Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Topic: Overheating Mac - Analysing annoyance in VDJ8

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I had VDJ8 crash at my weekly residency last Friday night 3 hours into a 4 hour gig. I'm pretty certain it was a heat issue as I've had it before with PCs prior to using the Mac.

My Mac sits on a cooling plate with 2 fans blowing at the underneath. What I have found with VDJ8 is that, although all my databases were analysed in VDJ7, VDJ8 analyses almost every video I select and put in the automix list (I use it as a wait list for ideas and requests) even though they have already been analysed. This must be contibuting to the heat generated. I've seen many posts on here about the extra heat that seems to be generated from VDJ8 compared with VDJ7, could this be the cause?

With this in mind I set about analysing all my 8,000 videos today, but, I had to shut down the computer when it was half way through with less than 4,000 videos to do. A few hours later on returning home I set VDJ8 to continue analysing and to my horror it started from the beginning!!! Surely it should be able to carry on from where it left off? How many times does it need to analyse a video/mp3? I dread to think how long it will take to do my mp3 database of 25,000 songs!!! Surely the analysing routine should be able to detect if they had already been analysed?

I was hoping that analysing all my databases at home would mean that it would not need to be done while gigging and in my case not generate unnecessary heat.

Doing some heat tests this morning and analysing videos raised the temperature of core 0 & core 1 from an average 58C to an average 95C, my Mac fans increased from 2,000 revs to max out at 6,000 revs. After putting the cooling plate underneath the Mac, there was no change in temperature meaning the cooling plate is doing nothing. It worked OK on PCs that had fans underneath, but the Mac doesn't.

We need to be able to pause/stop the analysing and be able to continue from where it left off at a later date.

Posted Mon 02 Jun 14 @ 1:53 pm
I have had frequent issues with my laptops appearing to be hot and working hard on a wide range of CPU and GPU intensive applications.
In all cases, the cooling fans and filters were clogged and needed to be cleaned to allow adequate airflow.

Posted Mon 02 Jun 14 @ 4:43 pm
DJ KozPRO InfinityMember since 2007
Good idea Soulman. +1

If then we need to analyze a song again then we can just right click and hit Re-Analyze BPM etc.

Posted Mon 02 Jun 14 @ 5:00 pm
JoeyKJPRO InfinityMember since 2008
If you guys are doing video anything, use a laptop fan always, or you will be setting yourself up for issues of the third kind for sure..

Posted Mon 02 Jun 14 @ 6:19 pm
I'm currently analysing videos one year at a time and keeping a written record of which has been done. Shouldn't need to do this, but it seems to be the only way to get it done.

Posted Tue 03 Jun 14 @ 12:47 am
Brilliant! VDJ8 has just crashed while analysing my videos. Had Macs Fan Control running to monitor temperatures and Speedfan to show the temperature graph. Also had this page open in Google Chrome and I got bored and played a video from the 70s. When it was near finished I had loaded another video into the right player with the mouse clicked on play when the whole interface froze.

Had to forceably shut down VDJ8 and restart. Also re-analysing my 70s videos. Grrrrr......

Posted Tue 03 Jun 14 @ 9:10 am
That's it! Spent all day on it and now my whole video database is analysed, all 8,000 tracks. We will see this weekend whether this makes a difference. I haven't used the Optimizer with VDJ8 yet, suppose I could use that too to shut off background tasks.

My mp3 database is still to do, but, I hardly use mp3s anymore so I may just leave it for the program to analyse when an mp3 is loaded.

Posted Tue 03 Jun 14 @ 11:13 am
Analysed all my rock mp3s (2,500) as I now work in a rock club every Saturday.

Now analysing mp3s going through one decade at a time, upto the 90s so far.

Getting there. ;-)

Posted Wed 04 Jun 14 @ 4:20 pm
After a few more issues with VDJ8 this week I decided to abort and use VDJ7 this weekend.

Had utilities monitoring the core temperatures all night at my regular residency. It's very hot in the DJ booth and tonight the core temperatures were on average 75C which is 20C less than last week with VDJ8. That's a significant difference. Unfortunately the laptop crashed, with I assume a heat issue, right at the end of the night. I let the iPod play out the end of the night.

Gonna take the back off the laptop and check the fans are clear tomorrow.

Beginning to think should I build a custom rack mount/desktop computer with lots of cooling fans ?

Posted Fri 06 Jun 14 @ 9:54 pm
I have a custom build unit that i use from time to time, where space permits.

It has advantages that for me make it a great choice. Easy to upgrade, customise to what YOU need (lots of fans) being the main things. It often works out a lot cheaper doing a custom build also - shop around and there is some good deals out there.

Posted Fri 06 Jun 14 @ 10:13 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)