Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Topic: 6 Crashes in 3 Hours.

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Not a good day in my world. Purchased the following below. Migrated some content over from my old MacBook Pro (where I never experienced one crash on VDJ7. Reason for replacing it was because it had no mirror capabilities and I wish to diversify (being a female in this industry doesn't mean showing up, shaking my butt, and resorting to a playlist), so I decided to get into the video end. With my Mac, I've practiced...and practiced...like all of us, got some gigs (just audio), but now I am shaping lots of private parties who want video.

(Maybe the computer was my mistake, but its all I can spare with the budget right now)
Asus Q550 - Processor: Intel Core i7-4500U (1.8GHz) Max Turbo Speed up to 3GHz
4MB L3 Cache
Processor Core: Dual-Core
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GT 745M (2GB DDR3 dedicated)
Memory: 8GB DDR3 (expandable to 16GB)
Hard Drive: 1TB SATA (5400rpm)
Window 8 (which is so frustrating in itself being used to Mac; spending half the day going WTF did I do here?)

I've upgraded to VDJ8 today - and I like it, but geez...during a practice jam 6x today, the site quit. The computer said the program was suddenly shutting down while Windows would attempt to resolve (maybe they'll send me a memo because the diagnosis couldn't tell me anything). I did see a problem; the CPU's. At times, even while I was doing nothing but listening to a few tracks, it would spike. I ck'd task manager, nothing open. I checked startup to dismiss anything remotely starting or running, nothing there either.

So I am clueless. If anyone has any suggestions, I'll send a virtual hug!

Posted Sun 25 May 14 @ 9:55 pm
What, no butt shaking??? I'm outta here. I'm only kidding. Your specs on this computer seem fine. Have you run 7, on this computer? Do you have the latest version of 8?

Posted Sun 25 May 14 @ 10:33 pm
DJ_SVOPRO InfinityMember since 2006
Some tweaking may help, I have 2 Sony Vaio's with almost the same specs as your ASUS and I've had no problem with 7.4 and the single one running 8 in testing mode at this time. I removed all the junk bloatware, have ESET Smart Security installed and WiFi enabled the machine runs great. For full performance I run CCleaner, disable WiFi and ESET. Then run VDJ Optimizer as an Admin and the CPU with music stays at @10% with HD Video it goes up to 15-16%.

Good luck!!!

Posted Sun 25 May 14 @ 11:04 pm
Stick with 7. 8 atm is useless, just constantly crashes.

Posted Mon 26 May 14 @ 5:35 am
A Man and His Music wrote :
What, no butt shaking??? I'm outta here. I'm only kidding. Your specs on this computer seem fine. Have you run 7, on this computer? Do you have the latest version of 8?

LOL, I'm not. Let's say, they're always an advantage to a butt shake, and a couple of poles on each side of you. Yes, I did run 7. I downloaded the most recent 8.

Posted Mon 26 May 14 @ 9:16 am
DJ_SVO wrote :
Some tweaking may help, I have 2 Sony Vaio's with almost the same specs as your ASUS and I've had no problem with 7.4 and the single one running 8 in testing mode at this time. I removed all the junk bloatware, have ESET Smart Security installed and WiFi enabled the machine runs great. For full performance I run CCleaner, disable WiFi and ESET. Then run VDJ Optimizer as an Admin and the CPU with music stays at @10% with HD Video it goes up to 15-16%.

Good luck!!!

Very, very interesting.

Posted Mon 26 May 14 @ 9:18 am
I am running rock solid with 8, audio and karaoke mainly, on a basic spec laptop, but hey there are lots of configuration options, and this its why they are giving a caution about using it live, don't forget its a full re write of the code!

I am also finding the audio quality superb !

Testing a program like this is always going to take time, the code is cross compiled for both pc and mac, and bear in mind the pc standard is very open , and the list of controllers is vast, its not like they just have to make it work with one known hardware setup.

My advice is to test it on your own hardware setup if it crashes don't just moan about it , send it the crash details, upload the crash report, try and repeat it , this is what this forum is for !

Posted Tue 27 May 14 @ 9:18 am
HKNYCPRO InfinityMember since 2006
@ SNEvents, just curious how are you setup? Are you using any controllers, sound cards internal or external, because you could also be having a driver issue. Also which version of windows 8 are you using? And make sure your laptop is fully up to date on all it's drivers also.

I personally have had many crashes over and over and high CPU spikes. Mainly the high CPU is due to a (skin disorder haha!) You should try a skin that is for your laptop's resolution. The current V8 default skin is 1920 x 1080, so make sure it's the size you need. Try any of the old version 7 skins or a different version 8 skin, also if your running 4 decks instead of 2 you may also notice a spike in CPU. That, also seems to have an affect! But as far as your specs go you shouldn't have any problems at all... Your good!

Last note: Under no circumstances, use version 8 as your primary gig software, yet!!! It's not yet finished or fully supported :)

Posted Tue 27 May 14 @ 10:16 am
sureview wrote :

My advice is to test it on your own hardware setup if it crashes don't just moan about it , send it the crash details, upload the crash report, try and repeat it , this is what this forum is for !

Sounds good. OK.

Posted Tue 27 May 14 @ 8:16 pm
HKNYC wrote :
@ SNEvents, just curious how are you setup? Are you using any controllers, sound cards internal or external, because you could also be having a driver issue. Also which version of windows 8 are you using? And make sure your laptop is fully up to date on all it's drivers also.

I personally have had many crashes over and over and high CPU spikes. Mainly the high CPU is due to a (skin disorder haha!) You should try a skin that is for your laptop's resolution. The current V8 default skin is 1920 x 1080, so make sure it's the size you need. Try any of the old version 7 skins or a different version 8 skin, also if your running 4 decks instead of 2 you may also notice a spike in CPU. That, also seems to have an affect! But as far as your specs go you shouldn't have any problems at all... Your good!

Last note: Under no circumstances, use version 8 as your primary gig software, yet!!! It's not yet finished or fully supported :)

Yes, I have two controllers; a DDDJ-SB. I just got my hands on a Pioneer DDJ-SX (sort of gives me better options), but I have not played with it yet. Its still in the box. SInce I had to migrate to a new laptop, I sort of wanted to focus on tackling that monster before I go all in with the new controller.

Soundcards are internal. I am using 8.1 on Win. On the skin, that's a great suggestion. I have to look closer with that one. Since the current V8 default skin is 1920 x 1080, I didn't even think to use a lesser skin. I so appreciate the reminder not to use VDJ8 live...for now.

XO,
J

Posted Tue 27 May 14 @ 8:34 pm
dont use version 8 for a live performance. clips so hard. im using sony vaio i5 quad processor with i think 4gb ram and yea i have facebook open but thats it and it keeps on clipping and it glitches too. too unpredictable still.

Posted Thu 29 May 14 @ 5:18 am
The crashes I have got so far are all related when editing in the Tag Editor something in the CoverArt selection. I have got about 3 of these, but only once a day. I think that when it takes too long to find a cover this causes a crash.

While playing music it has not crashed and is very stable. So during my broadcasts I do not touch the CoverArt to change the cover as I do not risk a crash.

Posted Thu 29 May 14 @ 5:46 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)