Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Topic: ALAC decoding

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Question for devs:

I'm mentioned it a few times and it was agreed by a few others.

ALAC being lossless should sound better than MP3, but no longer does in 8. Is this the decoder? Is an improvement to it likely soon? Lots of DJ's use iTunes to manage music and rip with lossless, so it would be great if the audio improvements could be noticed with ALAC too.

Posted Fri 30 May 14 @ 3:50 pm
I wish it would too!!

Posted Fri 30 May 14 @ 4:55 pm
Also with ALAC the sound glitches occasionally, stutters just for a split second now and then, doesn't happen with mp3. Guests don't usually notice, but I certainly do.

Posted Fri 30 May 14 @ 5:20 pm

Posted Fri 30 May 14 @ 5:20 pm
Nothing to be said? :-(

I'm set up now, background music, same track both decks, alac one side, mp3 the other, the alac stutters (slightly) and doesn't sound as good, the mp3 doesn't stutter and sounds brighter.

CPU usage low etc

Posted Sat 31 May 14 @ 1:12 pm
More info, if an ALAC is playing on one side, the other even if mp3 will stutter also, two mp3s playing less issue but I do still notice it at times. It's only slight but noticeable to me.

Starting and stopping the non playing deck causes audible stutters too, again very slight.

Maybe the stuttering is VMS related, rather that VDJ, no idea. the sound quality of ALAC is VDJ I'm sure.

Posted Sat 31 May 14 @ 1:31 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
Could you share an alac file that has problems when you try to play it with me?

Posted Sun 01 Jun 14 @ 3:20 am
I have 10000 they all sound worse than mp3 as noted by others and all stutter randomly, it's not in the same places and doesn't happen in 7.

Posted Sun 01 Jun 14 @ 4:38 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)