Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Topic: Limiter sounds terrible compared to version 7 - opinions?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hi just wanted to add a comment here and sorry if it's been discussed before, but in v7 when the limiter kicked in the sound kind of 'pumped' which of course wasn't great, but the sound was still smooth was definitely not distorted in any way so if a loud bit of the song kicked in and turned the limiter on you got away with it.

In version 8 the limiter sounds 'crunchy', I almost feel like I hear a second kick drum when the limiter kicks in on a dance track. It's very strange and doesn't sound at all good. Anyone else noticed this?

Posted Mon 09 Jun 14 @ 8:35 am
On the contrary, I had problems with the v7 limiter.. in v8 it never kicks in for me.

Posted Mon 09 Jun 14 @ 8:54 am
Haha, well there you go. If I'm honest you do have to turn the gain up a long way to make the limiter sound bad, but once it's on, then it does sound worse to my ears at least.

Posted Mon 09 Jun 14 @ 8:55 am
maybe were people are going wrong with it is using a controller/mixer you put the channel fader up full and then control the overall volume using the gain, which is linked to virtualdj and its limiter..
use the fader to adjust the overall volume level and leave vdj set to "Auto Gain"

Posted Mon 09 Jun 14 @ 8:59 am
The limited should NEVER kick in unless the sound is going to distort from the track playing.. I use an external mixer with a multi-channel sound card and I have yet to see the limited kick in...

Posted Mon 09 Jun 14 @ 9:37 am
I haven't tried vdj 8 at a gig yet, but one of the first things I did was turn stuff up to see what it sounded like. Maybe in practice you would be unlikely to make the limiter kick in so much at a real gig, but if you were silly enough to turn everything up it doesn't sound great. will have another play to see how easily it comes on for me

Posted Mon 09 Jun 14 @ 9:40 am
The easiest way is to do a bit of simple scratching. Use the mouse on the jog wheel and just wiggle it back and forth.

Really easy to get the limiter to activate, even with the levels set normally.

Posted Mon 09 Jun 14 @ 9:42 am
ewitlesPRO InfinityMember since 2006
or use one of the new eq plug ins

Posted Mon 09 Jun 14 @ 9:50 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)