Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Topic: MBP Bootcamped VDJ8 crash last night - Possible heat issue?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hi guys
Unfortunately VDJ8 crashed last night after 3 hours of a 4 hour gig in my residency.

There's a lot of heat in the DJ Booth at my residency (3 amps under the bench don't help), I've seen it before when about 3 hours into a gig and VirtualDJ starts getting sluggish and eventually falls over. I've used 100% video (and VirtualDJ) in this residency for 6 1/2 years.

To try and combat this when I was using PC laptops a few years ago, I started using a cooling plate with 2 fans blowing at the underneath of the laptop, it's USB powered. My PCtoTV convertor and iPod are USB powered. My external HD is USB powered and my various controllers I've used were all USB powered. The cooling plate has 3 USB connections, so, to ease the power drain on my laptops I have a mains to USB adapter that powers the cooling plate and I take power from the cooling plate for the PCtoTV convertor and the iPod as they only want power not data.

This has worked great since I started with the Mac 3 1/2 years ago as it only has 2 USB connections. It has been fine with VirtualDJ 7 and previous versions, however, as many people have reported on here that VirtualDJ 8 tends to generate a lot more heat. I am fairly certain my issue last night was heat. When I tried to load a video it only drew a third of the graph in the player window. I tried with several different videos and went back to the original one and had the same with all of them. I tried moving the cursor along to encourage it to load some more, it did for a while. Eventually the video that was playing stopped unexpectedly.

I had to put my backup plan into action by pushing the fader up on my backup iPod. I rebooted Windows and loaded VirtualDJ 7 and everything was fine til the end of the night. Loading the players was noticeably faster than VDJ 8 just before the crash.

My question is; I have used a software utility to speed up the fans in the Mac but I was told by the gurus at the Mac store not to use it as it will burn out the fans as they are just plastic. So, I stopped using it. Now I feel that it will be essential when using VirtualDJ 8.

Has anybody had experience using these fan utilities?
Ever had one burn out?
Is it a good idea?

Your thoughts?

Posted Sat 31 May 14 @ 2:15 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)