Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Topic: Sudden loss of audio mid-gig

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

djsherzPRO InfinityMember since 2006
Well, I finally took the plunge last night and gigged with VDJ8 - as I was playing alongside another DJ, I figured this would be a good opportunity to test the water, given the safety net of another setup if something went horribly wrong! I was running with my VMS4.1 and playing videos, while he was running Traktor with a Novation Twitch controller. Firstly, I have to say that in terms of sound quality, VDJ have really nailed it with the new audio engine - it was VERY noticeable which of us was playing, given the clarity of the audio, it was head and shoulders away from the Traktor setup.

Unfortunately, I had a bit of trouble with the sound later in the night. I was playing videos at the time, and while I was cueing up the next video, I suddenly lost all audio. VDJ was still running, my VMS4.1 was still responding, but no audio. The other DJ quickly stuck a tune on while I unloaded both decks, stuck another video on, and hey presto, it was working again. A few minutes later, the same thing happened again. I closed VDJ, rebooted the VMS4.1, restarted VDJ, and it was a minute or two before I could do anything with it - tried to click on search bar, no cursor. I thought VDJ had frozen, so I ctrl+alt+del'd it and went to task manager. All of a sudden it came back to life, and it ran for the rest of the night. Granted, by then I was being cautious and was playing far fewer videos, and only had one slight wobble when the audio suddenly went quiet for a couple of seconds - not silence, more as if somebody had pulled the fader down halfway and waggled it up and down very quickly - odd I know.

So yeah, any other VMS4.1 users had a similar experience? Oh and before you ask, I have my latency set fairly high - when doing timecode I've had it set as low as 1 with no problems, but generally I leave it at around 15 for a bit of safety buffer.

Posted Sat 14 Jun 14 @ 6:43 am
Had the rig set up at home today, trying to get to the bottom of this. I've updated my graphics drivers and the ASIO driver for my controller. Sure enough, I've managed to replicate the problem I had the other night. I've tried turning off the ultra latency option in the config, but it made no difference. The problem does seem to be ASIO related though - when the audio dropped out, with the track still playing, I went into the sound config and swapped from ASIO to WASAPI mode, and hey presto, the sound was working. Switch back to ASIO - silence. Sometimes the sound comes back by itself after a while, sometimes I have to unload and reload the decks, and sometimes I have to close the whole program down. The CPU and soundcard meters in the top left corner of VDJ are reading very low, so it doesn't seem like I'm overstressing my laptop, which is a quad core i7, pretty decent specs. Any thoughts?

Posted Sun 15 Jun 14 @ 4:03 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
So, are you able to reproduce the issue with steps 1,2,3..etc , or is this something that may happen after random playing time ?
Sound is lost on both channels ? When you went to the AUDIO tab of COnfig to switch to Wasapi, did you notice if the ASIO drivers were still reporting available (on the right side where the details are offered) ?

Posted Sun 15 Jun 14 @ 4:30 pm
Seems to happen pretty randomly, but as far as I can recall, only when at least one video is loaded. Didn't see anything in the audio config to suggest that the ASIO was not working, although I just tried unplugging the controller while the config was open, and nothing changed then either. I wouldn't have thought it would be a bad USB cable, as all the buttons etc on the controller continued to respond.

Posted Sun 15 Jun 14 @ 4:46 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
when you unplug the controller, while ASIO is selected, does the sound stop ? At the same time, do the ASIO drivers report available ? meaning that ..if you click on the APPLY button, while the unit is disconnected, do you get any error message on the right side that the drivers are not available or failed to connect ect ?

what is your Operating system, and to what kind of USB port are u connecting the unit (USB 2.0 or USB 3.0) ? Are you using the AC power adaptor of the unit or just USB powered ?

Posted Sun 15 Jun 14 @ 4:54 pm
OK, I unplug the controller, obviously the sound stops, although it continues to run on the screen. In the config, I can still apply the settings in ASIO mode with no controller connected, it's not bringing up any kind of errors. OS wise, I'm running windows 8, and I'm running the VMS4.1 with it's AC adaptor. As far as I know the USB port I'm using is USB3 (it has a blue centre). I know there were issues in the past with VMS4s and USB3, but I've run with this port and VDJ7 for a year with no problems until now.

Posted Sun 15 Jun 14 @ 5:05 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)