Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Topic: Replicate database on backup laptop - Page: 2

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

groovindj wrote :
CRSounds wrote :

on the original machine both V7 & 8 see all the virtual folders. On the second machine neither V7 or V8 sees them.

If 7 sees them then you must've created them on 7. If you'd added the sub folders in 8 then 7 wouldn't see them.

However, creating them in 7 would mean they're stored in the 7 database XML - so 7 on the backup machine should see them in there.

Can you use a text editor to search through the 7 database XML and see if it contains VirtualFolder Name="50's Hits"? Maybe it's something to do with the ' character, as all the missing VFs have a ' in the name....

Disclaimer: As you're using an external drive, it may be the case that some files/data are on there rather than on the machine. I'm not familiar with what data info is stored on external drives.

Re your disclaimer: As far as I can see the DB on the external drive simply contains the song data for the songs stored on it.

You may have something on the ' character. I have searched the databases and it seems the folders with ' in the name don't appear.
However there are some older ones 60's, 70's etc that have a ' that appear on both machines although not in file explorer.

Posted Fri 30 May 14 @ 6:27 am
Just renamed the folders removing the ' character.
Expected them to turn up in either the /folders directory somewhere or the v7 .xml file but still can't see them anywhere.

Posted Fri 30 May 14 @ 6:35 am
I'm officially boggled!

I just tried starting afresh. Deleted the 8 database and 'folders' directory, then opened 7 and created some VFs with the same names and nesting as yours.

Opened 8 again and it imported the VFs without issue. The files are there in the 'folders' dir too.

Maybe the support gurus can get to the bottom of it with a remote session for you?

Posted Fri 30 May 14 @ 7:29 am
That would be fine with me. Thanks for all your time and support, it is appreciated.

Posted Fri 30 May 14 @ 7:32 am
Cracked it.
The tech support told me to delete the VDJ and folders directories from /Documents and my external drive.
I hadn't seen these folders on the external so didn't copy them over.
Now done so and all appears to be well.
Thanks for all the support :-)

Posted Sat 31 May 14 @ 3:07 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)