Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Topic: Distortion Before Gain and Fader

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hi VDJ8 team,

Great work on the VDJ8 update. I love it.

With an external mixer setup (DDJ-SZ) I am getting distortion on tracks that were recorded loud before the Gain and fader ( I think before the mixer). Adjusting the Gain and volume turns down the volume but doesn't eliminate the over drive distortion or reduce or remove the clip LEDs on the mixer of VDJ8 interface.

Autogain - Auto gain remember don't seem to work. I am constantly adjusting the levels of the tracks each time.

Is there a global limiter to reduce the over all volume -6db?

Please post on the download VDJ8 page the build number so I we know when to download the latest updates.

Thank you

Posted Fri 30 May 14 @ 10:17 am
I believe this has been answered by Phantom DJ. SET zeroDB to 0.8

From Phantom DJ:
In Version 8 the limiter is always enabled and there's no option to turn it off.

Fact1:
It's a LIMITER. It's not a COMPRESSOR. There are a lot differencies on how and when a LIMITER kicks in, in comparison with a compressor.

Fact2:
VirtualDj's limiter will activate ONLY when the volume of the sound that you're trying to send on your soundcard would produce DISTORTION on the digital signal path (e.g. You're trying to output digital sound higher than +0db)

Fact3:
VirtualDj's limiter does not act as a compressor nor it can be adjusted to become one. You cannot lower the threshold and you cannot alter the compress ratio.

Now:
If you're having issues because of the limiter (limiter kicks in very frequently) then it's up to your settings and most likely due to your gain adjustments.
Turning the gain all way up on the digital world won't produce louder sound. It will produce louder distorted sound.
In other words: Limiter is always active to prevent distortion, and we decided to include it's indicator on the default skin in order to be able to see when you have overdone it and you need to step back.

If you need louder sound then a more powerfull sound system is needed. Not more gain...

PS: VirtualDj's auto gain is set to "Auto+Remember" by default. This means that it will remember your gain adjustments if you tweak them.
However this produces an anwanted side-effect. When you load a track that has a gain set (either by v7 or by v8) too loud it will "force" the limiter to kick in.
Best practise would be to set your auto-gain in options to "auto" only so that VDJ loads the tracks with a propriate gain and the limiter does not kick in frequently.

PS2:
In V7 there was a setting (Volume Headroom)
In V8 we have another option for this, called "zeroDB" By default it's set to 1.0 that equals with no volume headroom. If you like to play with your EQ's frequently and you move them frequently on the positive range, then you should lower this value to get some headroom. Personally I find this value for my style of mixing to be best set between 0.75 and 0.8. However you can mess around with it to find your own sweet spot. (You need to reload a track for this setting to work as it's taken into consideration when you load tracks)

Posted Fri 30 May 14 @ 11:23 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)