Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Topic: Damn...I knew I should have waited....

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

So I posted a couple of times in other threads that V8 has crashed me quite a bit when using a controller (S1), but when I switch to time code using DVS, not really too many issues. Well, Sat night I decided to just give a shot and try using V8 at the club.

Started around 9:30 (all videos by the way) and everything was going good until about 10:45ish when the software locked up and froze on me. The only thing that was going on at the time was I had a video playing on deck 1, and I was using the scroll wheel on my controller to go down a list of videos to find the next one to load onto deck 2. The music kept playing, but the video was frozen, the controller was frozen, and the laptop was frozen.

I'm using a pretty high end laptop too (win 8, 8 gigs of ram, I7 processor, 1 tb hard drive, all drivers updated, etc...). Luckily, it froze up just as they were starting to let people in the club, so I was able to switch over to the house system, do a control-alt-delete and shut down V8, and restart in 7.4 quickly before anyone other than the bartenders, noticed.

Also, I noticed something interesting about the limiter. It flashes a lot and comes on full time when I use a sample (name drop, laser sound, etc). Now here's the thing....I have to leave my channel faders all the way up since I do videos. If I bring them down some, then the videos fade to black (which is what I want). So I kept my master volume turned down and I was only at the top of the orange (no red). I had my S1 plugged into the house mixer (Pioneer DJM800), where the fader channel was turn up and the master was turned up to match what was on my S1. So even if you have your master turned down on your controller, the limiter will still kick on because it appears that V8 can sense the signal whether you're plugged into another mixer, or going direct to speakers or amps.

If I never touched the master volume on my controller, and just turned up the master on the house mixer, the limiter kicks on full time instead of blinking. Not a fan of it, and I can honestly say that I truly hope that one day, the VDJ team decides to make it an option where you can turn it on or off like how it is in V7.

Posted Mon 09 Jun 14 @ 11:51 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)