records the signal. The exception is kit which has enough in/out channels to be able to route its output back to VDJ (record loopback).

Posted Wed 18 Jun 14 @ 5:17 pm
After at least 3 years researching the missing loopback in the broadcast server and the record sections of Virtual DJ - I gave up.. and used the VMS 4.1 Booth out into another computer to record my DJ voiceover sets in real time. At the VDJ8 preview in Miami, the VDJ8 staff indicated that they thought this issue had been fixed in VDJ8 ... which I have used both with VMS4.1 and DDJ-SR. Same issues with both even though VDJ8 Audio set shows a mic input configuration which when clicked populates the audio with a ch1 and 2 DJJ-SR line. VMS4.1 didn't show that option.

Years a go, I was told that the reason the mic didn't mix with the broadcast or the recorder was that VMS-4 was an external mixer so only the Digial Audio was being seen by the software. As you correctly reiterated.

Regardless.. looks like a lost-cause for both units. So, I will continue to do my recordings by outputting to the line in of another computer or recorder.
For Broadcast, I just record some drops and use them periodically to announce the broadcast.

Hey... VDJ8 is great! Also, the design is more user friendly and officers easier file management than Serato DJ. Right now, I'm using Serato while VDJ8 becomes stable.

Thanks for the quick response to the new post.

Posted Wed 18 Jun 14 @ 11:56 pm
I def had recording working with my VMS4 and VDJ 7.

It's not something I've tried with 8 but am now thinking I should investigate.

here's the thread I mentioned.

Posted Thu 19 Jun 14 @ 5:04 am
Thanks.. I don't know how I missed this thread..

I've been mostly on a mac.. so maybe that explains it. However... I did use a windows machine for a couple of years because of the various additions available for the VJ that wasn't ported into the Mac version.

My curiosity has has the best of of me.. However, I'm totally out of the windows business.

Thanks for sharing.

Posted Thu 19 Jun 14 @ 5:35 pm
think the ddj-sx has a "built in" record loopback.. will test on mine

Posted Thu 19 Jun 14 @ 7:00 pm
Thanks.. I'm using the DDJ-SR -- but I am in the return period. If it does, I might consider returning it and paying 400 more to get the SX. I went with the SR because of the smaller foot print.

BTW - In 1991, I participated in Battle Griffin' 91 as a Marine. I worked in Harstad in the Allied Press Info Center and hosted a nightly radio show of dance music on an FM frequency which was taken over at night by the government for the military exercise. You have one of the most beautiful countries in the world. Loved the Norwegian People. They treated we Marines like gold!

Posted Fri 20 Jun 14 @ 8:40 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)