Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Topic: VDJ8 for Mac (More detailed bug reports) - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

I was told to create a new topic with a more detailed bug report of the problems through the support chat. So here are the issues I'm getting.

System Specs:

MacBook Pro (Retina) Late 2013
Mac OS X 10.9.3 (FULLY UPDATED)
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4850HQ CPU @ 2.30Ghz 2.29Ghz
16GB 1600Mhz DDR3 RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB
APPLE 512GB SSD (SM0512F)
USB HUB (The issues still exist with or without the hub)
M-Audio Keystation 49e
iON Discover DJ (Not Pro)
TP-LINK TL-WR1043ND Router V1 (With latest Firmware: 3.13.15 Build 140319 Rel.41339n)

BUG 1: When streaming with PC-TO-PC Virtual DJ 7 and 8 will crash when a client connects.

HOW TO REPRODUCE (VIRTUAL DJ 8): Open the Virtual DJ 8 application, Load a song and play it, go into settings, select the "BROADCAST" tab, click the "PC-TO-PC DIRECT" button, then click "Start broadcasting" button. Next.. allow somebody to connect to you with the broadcasting URL within that options menu. The listener that tunes in will first see the player on the webpage stuck at "Loading.." but in VDJ it will show as if the client is connected. Then the listener will try to refresh or click on the link again with the same "Loading.." inside the player, but after that Virtual DJ 8 will crash and close out without any Apple bug report tool.

HOW TO REPRODUCE (VIRTUAL DJ 7): Open the Virtual DJ 7 application, load a song and play it, click the "RECORD" tab, select "BROADCAST", click the "config.." button, click the checkbox "Broadcast from my own computer" and click "Ok", Next.. click "START RECORDING" and give the listener the link to your broadcast. When the listener opens up that link and connects Virtual DJ 7 will crash immediately.

THINGS I'VE TRIED TO TROUBLESHOOT: Opened the ports to my router, reformatted my Mac to factory reset and had only a fresh install of VDJ7/8 installed. (Not both versions installed at the same time.), checked my Mac's firewall settings, checked my router's firewall settings, and cleared the PRAM using CMD+OPTION+R+P.

BUG 2: Virtual DJ 8 will crash/slow down the Mac while the application is running.

REPRODUCE 1: Open Virtual DJ 8, take the focus off the application (for example: load up another application like safari, iMessage, or click the desktop.) Let it sit for 5-10 minutes and VDJ will slow down or crash.

REPRODUCE 2: Open safari or another application in full screen. Make sure you leave that application focused in fullscreen and within 5-10 minutes your system will slow down.

THINGS I'VE TRIED TO TROUBLESHOOT: Completely remove VDJ8 with the settings and reinstalled it as a fresh install (Ran it without any settings I previously had, Just a stock install.), Reinstalled the OS and only had VDJ8 installed.

BUG 3: Virtual DJ 8 locks up your Mac when closing.

REPRODUCE: Do the same thing as "BUG 2" and try to close Virtual DJ 8. The system will lock up for minutes and you have no control over your desktop. It may also lock up so bad that you will have to force your Mac to power down, by holding the power button.

THINGS I'VE TRIED TO TROUBLESHOOT: Completely remove VDJ8 with the settings and reinstalled it as a fresh install (Ran it without any settings I previously had, Just a stock install.), Reinstalled the OS and only had VDJ8 installed.

It took me awhile to write this all, but if it does something to help fix these issues then I'm all up for it. I consider these issues as "Critical" since it effects the software in a major way.

Posted Mon 09 Jun 14 @ 9:19 am
I have the same MacBook Pro and have had lock issues also the spinning rainbow circle. I needed to force a shut down a few times. I just can't pin point why this happens.

Posted Mon 09 Jun 14 @ 9:43 am
Askwalsh wrote :
I have the same MacBook Pro and have had lock issues also the spinning rainbow circle. I needed to force a shut down a few times. I just can't pin point why this happens.

Can you please post your system specs and try to replicate the bugs I posted? Sure would help a lot for the developers. Thank you. :)

EDIT: Sorry I miss read your post and saw that you said you had the same macbook pro as I did. :/

Posted Mon 09 Jun 14 @ 9:45 am
BUG 4: When streaming with the Radio option VDJ8 will lag after time and lock up the whole computer.

HOW TO REPRODUCE: I'm not sure how to reproduce it, besides trying to stream to a server. Last night I was DJing for 2 hours on VDJ Radio and my system locked up around 5-7 times.

BUG 5: After loading a song into a player sometimes the music won't match the wave form in the display.

HOW TO REPRODUCE: Drag a song into a deck and after it analyzes the track quickly hit play with the automatic sync feature on. This happens randomly about 70% of the time.

BUG 6: Virtual DJ 8 doesn't allow you to drag the application onto another screen.

HOW TO REPRODUCE: Open up Virtual DJ and connect another monitor, Drag the application to the other screen and the whole interface will get distorted and messed up. Afterwords when you bring it back to the original screen it opened on and make it full screen it will display a bunch of garbage. The only fix for this is to close Virtual DJ 8 and wait for it to stop locking up the system.

Posted Tue 10 Jun 14 @ 6:05 am
BUG 7: Virtual DJ 8 only utilizes 1 core with Haswell/Crystalwell i7 and Ivy bridge i7 processors.

HOW TO REPRODUCE: Load up Virtual DJ 8 with 4 decks enabled. Drag songs or videos into the decks and play them, then check activity monitor and press CMD+2 and you will see only one core being used.

Posted Wed 11 Jun 14 @ 5:20 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
7. I don't know why it's not using more cores for you. When I start analyzing some tracks, loading some new tracks, playing video, I can see cpu usage going to over 200% and multiple cores being used.
In your screenshot it looks like it's just audio tracks, so given that it's quite a fast cpu I wouldn't be too surprised if it really doesn't require any more cpu power, so not sure what exactly the bug is here.

6. I can move around both the interface and the video window on any screen and back without any problems.

Posted Wed 11 Jun 14 @ 6:33 am
Adion wrote :
7. I don't know why it's not using more cores for you. When I start analyzing some tracks, loading some new tracks, playing video, I can see cpu usage going to over 200% and multiple cores being used.
In your screenshot it looks like it's just audio tracks, so given that it's quite a fast cpu I wouldn't be too surprised if it really doesn't require any more cpu power, so not sure what exactly the bug is here.

If you look closely you can see a video loaded (The black box with the VDJ logo.)

Adion wrote :
6. I can move around both the interface and the video window on any screen and back without any problems.

Here's a screen shot of what it looks like on the second monitor.

We have to remember is that not all systems will be the same, because not every system has the same hardware.

Posted Wed 11 Jun 14 @ 7:24 am
Your primary monitor is retina but your secondary is not perhaps?

Posted Wed 11 Jun 14 @ 8:42 am
Adion wrote :
Your primary monitor is retina but your secondary is not perhaps?

Yes. I should add that to my system specs. I'm using a Samsung 1080p 22' display for my secondary monitor.

Posted Wed 11 Jun 14 @ 8:58 am
ProfLeePRO InfinityMember since 2011
When I open Activity Monitor on the MBP with Retina Display, the %CPU starts out showing VDJ8 at around 35% but after using for a while, the CPU in the Activity Monitors shows as high as 95% and this is when I notice lagging etc. So I'm wondering is, whether or not my MBP is not processing properly.

I have 16 Gig of Ram and still have over 100GB of hard disk space left on my drive. VDJ 7 never goes beyond 40%

2.8GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.8GHz • 16GB 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM • 768GB Flash Storage

Out of the 8 CPUs shown, seems like all of the work is being done by the farthest left most.

As I turn off all of the running activities in VDJ8, eventually the program lockup the entire computer for at least a minute with just the little beach ball turning.

Posted Wed 11 Jun 14 @ 9:01 am
Here's a picture of my screen with the following processes running:

1. All 4 decks playing music
2. Automix running
3. EFX effects active
4. Plus I'm scanning files.

I would never do this in a real world situation but I wanted to give you a picture of what eventually happens when I'm doing normal activities.

Posted Wed 11 Jun 14 @ 9:07 am
And a final picture of the activity monitor while all processes are running.

Posted Wed 11 Jun 14 @ 9:44 am
Just a heads up from support chat. I was told that Virtual DJ 8 for PC was first developed and then later on the Mac version. So this could be the reason why VDJ8 runs a lot better on Windows than it does on OS X for the moment. I know that they're working hard to getting these bugs resolved so we have to be patient. In the meantime we should keep posting in this thread with anything we can find. The more bug reports the more of a chance they will fix these problems and at the end of it all? VDJ will be more than stable as ever! Keep them coming! Let's help out Atomix!

Posted Wed 11 Jun 14 @ 10:14 am
Also don't forget to post detail specs about your Mac.

Example:

- The processor you're using and what version? is it Sandy Bridge? Or Haswell? etc... How many cores? What's the model number to the processor?
- RAM. Mhz? How much?
- Hard drive. Is it SSD HDD? Size?
- Graphics card? How much video memory? Model?
- MIDI controllers?
- USB hubs?
- External displays?
- etc...

Posted Wed 11 Jun 14 @ 10:20 am
BUG8: When doing a backspin with video I noticed that the software had a hard time keeping up with the video.

I also wanted to add my two cents here. I noticed VDJ8 works FLAWLESSLY on my machine compared to using audio files. With video I was able to use VDJ8 for a little less than 2 hours without a single crash or stutter. I was really amazed by this and I'm guessing here that could it be the issues is due to how VDJ uses audio files to make it crash? Maybe an audio codec bug? I use a mixture of MP3s and MPA's (iTunes files) and I get the problems above. Really weird....

EDIT: I would like to also add that the library below showing the video listings only had around 5-8 videos while my audio files is a huge list. I don't know if this can be the issue of the crashing as well.

Posted Wed 11 Jun 14 @ 1:24 pm
DJAVIPPRO (OEM)Member since 2016
Wannabe1 wrote :
And a final picture of the activity monitor while all processes are running.

I dont understand In the software i see 22% and in the activity monitor the software is in 104% (52% 0r 26%) ? do you divide it by 2 cores or 4 ?

Posted Wed 11 Jun 14 @ 9:46 pm
The number vdj shows is 100% when the entire cpu is used. Activity monitor shows 100% when one core is fully used. So to get a similar number you have to multiply by the number of cores your cpu has.

Posted Thu 12 Jun 14 @ 4:43 am
ZeniraxPRO InfinityMember since 2011
Hello I can take you back a bug I have with my macbook pro when I want to load music from my external hard drive does not want me to load
It's work in VDJ 7

Posted Thu 12 Jun 14 @ 11:40 am
HI,

Using Mac OS Mavericks, 15" Retina with 16Gb RAM and around 300Gb of free disk.

Everything is fine for about 45 minutes, after that when the mouse is in the controller area everything is fine and smooth but when moved to the browser area the whole skin becomes unstable and jerky. It's like every time the mouse moves over a new item there is a brief pause. If the mouse is completely still everything is smooth again.

Also, after about 45 minutes the whole Mac will hang for about 2 minutes becoming unusable. This seems to happen no matter which skin I am using.

Hopefully this can be resolved as it makes it hard to work a set with a jerky controller area and such long pauses, especially if you are yet to load the next tracks.

Best regards

DJRS

P.S. The new sound engine is simply amazing.

Posted Thu 12 Jun 14 @ 1:29 pm
colinnewman2000 wrote :
HI,

Using Mac OS Mavericks, 15" Retina with 16Gb RAM and around 300Gb of free disk.

Everything is fine for about 45 minutes, after that when the mouse is in the controller area everything is fine and smooth but when moved to the browser area the whole skin becomes unstable and jerky. It's like every time the mouse moves over a new item there is a brief pause. If the mouse is completely still everything is smooth again.

Also, after about 45 minutes the whole Mac will hang for about 2 minutes becoming unusable. This seems to happen no matter which skin I am using.

Hopefully this can be resolved as it makes it hard to work a set with a jerky controller area and such long pauses, especially if you are yet to load the next tracks.

Best regards

DJRS

P.S. The new sound engine is simply amazing.

I'm guessing that you have the same Mac as me?

Posted Thu 12 Jun 14 @ 9:00 pm
95%