Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Topic: Gains & Scratching problem

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I am using the Pioneer DDJ-SX Controller , soon as I start scratching I noticed that my Limiter is at it's peak . My gain is set at Noon , and its running in the Red zone all the time . I have to turn down my gain to almost quarter on certain songs . I do know that it does not happen in 7.4 , so will this be fixed soon .

Posted Mon 26 May 14 @ 9:24 am
Anybody >?

Posted Mon 26 May 14 @ 5:32 pm
Rnow3PRO InfinityMember since 2011
I use the SX as well but haven't had that problem. Maybe try changing the auto gain settings, I have mine set to disabled

Posted Mon 26 May 14 @ 7:51 pm
djsherzPRO InfinityMember since 2006
I've noticed that on some setups, the scratch is noticeably louder than the regular playback. I wonder if it's a soundcard thing, as so far the "loud scratch" phenomenon happens when using a basic onboard soundcard, but not when I'm using a proper external ASIO card. Weird.

Posted Mon 26 May 14 @ 8:07 pm
Even without the controller not hooked up if I scratch in the manually with my mouse , it also is in the red and the limiter light coming on . For the gain I guess I will keep it disabled , but even lowering the gain I notice on some songs , it still is in the red a lot

Posted Mon 26 May 14 @ 8:47 pm
I am using the NS 7 II and I also noted this problem. Anybody??

Posted Wed 28 May 14 @ 2:04 pm
Im using the numark 4 trak and have the same problem with the peak while scratching as well has the jog wheels loosing the scratch and not being able to hold a beat or scratch with out the the track starting to play again this dose not happen with v7 What happen to full view as well as i can not seem to find it

Posted Wed 28 May 14 @ 2:20 pm
same thing here with the ns7 when i can get version 8 to even recognize it. Scratching is awful! way off time.

Posted Wed 28 May 14 @ 7:19 pm
NS7 here also, same issue.

Posted Wed 28 May 14 @ 7:43 pm
And it seems like i can not even get any of the moderators to acknowledge it!

Posted Thu 29 May 14 @ 1:48 pm
I don't have a NS7, but earlier today and with a previous build, I noticed my music was distorted, cutting in and out throughout all of the songs. Today it was fine for about an hour and then it started. I rebooted the software and it seems to have corrected itself again. I have my auto gain set to off as well, but had already done that before the issue started. I've been playing music for about another hour and a half now and have not had the issue come back. Have you tried rebooting the software yet?

Posted Thu 29 May 14 @ 4:33 pm
The reason why it distorted was because in the Virtual dj software you did not probably notice your gain was on max , and your channel on your controller was on low , this will make the audio distort

Posted Thu 29 May 14 @ 5:08 pm
PPJJUKPRO InfinityMember since 2011
same for me on the mc6000

Posted Fri 30 May 14 @ 9:20 am
djranesPRO InfinityMember since 2007
PitchQuality = 0 (no loud scratch sound, normal)
PitchQuality = 1 (loud scratch sound, not good)
PitchQuality = 2 (extra loud scratch sound, worse)

The above were my observations.
Will it be possible to get the same amount of scratch audio quality even at a HQ pitch setting?

Posted Fri 30 May 14 @ 10:20 am
I just posted something on another thread regarding distortion before gain and fade on loud tracks. Essentially I am getting the same problem but with tracks that have been recorded loud. You can turn down the volume and gain but the distortion and clip lights remain constant. I am sure the team will have this fixed soon.

Does anyone know where the global limiter (-6db) pad is? This might solve the issue. Also is anyone else having autogain issues? Mine doesn't seem to work I need to manually adjust levels as I mix.

Darin

Posted Fri 30 May 14 @ 10:32 am
Hey Guys,

I think Phantom already answer this in a different thread. The answer is the set the ZeroDB to 0.8. I am going to try this when I get home.

VDJ team please make the explaination for this parameter clear and set 0.8 as a default setting for us users who are just getting to know VDJ8.

From PhantomDJ:

In Version 8 the limiter is always enabled and there's no option to turn it off.

Fact1:
It's a LIMITER. It's not a COMPRESSOR. There are a lot differencies on how and when a LIMITER kicks in, in comparison with a compressor.

Fact2:
VirtualDj's limiter will activate ONLY when the volume of the sound that you're trying to send on your soundcard would produce DISTORTION on the digital signal path (e.g. You're trying to output digital sound higher than +0db)

Fact3:
VirtualDj's limiter does not act as a compressor nor it can be adjusted to become one. You cannot lower the threshold and you cannot alter the compress ratio.

Now:
If you're having issues because of the limiter (limiter kicks in very frequently) then it's up to your settings and most likely due to your gain adjustments.
Turning the gain all way up on the digital world won't produce louder sound. It will produce louder distorted sound.
In other words: Limiter is always active to prevent distortion, and we decided to include it's indicator on the default skin in order to be able to see when you have overdone it and you need to step back.

If you need louder sound then a more powerfull sound system is needed. Not more gain...

PS: VirtualDj's auto gain is set to "Auto+Remember" by default. This means that it will remember your gain adjustments if you tweak them.
However this produces an anwanted side-effect. When you load a track that has a gain set (either by v7 or by v8) too loud it will "force" the limiter to kick in.
Best practise would be to set your auto-gain in options to "auto" only so that VDJ loads the tracks with a propriate gain and the limiter does not kick in frequently.

PS2:
In V7 there was a setting (Volume Headroom)
In V8 we have another option for this, called "zeroDB" By default it's set to 1.0 that equals with no volume headroom. If you like to play with your EQ's frequently and you move them frequently on the positive range, then you should lower this value to get some headroom. Personally I find this value for my style of mixing to be best set between 0.75 and 0.8. However you can mess around with it to find your own sweet spot. (You need to reload a track for this setting to work as it's taken into consideration when you load tracks)

Posted Fri 30 May 14 @ 11:22 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)