Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Topic: How about making VDJ8 install in it's own directory, own database, own settings separate from VDJ7?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Since VDJ 8 is new software from the ground up, why not have atleast an install option, if not be default, to have it install into it's own folders, completely separate from VDJ7, with it's own database and settings. This means, both the programs folder (in winblows) and the VDJ directory in Documents would be completely separated from VDJ7 folders. Additionally, during install, it could ask if the user would like to "import" settings from VDJ7, kind of like when installing a browser. This would not mean VDJ8 would pull from the same settings, but rather make a copy for itself.

Reasons:
1. People accidentally deleting their database/settings/maps and all from VDJ7, when uninstalling VDJ8 for a fresh reinstall. I know it asks, but why should it even be a possibility, especially when devs acknowledge they consider this still in beta mode.
2. Issues with old cue settings and such getting screwed up. It would be nice to have a separate database, that is either copied from vdj7, or a completely clean slate to work with. I've noticed cue points ahead of beat 1, where in VDJ, they are where they should be. Concerned about resetting these, cause how does it affect VDJ7 when I go back? Plus, the hassle of fixing them all in VDJ8 even if doing so does not affect VDJ7. I'd rather start from scratch I think :)
3. While sorting out bugs in VDJ8 (congrats for you who are not having issues, but please acknowledge that some are) I much prefer the separate sandbox idea. I know I can choose a different folder for VDJ8 for "program folders" in winblows during install, but it seems it wants to pull from the same folder in Documents regardless. I want it separate.

So??? Thoughts?

Posted Sun 01 Jun 14 @ 3:18 pm
One of the best ideas ever for all the reasons stated above as well as all other users who've updated from VD7 -VD8 with similar problems

Posted Sun 01 Jun 14 @ 4:15 pm
agreed.

even after i'm satisfied that 8 is going to run on the computer at work there are going to be teething problems I think. I won't be risking losing the nights music and all the data I need (yes - do back data up often thank you very much) to be saved because it STILL has import or data issues between 7 and 8 while playing music and video flawlessly.
how often do I use history? every night so I can try and stay out of the rut but it's all the other data importation that is going to be kicking our butts if it still has issues.

Posted Sun 01 Jun 14 @ 8:03 pm
double agreed...

Posted Sun 01 Jun 14 @ 9:25 pm
Glad you guys agree :) I sure think it's a good idea. I hope the Devs agree too. I like the idea of having a clean slate with the data base on VDJ8 as an option, while still having the database I've built up for VDJ7 running when I run VDJ7.

With how v8 is running on my setup, and the uniqueness of my setup, I'm honestly betting we are going to be atleast to 8.1 before I am willing to step over to v8 full time. Honestly, that's fine. I'm a patient man. 7.41 is a solid running software, and I have it already customized perfect for my needs. I will look forward to when I can use the extra features of v8, but I honestly don't want to run version 8 until I can get v8 working as perfect as 7.41 is for me right now, and with all the effects and custom mapping I have now. That's probably going to mean a lot of work to recreate some of the mapping I've done, and some waiting for fixes, and versions of some of my favored effects that will work with version 8. So be it. I can wait.

In the meantime, I would like to work on Version 8 in my spare time, but preferably not with fudging up my version 7 database, or out of fear that if I uninstall for a fresh install (some have seen some better results going with a fresh install after the updates) of accidentally clicking the wrong button, and loosing settings. Given, I too make copies of the VDJ folder in Documents, but it's a bit messy to have to do that everytime I think I need to change something with VDJ8. Better to just have them separate, completely. Have VDJ7 in one sandbox, VDJ8 in another sand box, or atleast have that option upon install :)

What do you say Devs?

Posted Sun 01 Jun 14 @ 10:19 pm
You are aware that version 8 has it's one database anyway?

There is a one time conversion when you load V8 that copies the v7 database into v8. After that they are two separate databases and do not affect the other.

Posted Sun 01 Jun 14 @ 10:42 pm
rlovePRO InfinityMember since 2010
Databases are separate, however most of the settings/folders are shared.

Posted Sun 01 Jun 14 @ 10:45 pm
djtouchdan wrote :
You are aware that version 8 has it's one database anyway?

There is a one time conversion when you load V8 that copies the v7 database into v8. After that they are two separate databases and do not affect the other.

so all these posts about people having issues with data migrations are... what?
had issues myself with loss of data already and having to re-scan files in 3 external drives and still have problems with history, playlists, AND even with files that have never been moved on the computer.
I would call that affected.

Posted Mon 02 Jun 14 @ 12:03 am
AsTheDJPRO InfinityMember since 2008
Yes I feel you I like to play VDj-8 out side the Bed room,but my Info about the song I add it until 8 works are not there,so I have to Search and look and may be I can fine it with in 10min with VDj8

Posted Mon 02 Jun 14 @ 12:12 am
ive tried also mentioned it before so +++1

but i gues they don't whant it and the support like to have this kind of problems

(make them look better in closing tikets when the problem is easy to solve;-))

Posted Mon 02 Jun 14 @ 2:59 am
jaakkoPRO InfinityMember since 2006
+1
What about also having plugin or other option to sync betweeen VDJ8 and VDJ7 databases? Like if I analyze (set cues, tags) a song in VDJ8 it will be auto-updated to VDJ7 as well. Of course not everything cannot be transferred, like new tags: tracknumber, Label, etc, special POI:s. But they just remain ignored on VDJ7.

Now what I do to do this, is to copy new tracks to another hard drive (let's say D:\) which have all database xmls deleted. Then browse the new tracks fon D:\ on VDJ7, setting cue points and tags there. Then open and browse D:\ tracks on VDJ8 and move them (right click in VDJ8) to my actual hard drive (C:\). Then open VDJ 7 database on D:\ on text editor and copy song entries from D:\VirtualDJ database v6.xml to D:\VirtualDJ database v6.xml. Then I have all the new songs analyzed both in VDJ7 and VDJ8. Easy, huh?

Posted Mon 02 Jun 14 @ 4:28 am
I still think this would be a good idea... Could be just a simple option during install to install VDJ8 in completely separate directories. You can choose a different directory already for what goes in the Program Files Directory (winblows), just need an option to also create a different and separate directory for the setup files and database files.... so both programs are kept completely separate, and VDJ8 can start with a clean database if we want.

Seems like a pretty simple change, and potential for better troubleshooting. People who may be thinking that there is an interaction between the two programs that is causing a problem, could see for sure if that is the case. Hence, completely separate install = same problem = not an interaction issue.... or for that matter, completely separate install = problem gone = probably was some kind of issue between the two versions, database, or something.

Posted Wed 04 Jun 14 @ 10:29 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)