Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Topic: Is this a bug or is this how it should work? (I'm ticked!)

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

TantrixPRO InfinityMember since 2013
Hello all...again. Over the past 3 or 4 days I have painstakingly started the very long task of making up virtual folders and have my music in virtual folders based on the decade...eg: 1970s, 1980s etc. I put the top 50 songs of each of the 10 years of each decade in each folder. As an example the top 50 songs of 70, 71, 72, 73 etc would all go into the 1970s folder.

Are you following me so far :)

What I have done is made the virtual folders in advance. So I am working on the 1970s folder for the past few days. This is because half of my music has no "year" on it. So I am using a definitive list online to see the top 50 of each year and I search my music collection for the song. Once I find it; I edit the tag and add the year of release; save it and drag it to the 1970s folder. In the end I would have the top 500 songs of that decade in that folder....still with me :)

Now here is where the issue comes in. When I open the virtual folder I right click on it and load it into the "sidelist". I do this so that I can use the main screen to do searches and such. When I find a song I then drag it to the "sidelist" (which is the 1970s virtual folder). Now; when I click on the actual 1970s folder I find that none of the new songs have shown up there...they only show in the sidelist. I did not realized this until I had done about 250 manual searches and added those songs to the sidelist (assuming it would also update the virtual folder).

My question.... if I load a virtual folder into the sidelist and I drag additional songs to that sidelist; should not the virtual folder automatically update as well? If not then how do you suggest I do this?

Keep in mind that less than half of my music has a year on it and 1/4 of those are wrong thus using a "filter" folder would be futile and very inaccurate.

Thanks for you help all!!

Posted Fri 13 Jun 14 @ 9:28 pm
I don't think it works like that, but what do I know. These are two different folders. You dragged what was in a virtual folder, to a side list. The virtual folder is still there, and has not changed. I guess you could now save the changes to the side list and add to the virtual folder. I see what you are trying to do, so when you find a new track, why not drag it to the virtual folder, instead?

Posted Fri 13 Jun 14 @ 10:20 pm
No...actually all I did was right click the virtual folder and chose load in sidelist.

I guess hindsight is 20/20. I now know not to do it that way :(

Posted Fri 13 Jun 14 @ 10:23 pm
As I said, I don't know jack, it just seemed that it would work that way. I have not tried virtual folders in 8, because I don't use them. I do know that when I tried in 7, if I wanted to add to it, I just had to drag a track to the folder. Actually it worked like that for any folder.

Posted Fri 13 Jun 14 @ 10:33 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
The right-click Load In Sidelist/Automix option copies the contents of the folder to the sidelist/automix list.
Therefore changes are not automatically saved to the original list.

If you drag a folder to the sideview, the actual folder gets opened there, and you can edit it there. (You will see that the header has the name of the folder instead of 'Sidelist' or 'Automix') Using the round button in the right corner, you can even create a shortcut to this folder so that you can easily access it in the sideview any time you like.

Posted Fri 13 Jun 14 @ 11:20 pm
Yep, what he said.

Posted Fri 13 Jun 14 @ 11:35 pm
Adion...that works perfect thank you so much!

Posted Fri 13 Jun 14 @ 11:46 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)