Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Topic: Batch mode key analysis still broken

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

In the latest build changelog

VDJ:BUILD 1814:
-Fix batch-analyze sometimes giving wrong bpm results

Thank you for that.

However key analysis in batch mode is still bugged.

I select a bunch of tracks and look at the key values as it scans them. One changes key. I make a note of that track. When the scan finishes I rescan that file individually. The key changes back. If I scan it a couple of more times it never changes. Now I select a bunch of tracks and rescan them. It changes the key of that track again. If I continually scan those tracks in batch mode the key of that track will keep flipping between two key values. This makes key values used in VDJ practically useless if you batch scanned all of your tracks.

Posted Wed 28 May 14 @ 7:47 am
Well that was clever. The images broke the forum thread and moved the edit option off screen.

Cropped to better fit. Mods please delete the other image links.

Posted Wed 28 May 14 @ 8:30 am
Which detection algorithm are you using - Broad or Electronic?

Have you tried switching from one to the other and comparing results?

Looking at the keys it's flipping between, maybe it's just indecisive because there isn't enough melodic info in that track to work it out.

I don't have that track myself, or I'd try it in MIK to compare.

Posted Wed 28 May 14 @ 8:56 am
groovindj wrote :
Which detection algorithm are you using - Broad or Electronic?

Have you tried switching from one to the other and comparing results?

Looking at the keys it's flipping between, maybe it's just indecisive because there isn't enough melodic info in that track to work it out.

I don't have that track myself, or I'd try it in MIK to compare.

Just tested. It only seems to do it in broad mode. But only if you select a bunch of tracks. If you scan the track on it's own - multiple times - in either broad or electronic mode it will stay the say key. Batch mode scanning in broad mode the key flips between two keys.

Posted Wed 28 May 14 @ 9:07 am
For testing purposes I just did a quick YouTube rip and ran it through MIK 6...

According to MIK it's neither 5A or 9B. It's 9A.

Using the built in MIK piano keyboard, it's certainly not 5A any day of the week.

9A vs 9B, well it'd mix anyway as it's adjacent, but it sounds more A than B.

Posted Wed 28 May 14 @ 9:11 am
I have another issue when scanning in electronic mode. Keys for some tracks never show which is why I stuck with broad mode.

Broad

Electronic

Posted Wed 28 May 14 @ 9:22 am
So have these been confirmed by others or not? Are the devs looking into it? This is a pretty major issue IMHO. I am unable to scan my library because in broad mode it will get lots of track keys wrong and in electronic mode won't even display a key on many tracks.

OK key analysis has me completely baffled.

Broad

Electronic

Posted Thu 29 May 14 @ 8:53 am
Development team are aware.

As with any bugs, i don't have a timescale but rest assured its on the radar!!

Posted Thu 29 May 14 @ 9:41 am
djtouchdan wrote :
Development team are aware.

As with any bugs, i don't have a timescale but rest assured its on the radar!!

Thank you.

Posted Thu 29 May 14 @ 9:43 am
ZothenPRO InfinityMember since 2014
VDJ:BUILD 1814:
-Fix batch-analyze sometimes giving wrong bpm results

...so, is it fixed now or not or what?

The way the "changelog" is handled is pretty horrible and not helpful! (no timestamp, no full changelog/old changed arent shown)
Can you please add a full changelog to actually review changes? Because its important!

Posted Thu 29 May 14 @ 11:37 am
ZothenPRO InfinityMember since 2014
Edit: Somehow oversaw that it was exactly this build version thats quoted in the OP. So question answered - not fixed.

Also noticed that a handful of my house tracks have a wrong beatgrid. Its exactly 1 beat off, even if the first beat is pretty obvious/recognizable.

Posted Thu 29 May 14 @ 12:57 pm
Have you tried rescanning them with the latest build? I think batch mode scanning works correctly now. I am right in the middle of rescanning my library so it could take a while to get back to you on this. I found that if I started VDJ8 and did a batch scan in 'broad' mode the keys never changed. It was only if I scanned them again a few times the key would flip on some tracks.

I hope the BPM bug in batch scan is now fixed and I think if I only scan all of my tracks the one time after a restart of VDJ the keys 'should' be OK. I cannot say for certain though. They are aware of these issues now anyhow so hopefully this will be fixed soon.

Posted Fri 30 May 14 @ 11:20 am
Still busted in latest build (still tracks with no keys in electronic mode and keys still flipping in broad mode when batch rescanning). Any update on these? I think this is pretty major to the functioning of VDJ so don't know why it's been stuck on the backburner.

Posted Fri 06 Jun 14 @ 2:15 am
mojo193PRO InfinityMember since 2006
I thought I had a work around the issue but it failed
I agree this too important to put on the back burner but I do thank the DEV for not messsing with VDJ 7 data
otherwise i would be in Big Trouble
Look at the bright side, you can still use VDJ 7 until the bugs or should i say Major Bugs are fixed
with my large library a good ear is not good enough

Posted Wed 11 Jun 14 @ 1:54 pm
I think the batch mode key detection may be fixed for broad range detection. At least the keys are not flipping on rescans. Can anyone else verify on the latest build?

Electronic detection mode is still busted though. Tons of tracks show no key at all no matter how many times I rescan them and the keys change to a different key compared to broad range mode.

Electronic

Broad

Posted Wed 18 Jun 14 @ 8:16 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)