Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Topic: Beatmatching Difficult in v8

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

vdbocPRO (legacy)Member since 2013
The way version 8 functions regarding play_sync and play_sync_onbeat is different from previous versions in a fundamental way, and seriously flawed.

In previous versions, play_sync and play_sync_onbeat functioned to align the beat of the new track to the NEAREST beat of the currently-playing track. In version 8, these commands function to align the beat of the new track to the NEXT beat of the currently-playing track. In practice, this means that beats are often misaligned when beatmatching.

Typically, you listen to the track playing and then hit the play_sync or play_sync_onbeat command at the moment of the intended beat. In actual usage, the command will technically be triggered a tiny fraction of a second before or a tiny fraction of a second after the true beat. In previous versions of the program, slightly before or slightly after did not matter; the new track would jump ahead or back as needed to align with the intended beat, and the result would sound perfect every time. With version 8, before or after does matter. If you happen to trigger the play command a tiny fraction of a second before the intended beat, then the beats align and all is well. If, however, you happen to trigger the command a tiny fraction of a second after the intended beat, then the program delays the track and aligns with the next beat, which is horribly wrong.

The new way version 8 functions requires the user to constantly strive to hit the command before the intended beat, which is counter-intuitive. Sitting in one’s home and practicing, a conscious effort can be made to do this, but when deejaying an actual gig, where a lot is going on and many things are juggling in one’s mind, the requirement to be conscious of this unintuitive way of doing things every single mix is unacceptable, especially when all previous versions of VirtualDJ functioned in the correct -- and natural -- manner. In fact, one of the first things anyone notices when first encountering VirtualDJ is the ease with which beatmatching can be accomplished. That ease is now gone.

I can find no setting that addresses this problem. I pray that there exists some way to return VDJ8 to functioning as all previous versions did regarding play_sync and play_sync_onbeat. Please advise me on this matter.

Thank you.

Posted Tue 03 Jun 14 @ 1:43 am
jaakkoPRO InfinityMember since 2006
This could always happen, also in VDJ7 for me. Simply make some shotcuts (keyboard arrows, or controller mapping) to "goto +1" and "goto-1" to fix quickly the offbeat when it happens.

Posted Tue 03 Jun 14 @ 5:28 am
You posted the same thing last week here.

Please do not spam the forum with duplicate posts. Preferably continue the discussion in your original thread (which will also bump it).

Posted Tue 03 Jun 14 @ 5:40 am

Posted Tue 03 Jun 14 @ 9:01 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)